Windows 10: Laptop touchpad cursor freezes randomly

Discus and support Laptop touchpad cursor freezes randomly in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi all,I am having an issue where my touchpad cursor keeps freezing randomly. Sometimes it's for a few seconds, sometimes it appears permanently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Brigette24, May 14, 2024.

1. Laptop touchpad cursor freezes randomly

Hi all,I am having an issue where my touchpad cursor keeps freezing randomly. Sometimes it's for a few seconds, sometimes it appears permanently frozen. While it's frozen everything else works perfectly fine - I can CLICK things with the physical mouse buttons but no single/double tapping, and I can use the keyboard to navigate my browser & desktop etc. I just can't move the cursor around.Pressing/holding keyboard keys seems to kick the cursor into gear again, if only for a few seconds. When this doesn't work, sometimes pressing ctrl

:)

Brigette24, May 14, 2024

2. Laptop cursor keeps freezing randomly

Hi all,

I am having an issue where my mouse cursor freezes randomly. Sometimes it's for a few seconds, sometimes it appears permanently frozen. While it's frozen everything else works perfectly fine - I can CLICK things with the cursor, and I can use the keyboard to navigate my browser & desktop etc. I just can't move the cursor around.

One sort-of solution I have found is pressing ctrl+alt+del. It seems to kick the cursor into gear again and I am able to use it normally, at least for a couple of minutes, until it inevitably freezes again. But this solution does not work consistently.

Also when this happens, I have noticed 1 issue with the keyboard, which is that I'm unable to long press the arrow keys to quickly navigate the cursor through text (for example if a word has 5 letters i have to press the right arrow 5 times to navigate to the end of the word). So it seems whatever is going on is affecting more than just the mouse?

I am using Windows 10 on a HP laptop, with the integrated Synaptics SMBus Touchpad. I do not currently have access to a wired mouse unfortunately.

Solutions I have tried:

1. Updating & restarting my laptop.

2. Updating the touchpad driver

3. Searching for malware by running a Quick Scan & a Microsoft Defender Offline Scan.

I'd appreciate any help, thank you!

Brigette24, May 14, 2024
  3. Hanging cursor

Hi,

There are several reasons why the cursor doesn't respond. One of which is due to a faulty pointing device. To isolate the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Does the whole system freeze or just the cursor?
    • Are you using the laptop's touchpad or an external pointing device?
    • Were there any changes made to your laptop prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Katrina Men, May 14, 2024
  4. LexGrant Win User

Laptop touchpad cursor freezes randomly

Intermittent Freezing linked to Cursor movement

Hi,

The cursor on my laptop freezes every few seconds when I move it. This happens with both my bluetooth mouse and my inbuilt touchpad. I know the laptop is freezing and not just the cursor because if I run an app with a progress bar it also freezes at the same time as the cursor. The freezing only seems to happen when I move the cursor.

The freezing is just momentary (like it pauses for a second and then goes on as normal). I do not have to do anything to get it to unfreeze.

I have tried re-installing the drivers for mouse and touch pad.

I have defragged and cleaned up the HD.

I have tried doing a system restore but just get an error (I only have 1 restore point because I stupidly deleted them to create space I didnt need in case it was a space issue).

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

LexGrant, May 14, 2024
Thema:

Laptop touchpad cursor freezes randomly

1. Laptop touchpad cursor freezes randomly - Similar Threads - Laptop touchpad cursor

2. Laptop touchpad cursor freezes randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop touchpad cursor freezes randomly: Hi all,I am having an issue where my touchpad cursor keeps freezing randomly. Sometimes it's for a few seconds, sometimes it appears permanently frozen. While it's frozen everything else works perfectly fine - I can CLICK things with the physical mouse buttons but no...
  3. Laptop touchpad cursor freezes randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop touchpad cursor freezes randomly: Hi all,I am having an issue where my touchpad cursor keeps freezing randomly. Sometimes it's for a few seconds, sometimes it appears permanently frozen. While it's frozen everything else works perfectly fine - I can CLICK things with the physical mouse buttons but no...
  4. Laptop cursor keeps freezing randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop cursor keeps freezing randomly: Hi all,I am having an issue where my mouse cursor freezes randomly. Sometimes it's for a few seconds, sometimes it appears permanently frozen. While it's frozen everything else works perfectly fine - I can CLICK things with the cursor, and I can use the keyboard to navigate...
  5. Laptop cursor keeps freezing randomly

Laptop cursor keeps freezing randomly: Hi all,I am having an issue where my mouse cursor freezes randomly. Sometimes it's for a few seconds, sometimes it appears permanently frozen. While it's frozen everything else works perfectly fine - I can CLICK things with the cursor, and I can use the keyboard to navigate...
  6. Laptop cursor keeps freezing randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Touchpad Cursor keeps freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad Cursor keeps freezing: For a while, my touchpad cursor has been not working, or just freezing every now and then for a while. When I use a wireless mouse it works just fine but I like to use my touchpad for other specific things. I'm not sure if this is a visual problem, something wrong with my...
  8. Touchpad Cursor keeps freezing

Touchpad Cursor keeps freezing: For a while, my touchpad cursor has been not working, or just freezing every now and then for a while. When I use a wireless mouse it works just fine but I like to use my touchpad for other specific things. I'm not sure if this is a visual problem, something wrong with my...
  9. Laptop and cursor freezes randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop and cursor freezes randomly: For nearly 2 months i have been having a problem where my laptop freezes randomly, I normally surf the web and then the cursor randomly freezes for 5 or more seconds and again unfreezes when i try to click windows button and restart the Laptop cursor freezes for 5 seconds and...
  10. Random Freezing, Rebooting, Missing Cursor or Unresponsive Touchpad

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Random Freezing, Rebooting, Missing Cursor or Unresponsive Touchpad: I have been experiencing random freezing and rebooting since Nov. 24th. I spent the day working and using the laptop like normal before this happened when I stepped away to eat. I called Asus today to try and find a fix to this. After explaining they asked me to check on the...