Windows 10: Laptop TouchPad locks up and keyboard types randomly

Discus and support Laptop TouchPad locks up and keyboard types randomly in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello Redditors, Recently my keyboard has started to type in random letters when I try to type in something and when this occurs, my touchpad will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/YourRareRedditor, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Laptop TouchPad locks up and keyboard types randomly

Hello Redditors,

Recently my keyboard has started to type in random letters when I try to type in something and when this occurs, my touchpad will also lock up. This problem occurs now every time I boot up the laptop and encounter the login screen, I've plugged in a USB keyboard, and then when I use the caps lock button on it, the caps lock button on my laptop still lights up but only until it starts to type randomly again and then it doesn't come back on until I restart the laptop.

I thought it could be a virus and I ran some checks and nothing came back and then I did what most post says to do and that update or reinstall the drivers but no hope. I tried to see if it occurs in safe mode and sure enough, it does. I'm not really sure what the issue is and unfortunately for me, my warranty expired in January.

Is there something I'm missing? I don't think this is a hardware issue because when it first started, I was able to still use it with no issues for a few days but no the problem is back and this time isn't going away and I'm not sure how I can take the keyboard out and check. It's a Latitude 3190 that I was given to use for school and it's had little to no problems up until this point.

Also to note, this problem was first triggered when I was on YouTube and then when it was working for a few days, it triggered again when I was on YouTube.

submitted by /u/YourRareRedditor
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/YourRareRedditor, Oct 9, 2020
  2. krytoned Win User

Laptop keyboard and touchpad randomly do not work

Ever since I've upgraded my dad's laptop to Windows 10, the keyboard and touchpad stop working randomly, and would work only after I restart the computer. (logging off, switch user, standby mode doesn't resolve it.)
    There is no pattern to it. Sometimes it would be ok for a few days, sometimes it would happen again after a few hours. I mostly do internet browsing on the laptop.

When the problem occurred:
    - The keyboard AND the touchpad would both stop working at the same time.
    - USB mouse still works. (I do not have an external keyboard to test)
    - The lights on the keys themselves (eg caps lock, wifi) would still remain on if they're activated but cannot be toggled on/off as usual.
    - The device manager still showed no problems with the mouse or keyboard.

Things I've tried:
    - sfc /scannow
    - disabled sticky keys
    - used the generic drivers for keyboard and touchpad
    - reinstalled the drivers for keyboard and touchpad
    - updated to the latest synaptics driver
    - made a new synaptics trackpad profile
    - disabled touchpad when using the USB mouse

Laptop stats:
    HP Pavillion dm1-4002AU
    Windows 10 Home 64bit (upgraded from Win7 and then reset to a fresh state)
    AMD Radeon HD 6230 Graphics
    6GB RAM
    Synaptics Driver Version: 19.0.12.95 06Jul15
    Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
    Lenovo ThinkPad PS/2 keyboard

This is very exasperating. I would appreciate some help in stopping this problem permanently, thanks.

krytoned, Oct 9, 2020
  3. Geschi Win User
    Keyboard/touchpad stop working randomly

This has happened a lot since my upgrade to Windows 10, and it's really starting to get on my nerves. Seemingly randomly, my keyboard will stop responding to what I type, and my touchpad completely stops as well (no, I did not accidentally click to disable it). These problems will never resolve themselves on their own, but as soon as I reset the computer everything works again - to me, that sounded like a driver crash, but nope! I checked the driver menu and it told me everything was running just fine. What's even more strange is that I have the backlight keyboard enabled so that when I type, it lights up. And strangely, the keys still light up when I press them, so I know it's registering my typing SOME how.

You would also think that this would be a software problem since it fixes immediately upon reset, but I've noticed that this issue seems to crop up a lot right after I have moved my computer... I'm lost and I've scoured the internet for clues, but no one else seems to have this problem. Please help!

In order to possibly do testing on what is causing this (via suggestions hopefully, I've tried everything I can think of) I am purposely not resetting my computer (thankfully this is a touch screen, but this on-screen keyboard typing is obnoxious). Currently, both keyboard and touchpad don't work, but a usb mouse I use does (the computer is also set so that using the usb mouse does not disable the touchpad).

