Windows 10: Laptop Touchpad Automatically Disables and Causes Shift Key Pasting

Discus and support Laptop Touchpad Automatically Disables and Causes Shift Key Pasting in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Earlier this week, my computer started having a problem which is, by all means, bizarre. For seemingly no reason at all, my touchpad automatically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Greg Gaus, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Greg Gaus Win User

Laptop Touchpad Automatically Disables and Causes Shift Key Pasting

Earlier this week, my computer started having a problem which is, by all means, bizarre. For seemingly no reason at all, my touchpad automatically stops working, rendering me unable to use it. This problem can be easily fixed with a USB mouse, I'm aware of that, but that's not the end of it. For reasons even more mysterious than the self-disabling touchpad, whenever the touchpad freezes, pressing the Shift key when writing something causes me to paste whatever I last copied. The Insert key isn't jammed or anything, so the reason for this "Shift key pasting" is unknown, and why it only does that whenever my touchpad freezes is anybody's guess.

I discovered two temporary fixes for this problem. Whenever I press either the Shift key on my laptop's built-in keyboard or the Caps Lock key on my USB keyboard (which I've been using after some of my laptop keyboard buttons stopped working), the touchpad unfreezes. Sometimes after unfreezing I can use the touchpad for hours before it disables again, and other times it only works for a few seconds, and sadly, the latter case appears to be increasing in frequency now. I have a couple of solutions in mind already, including disabling the laptop keyboard whenever I'm online, replacing the old keyboard with a new one, and outright buying a new computer that isn't likely to have this problem.

My question is, are any of these three solutions likely to give me a more permanent fix to this problem than just pressing the Caps Lock key whenever it comes up? Is there another, better solution I'm just not seeing? If anyone has any answers to these two questions, I'd love to hear them.

:)

Greg Gaus, Dec 7, 2018
  2. nxavis9 Win User

I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

Hello everyone,
    My laptop's touchpad works and I don't want it to, because I prefer a mouse. It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series on windows 10 OS.

What I have tried that hasn't worked:
    • start<settings<devices<mouse & touchpad<additional mouse options. This opens a window called Mouse Options which has 5 tabs up top, none of which involve the touchpad. The Hardware tab shows 2 devices: the mouse itself, and the USB. No touchpad there.
    • windows key+x<mobility center. No touchpad to be found.
    • various function keys. No options for touchpad on/off.
    • device manager<mice and other pointing devices. Again, only the mouse and usb show up. It appears the touchpad is working without a driver, which is a little spooky.
    Any other suggestions? I could try downloading a third party driver, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    Thanks

nxavis9, Dec 7, 2018
  3. Josie23 Win User
    I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

These 7 steps allowed me to disable my touchpad (Dell laptop, Windows 10):

1. Win Start button
    2. Type in "device manager"
    3. Select Device Manager to open it
    4. Click down arrow to left of "Mice and other..." to expand
    5. Right click Dell Touchpad
    6. Disable device
    7. Yes

Laptop Touchpad Automatically Disables and Causes Shift Key Pasting [​IMG]

Josie23, Dec 7, 2018
  4. Laptop Touchpad Automatically Disables and Causes Shift Key Pasting

TouchPad problem

see attached screenshot of the keys after I re ran the scan

so i assume next steps are to have that program open that you suggested whilst using the laptop and then when the touchpad gets disabled to check if the keys have changed?

bartjunited, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

Laptop Touchpad Automatically Disables and Causes Shift Key Pasting

1. Laptop Touchpad Automatically Disables and Causes Shift Key Pasting - Similar Threads - Laptop Touchpad Automatically

2. Dell laptop touchpad disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dell laptop touchpad disabled: Hi All,I am using Dell laptop latitude 3410, windows 10. I think I accidentally disabled my dell laptop touchpad while using my Bluetooth mouse but previously its working just fine.I tried to check the options on settings but I'm not quite sure what to do after that. Can...
  3. Dell laptop touchpad disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell laptop touchpad disabled: Hi All,I am using Dell laptop latitude 3410, windows 10. I think I accidentally disabled my dell laptop touchpad while using my Bluetooth mouse but previously its working just fine.I tried to check the options on settings but I'm not quite sure what to do after that. Can...
  4. Dell laptop touchpad disabled

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Touchpad getting disabled automatically in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Touchpad getting disabled automatically in Windows 10: Windows Touchpad is a replacement for the mouse on laptops. When working, it may stop working, and it is Windows 10 that does that. This post looks at possible solutions that make sure to prevent Windows 10 from disabling the touchpad. Touchpad getting disabled automatically...
  6. Shift key causing volume increase

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shift key causing volume increase: Am having problems with my left shift key. When pressed, it starts raising the volume and a picture of the volume bar appears. Have looked in the ease of access to see if any keys had been changed and in volume controls, but cannot find what is causing this....
  7. Shift button stuck but sticky keys disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Shift button stuck but sticky keys disabled: Hello, I have a weird problem where the shift is sort of "stucked" and I have to click it once to release it. Changed keyboard - didn't help, checked if sticky keys are on (not) What else could cause this? Thanks 175108
  8. Stuck shift key, enter is disabled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck shift key, enter is disabled: Trying to quickly enter "?" into a program using <shift+/><enter><enter> Works for about 10 lines, then the enter key is disabled and the shift key is locked. Sticky keys have been disabled in control panel. The only way I've found to fix is to restart the laptop. Is there...
  9. Disabling laptop touchpad

Disabling laptop touchpad: Until recently, there was a box to check on the touchpad settings that disabled it when a USB pointing device was connected. That's no longer there, and I haven't been able to find a way to disable the touchpad. Can anyone help? Running Windows 10 Home with latest updates on...
  10. touchpad enable/disable hot key on lenovo laptop

touchpad enable/disable hot key on lenovo laptop: often when I start my Lenovo laptop the touchpad and pointer is not enabled! as you can imagine trying to get a laptop to do anything without a touchpad is very difficult. I have tried to get into the touchpad function window via 'settings' arrows, touchpad, arrow/stop key...