Windows 10: Laptop switching on and running the battery down from Hibernate

Discus and support Laptop switching on and running the battery down from Hibernate in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm still new to Windows 10 (home), from XP and recently bought a new HP laptop. I always leave the laptop with a full battery and hibernate overnight,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Boulder, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Boulder Win User

Laptop switching on and running the battery down from Hibernate

I'm still new to Windows 10 (home), from XP and recently bought a new HP laptop. I always leave the laptop with a full battery and hibernate overnight, with mains power turned off and the lid open. In the past week I noticed twice that the battery was about 80% in the morning so researched and made the changes to try and prevent wake states. Devices don't allow wake, task scheduler, deleting HP bloat, power saving options etc. Since then on Monday morning, the laptop battery was only 1% which I was furious about as I always avoid running a battery down as it causes damage. The battery is also 10.5 hours, and it was only left about that long or less, so it must have been on full power. There was nothing in the event viewer for the time it should have been off. I checked and amended the settings again and made a few more changes. (Including registry settingfor WindowsUpdate AU to 0. Last night I left it plugged in to the mains with a wattage meter. It did not switch on. Maximum watts used remained <1 watt. I have checked the battery and it is fine and works correctly in normal use.

So maybe I already fixed it but just checking if there is anything I might have missed. With an old netbook on XP, although it was never a problem, if I closed the lid or even temporarily turned off the power after hibernating, it would NEVER switch itself back on. It seems the HP with 10 does not do this, although I have not tried closing the lid??? If I have to shutdown rather than hibernate and/or close the lid, I'll have to but surely that shouldn't matter?

If it happens again, I'll know to use powercfg to see what waked it, although I expect it will be undetermined.

Of course, I have no idea why it did not shut down after doing its thing even until the battery was totally flat?

Any ideas? Obviously I'll leave it plugged into the mains until I can trust it. My fear is that it will be ok for a few days then do it again when I turn the mains power off and continue to kill the battery. (I gather 10 likes to reset settings during updates too) Surely it shouldn't be difficult to say switch off and remain off without having to remove the battery!!??

EDIT: One thing not tried yet is turning off "fast boot". I just found where that setting is, so turned it off. Don't know if relevent to this?

:)

Boulder, Jan 8, 2018

2. "Hibernating", system just won't start.

If your laptop is stuck on the screen showing the message “Hibernating”, you may need to discharge the power from your laptop by removing your battery.

To do this, you may follow these steps:

a) Turn the laptop over and slide the switches holding your battery in place to the "Unlocked" position.

b) Pull the battery out of your laptop

c) Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds.

d) Return the battery to its position and lock it in place by sliding the battery switches to the "Locked" position.

e) Plug your laptop into the power supply and press the "Power" button to power on your laptop.

You may also try powering the laptop off by pressing and holding its button down for 10 seconds. This should release the hibernation mode.

Issue is resolved. Than you all

jeetendarsingh, Jan 8, 2018
  3. avpr212 Win User
    Problem with hibernation - Windows 10

Hi

Whenever I put my laptop into hibernate, the screen goes black but it doesn't switch off properly. Effectively, it stays running and draining power. I have an HP pavillion laptop that goes automatically into hibernate when it goes past 10% battery, but it
    goes into a half-hibernate, where the battery drains. I have to plug it in and charge it to use it again. However, the laptop resumes if I do this.

However, it can't just be running everything just without any screen, because I've found I can force a proper hibernate by looking at the wifi button. When it turns from blue to orange, I can hold down the power button and shut it off forcefully, which creates
    a hibernation-like state where the laptop resumes when I power it up again.

I'm incredibly confused. I can give whatever technical or software details necessary. I can't find anywhere else online that details this problem.

Thanks in advance for any replies

avpr212, Jan 8, 2018
  4. Laptop switching on and running the battery down from Hibernate

The two boot options of "fast boot" and "fast startup" are very different items.

The second is enabled by default in Win10, and I also have a new HP laptop that also runs down the battery when turned off -- and this was due to Fast Startup being enabled.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win10; (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
    Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
    Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
    At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
    REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

NOW, FastStartup is disabled.