Geschi, Oct 9, 2020
  4. Laptop TouchPad locks up and keyboard types randomly

KEYBOARD AND TOUCHPAD WONT LOCK

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on windows 10.

I understand your concern and will help you with the issue.

To begin with troubleshooting I would like you to answer the following question:

• What is the KB number of recent Windows update?

• How are you trying to lock the Touchpad?

• What is the make and model of the computer?

Check whether update had installed successfully on the computer by checking the Windows update history. If the update had failed to install then try to install that manually.

Method 1

I suggest you to uninstall the updates first before reinstalling it manually.

To uninstall the updates, please follow the steps below:

• Right click on
      start menu

• Select programs and features.

• Under program and features select
      updates which you installed.

• Right click on
      updates
      and click on uninstall.
    Method 2

I suggest you to try the following steps to disable\lock the Touchscreen.

1. Type device manager into the Search box. Click the
    device manager result, and the Device Manager window will pop up.

2. Expand Mice and other pointing devices.

3. Right-click the touchpad's entry. In the menu that pops up, click Disable.

4. Confirm your choice in the pop-up window.

Please get back to us with updated status, we will be happy to assist you.

AmritaBhattacharjee1709, Oct 9, 2020
Thema:

Laptop TouchPad locks up and keyboard types randomly

1. Laptop TouchPad locks up and keyboard types randomly - Similar Threads - Laptop TouchPad locks

2. Typing on keyboard laptop opens random windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Typing on keyboard laptop opens random windows: Recently my ow got updated to windows 11 from 10. since then my laptop keyboard is working erratically. Pressing 1 opens edge browser, pressing 2 opens some random window, some keys do not function. I have tried all the methods mentioned in the community but none of them...
  3. Typing on keyboard laptop opens random windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Typing on keyboard laptop opens random windows: Recently my ow got updated to windows 11 from 10. since then my laptop keyboard is working erratically. Pressing 1 opens edge browser, pressing 2 opens some random window, some keys do not function. I have tried all the methods mentioned in the community but none of them...
  4. Laptop keyboard is typing random things.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop keyboard is typing random things.: I have checked under the keys and there's nothing and it is happening with all the keys had to type this with the on screen keyboard which is no easy task. submitted by /u/Cultural-Enthusiasm4 [link] [comments]...
  5. Mouse locks up and keyboard randomly starts typing letters.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse locks up and keyboard randomly starts typing letters.: I've been having this issue where I'd type in a letter on the keyboard and it'd start typing randomly and with that the mouse pad doesn't work. I do not believe this is an issue with the hardware, it was working just fine and Windows doesn't detect any issues at all with the...
  6. Keyboard buttons typing randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard buttons typing randomly: My Backspace, Enter, D, } and " keys are pressing different things. I tried using keyboard tester and its typing all over the place. Already did the troubleshooting for keyboard drivers and language and still nothing fixed it. Its a brand new laptop!...
  7. Can't use touchpad while typing on keyboard

Can't use touchpad while typing on keyboard: As the title suggests I can't use touchpad while I'm typing. My laptop is Lenovo Ideapad 330. It has windows 10 and synaptics touchpad. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-use-touchpad-while-typing-on-keyboard/4b8044ab-a5e0-412f-8da7-0ba9344749f2
  8. Keyboard Typing Random Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard Typing Random Letters: Help! I don't know what happened but my keyboard will type seemingly random letters/number every time you push any key (even same key multiple times). I have gone into the computer's keyboard settings and switched languages from and back to the original English settings and...
  9. Laptop keyboard and touchpad randomly do not work

Laptop keyboard and touchpad randomly do not work: Ever since I've upgraded my dad's laptop to Windows 10, the keyboard and touchpad stop working randomly, and would work only after I restart the computer. (logging off, switch user, standby mode doesn't resolve it.) There is no pattern to it. Sometimes it would be ok for a...
  10. Keyboard/touchpad stop working randomly

Keyboard/touchpad stop working randomly: This has happened a lot since my upgrade to Windows 10, and it's really starting to get on my nerves. Seemingly randomly, my keyboard will stop responding to what I type, and my touchpad completely stops as well (no, I did not accidentally click to disable it). These problems...