Windows 10: Laptop takes too long to boot/shutdown

Discus and support Laptop takes too long to boot/shutdown in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; English is not my first language, so I apologize for any grammar mistakes. This has been happening for a few weeks already. Whenever I turn my laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Sachisuki, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Laptop takes too long to boot/shutdown

English is not my first language, so I apologize for any grammar mistakes.

This has been happening for a few weeks already. Whenever I turn my laptop on, it shows the Windows logo + loading circle as usual, then sits on a black screen for around 5-10 minutes until the locked screen shows up. When I try shutting it down, it shows the loading circle, then stays on the same black screen for around the same time, until the fans/lights turn completely off.

I don't remember installing anything except for Zoom on the past weeks since it started happening. The laptop seems to be working fine except for this. I thought it could maybe be a battery issue, since I've been using/leaving it on cable most of the time, but it takes too long to load even when not plugged in.

The specs are Intel Core i5 6300, 8GB RAM, and a GeForce GTX 960M.

Any help would be appreciated!

submitted by /u/Sachisuki
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Sachisuki, Dec 15, 2020

2. Shutdown problem on my Windows 10 laptop.

Hello,

We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the issues with the shutdown function of your laptop:

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar beside the Windows icon.
    • Select Troubleshooting from the results.
    • Under System and Security, select Fix Problems with Windows Update.
    • Choose Troubleshoot as an Administrator.

Let us know if the steps above worked for you.

Jennifer Bri, Dec 15, 2020
  3. ram93 Win User
    laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Dec 15, 2020
  4. Steve C Win User

Laptop takes too long to boot/shutdown

Extremely long and incomplete boot

This may be a long shot. My PC hung at boot yesterday after typing the password - see Can't Login - Further Troubleshooting Steps?

I ran chkdsk c: /spotfix and all is now fine. Someone has also suggested running chkdsk c: /r.

Steve C, Dec 15, 2020
Thema:

Laptop takes too long to boot/shutdown

1. Laptop takes too long to boot/shutdown - Similar Threads - Laptop takes too

2. Laptop Takes Too Long To Startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Takes Too Long To Startup: Hello Guys.My computer started a while ago Taking TOO long to open like 2 - 5 minutes and that's absolutely UnacceptableI've tried so many things like factory reset the laptop But Nothing worksMy computer components : Graphics Card : Nvidia Geforce GTX 960MProcessor : intel...
  3. Laptop Takes Too Long To Startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Takes Too Long To Startup: Hello Guys.My computer started a while ago Taking TOO long to open like 2 - 5 minutes and that's absolutely UnacceptableI've tried so many things like factory reset the laptop But Nothing worksMy computer components : Graphics Card : Nvidia Geforce GTX 960MProcessor : intel...
  4. Windows takes too long to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows takes too long to boot: Hey guys, For more than a month, I've been experiencing exceedingly long boot times on my Windows 10 PC. At times it takes up to 5-7 minutes too load, and all I can see during that time is a black blank screen after the Windows logo disappears. Often even after it...
  5. Boot takes too long after enabling Virtualization

Boot takes too long after enabling Virtualization: I'm setting up my Windows 10 PC for development environment with WSL2. After enabling Virtualization from BIOS, my PC boot now takes long. From 30 secs its now booting for 2 minutes or more. I already analyzed by system using the Windows Performance Toolkit, and it looks...
  6. Laptop takes too long to restart

Laptop takes too long to restart: When I restart my laptop, it takes a very long time. The strange thing is that when I boot up my laptop, like fresh boot or simple power on, it is fast and it has no problems ,it just boot up normally. If I restart my laptop, it takes too long that I had to press and hold...
  7. Windows 10 Laptop takes too long to shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Laptop takes too long to shutdown: Of late whenever I shutdown my laptop, it takes so long to completely shutdown. So when I shutdown , everything seems fine and the screen turns off, but the laptop itself is still on, implying its still shutting down. Earlier on it took only seconds before it completely...
  8. Windows taking too long to boot

Windows taking too long to boot: This issue is happening for me for a while now, searched several sources, tried multiple solutions and no success so far. My Windows is taking a long time to boot, over 2 minutes. I have 2 computers here at home, the one that has this issue uses an NVMe SSD from Samsung (Evo...
  9. Windows 10 takes too long to boot.

Windows 10 takes too long to boot.: I know this is a holiday weekend, but I'm set to start a new job working from home. Just as I'm about to go live I'm suddenly noticing that Windows 10 is taking 5 minutes or from turning it on to when I can actually use it. I've already done the basics by looking for malware,...
  10. Windows 10 taking too long to boot

Windows 10 taking too long to boot: I know there are several threads by this name, but my problem, as far as I know, is quite peculiar and I haven't seen anything similar to this in any thread. Yesterday I did a clean install (actually I wiped the whole hard drive and converted it to MBR since it was in GPT and...