Windows 10: Laptop taking forever to open Windows

Discus and support Laptop taking forever to open Windows in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; For the past few days, it takes about 25 minutes for my laptop to boot up and the login page to appear. Once I've logged in, everything is basically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Florio, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Florio Win User

Laptop taking forever to open Windows

For the past few days, it takes about 25 minutes for my laptop to boot up and the login page to appear. Once I've logged in, everything is basically okay. I've tried chkdsk /f, running virus checks, going back to previous restore points and disabling unnecessary startup apps, but all to no avail.I'm wondering if the problem might not be caused by a Windows update or something similar. Does anyone know how to solve this?

:)

Florio, Aug 16, 2019

2. Laptop won' t shutdown (or restart) and sleep [takes forever]

The situation:

• When shutting down, the laptop proceeds as normal until the screen turns off.
    • After the screen turns off, it takes a while for the battery LED to go off.
    • After that the power led remains on and it looks like the laptop is stuck in this state forever.
    • When I try to get my laptop to sleep, something similar happens; the power led remains on, the battery led turns off and the laptop appears to be stuck in this state.
    My laptop is: Asus FX553VD.

What I've tried:

• I have tried to troubleshoot power management and power options.
    • Tried clean boot.
    • Updated the BIOS.
    • Reinstalled windows and tried shutdown and sleep (without installing the drivers and stuff), however that didn't work either.

Additional Info:

• I have multiple operating systems installed in my laptop, however this problem persists on windows only (the OSes are installed on different drives).
    • The disk usage is abnormally high.
    • There are spikes in CPU usage that kick up the fan really fast while idle.

Please suggest other ideas as to what I should do?

[It appears that the only option I have left is to reinstall everything]

10gic-80m8, Aug 16, 2019
  3. AndreTen Win User
    File Explorer - takes forever to open

One thing comes to mind... If you have some network link in Quick access (pinned, or in recent folders section), Latest update broke some network connections. In that case Explorer would tkae some time to open..

- check that all of your network connections are online and accessible,
    - or clear them from list.

You can check recent list from right click on Explorer icon in taskbar too.

Laptop taking forever to open Windows [​IMG]

AndreTen, Aug 16, 2019
  4. Sher Amo Win User

Windows 10 Update Taking Forever

To isolate your concern, we suggest that you perform the following steps to trigger
    safe mode through the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) option. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Improper shutdown process (For Laptop: Remove the battery before performing the steps)
      • Turn on your computer. When the Windows logo is visible, unplug the power source of your computer. Perform this step three times.
      • On the fourth time that you turn on your computer, just simply wait for the
        Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) window to appear.
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click
      Restart.
    • Once your computer restarts, you will see a list of options. Press the
      F4
      key to start your computer in safe mode.

We also recommend that you perform a system restore after booting in
    safe mode
    . This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made. To do
    this, follow the steps below:

• In the Search box, type Control
      Panel and press Enter.
    • On the upper-right window, under View
      by, click Category and select
      Large icons.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
    • Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Sher Amo, Aug 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Laptop taking forever to open Windows - Similar Threads - Laptop taking forever

2. File explorer taking forever to open/close

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer taking forever to open/close: Whenever I have a game open my file explorer and task manager take ages to load. When I close it, it goes back to normal. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-taking-forever-to-openclose/4ea0c062-5983-4ae8-b4db-a84ff5f99854
  3. exe take forever to open on win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    exe take forever to open on win 10: when i try to run an exe im trying to get discord right now it takes like 5+ minutes just to open when i tried to install roblox a week ago and it took way too long...
  4. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  5. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  6. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File Explorer takes forever to open

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer takes forever to open: Idk if it's something I've done, but right after updating Windows today the File Explorer takes 20-30s to open when I click it on the taskbar. However if I click a folder on the Desktop it opens immediately. Anyone else having the same problem or knows how to solve it?...
  8. My laptop is taking forever to boot!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop is taking forever to boot!: I have an Asus gl551jw and every single time I booted the laptop, it took 4 to 10 seconds to boot, nothing to complain, that was really fast since I've never had an gaming laptop before. 3 months or so later, it started taking a whole minute to boot, I don't remember if it...
  9. Laptop taking forever to open Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop taking forever to open Windows: For the past few days, it takes about 25 minutes for my laptop to boot up and the login page to appear. Once I've logged in, everything is basically okay. I've tried chkdsk /f, running virus checks, going back to previous restore points and disabling unnecessary startup apps,...
  10. File Explorer - takes forever to open

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - takes forever to open: File Explorer has always opened immediately (for 20 odd years). Suddenly it (Quick Access) takes so long that it's just not worth trying to use it (but of course one must). Anyone have any ideas about how Explorer could be affected by a recent update or other event? Or...