Mark Phelps, Jan 8, 2018
  5. Boulder Win User
    Already turned fast start off. Went into hibernate last night at 11:30pm. Windows turned my laptop on at 2:08am and left it on all night again. Obviously Microsoft don't care about the environment, destroying brand new batteries and turning computers on all night, any more than they do rushing out faulty updates making perfectly good equpment obsolute. Shame.

Boulder, Jan 9, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    It could be HP that preconfigured it to wake, maybe for their own updates? Whatever, the How-To Geek goes into every possible cause for waking, how to figure out which is yours, and how to turn it off here...

How-To Geek | How to Prevent Your Computer From Waking Up Accidentally

Bree, Jan 9, 2018
  7. AndreTen Win User
    Boulder, you should also check, if your laptop is one of those called in for battery replacement program.

HP Notebook Computer and Mobile Workstation Battery Safety Recall

Sorry, if this has nothing to do with your case, but you didn't provide any laptop detailes and and part of of HP safety measure was:

AndreTen, Jan 9, 2018
  8. zbook New Member

1) Open the HP website > software and drivers > enter the computer's product or serial number > select operating system > view drivers > post a URL or hyperlink into the thread
    HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

2) Run this log collector and post a zip into the thread for troubleshooting:
    log collector v2-beta06.zip

Does the computer only have integrated GPU or discrete GPU (Intel Optimus technology)?
    Which power plan was selected? Balanced, high power?
    What are the settings for boot-start programs and services?

zbook, Jan 10, 2018
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Also, if you monitor it again, when it wakes at 2AM or so, open a command prompt and enter powercfg /lastwake. That should tell you what woke the computer up. Maybe it will give you a clue to what is causing it.

Also check powercfg /waketimers.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop switching on and running the battery down from Hibernate - Similar Threads - Laptop switching running

2. Laptop accidently switched into hibernation mode after it's plugged in reserve battery...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop accidently switched into hibernation mode after it's plugged in reserve battery...: I felt very disappointed that my laptop computer suddenly turned off hibernated after the PC plugged in when it reached the 7% backup battery level. Even though hibernation should not be allowed after the PC laptop is plugged in battery charging. This can be caused due to a...
  3. Laptop accidently switched into hibernation mode after it's plugged in reserve battery...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop accidently switched into hibernation mode after it's plugged in reserve battery...: I felt very disappointed that my laptop computer suddenly turned off hibernated after the PC plugged in when it reached the 7% backup battery level. Even though hibernation should not be allowed after the PC laptop is plugged in battery charging. This can be caused due to a...
  4. Laptop accidently switched into hibernation mode after it's plugged in reserve battery...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Laptop powers down instead of hibernating when battery charge runs out

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop powers down instead of hibernating when battery charge runs out: I have my laptop's "Critical battery action" set to "Hibernate" when running on the battery. The Low and Critical battery levels are default 10% and 5% respectively. The "Low battery action" is "Do nothing".My battery was running low and I was trying to work right up until...
  6. Laptop powers down instead of hibernating when battery charge runs out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop powers down instead of hibernating when battery charge runs out: I have my laptop's "Critical battery action" set to "Hibernate" when running on the battery. The Low and Critical battery levels are default 10% and 5% respectively. The "Low battery action" is "Do nothing".My battery was running low and I was trying to work right up until...
  7. Laptop powers down instead of hibernating when battery charge runs out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Laptops not switching from Sleep to Hibernation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptops not switching from Sleep to Hibernation: Title says it all basically. It started with my Gaming Laptop first (XMG Fusion 15). If i close the lid, the laptop should normally go to sleep for a certain amount of time and after that switch to hibernation due to saving battery. My other laptop (Dell Inspiron 13 5378) now...
  9. How to automatically sleep when the laptop is switched/running on battery power battery...

How to automatically sleep when the laptop is switched/running on battery power battery...: I have a problem with my laptop's battery, so I need help to create a task in Task Scheduler tosleep when the laptop is switched/running on battery powerAND the battery is below 96%. I also want this task to run every time the system starts. Using the advanced power setting...
  10. My Laptop is Automatically Waking from Hibernate Draining Battery

My Laptop is Automatically Waking from Hibernate Draining Battery: One of the recent updates (BIOS, Thunderbolt, Windows) has caused my Lenovo Carbon X1G6 to automatically resume from hibernate each day. The PC wakes from hibernate due to a system scheduled task at 05:30 and then enters sleep mode, leading to battery drain. It does not...