Windows 10: Laptop turns off instead of going to sleep or worse

Discus and support Laptop turns off instead of going to sleep or worse in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello. Ever since one of the more recent windows updates my laptop (Lenovo) does not go to sleep when I close the lid or leave for a few minutes. It is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MarionNewell, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Laptop turns off instead of going to sleep or worse

Hello. Ever since one of the more recent windows updates my laptop (Lenovo) does not go to sleep when I close the lid or leave for a few minutes. It is set to 'sleep' in Settings (30 mins on battery and 60 minutes when plugged in) but if I leave for just a few minutes it turns itself completely off. All my applications and files are closed and I have to completely restart again.

It is even worse if I just close the lid - when I lift the lid again the power light is on (not flashing as it should when asleep) but the screen is blank and nothing I do will restart. I have to press the power button hard for several seconds to close down completely and then restart again.

If I choose 'sleep' from the Power icon via explorer, my laptop does sleep, so there must be something wrong somewhere in Settings.

I have checked all Settings as far as I can see including hardware settings but nothing seems to work. It is extremely frustrating to say the least.

:)

MarionNewell, Sep 25, 2019
  2. NeilDM Win User

Laptop shuts down instead of going to sleep

I have a year-old Asus laptop and recently installed Windows 10. Now, instead of going to sleep it shuts down.

If I just leave it running, eventually it goes to sleep. If I don't leave it sleeping for too long it will wake up properly. But if I leave it sleeping for a while it will shut down. If I close the lid, instead of sleeping it shuts down. Under "what
    to do when the lid is closed" it is set to go to sleep but obviously this isn't working properly.

This is getting to be a real pain. Every time I open the lid I have to wait while it boots up.

So far, on a scale of 1 - 10 my satisfaction level with Windows 10 is about a 2!

NeilDM, Sep 25, 2019
  3. Windows 10 laptop cannot sleep, restart instead.

Hi,

My system restart instead of sleep, can anyone support for this problem?

Regards,

Syed Muhammad Faraz_86, Sep 25, 2019
  4. Ruz San Win User

Laptop turns off instead of going to sleep or worse

Laptop going to sleep when i play games

Hi Sammy,

There may be some issues with your settings that lead to this problem when you play games on the laptop. Kindly answer these questions so we can help you with your concern:

• Do you get any errors when you start the device again?
    • Did the issue start after applying changes or installing updates on your laptop?
    • Does the problem happen when the device is plugged in to a power source?

To know how you can check if updates were installed on your device, go to
    this page

Let's review the Power & sleep settings to further identify the problem. Follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Open Settings.
    • Choose System.
    • Go to Power & sleep.
    • See if any of the current settings enable Sleep when using your laptop.

You can also run the Power Troubleshooter to get more details about the issue. Refer to the following steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Troubleshooting then press Enter.
    • On the left panel, click on View all.
    • Choose Power and allow the troubleshooter to run.

Let us know if you find anything.

Regards.

Ruz San, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

Laptop turns off instead of going to sleep or worse

1. Laptop turns off instead of going to sleep or worse - Similar Threads - Laptop turns off

2. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies: my laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery is dead https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-turns-off-instead-of-going-to-sleep-when/782d4191-7f46-415a-aaf8-6c78d4b9820a
  3. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies: my laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery is dead https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-turns-off-instead-of-going-to-sleep-when/782d4191-7f46-415a-aaf8-6c78d4b9820a
  4. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies: My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-turns-off-instead-of-going-to-sleep-when/440f5619-851c-48e2-8c2c-f2bfe5bfed9d
  5. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies: My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-turns-off-instead-of-going-to-sleep-when/440f5619-851c-48e2-8c2c-f2bfe5bfed9d
  6. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

7. Computer turning off instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer turning off instead of going to sleep: Hi, so I've been having an issue for a few weeks now where when my computer should be going to sleep both manually and by going idle, it instead just shuts down. Here is a post I had made on Reddit describing the issue between the dotted...
  8. Computer turning off instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer turning off instead of going to sleep: Hi, so I've been having an issue for a few weeks now where when my computer should be going to sleep both manually and by going idle, it instead just shuts down. Here is a post I had made on Reddit describing the issue between the dotted...
  9. Computer turning off instead of going to sleep

10. tablet going to sleep instead of turning off screen

in Windows 10 Support
    tablet going to sleep instead of turning off screen: I use a Lenovo Miix tablet as a "kiosk". The tablet hangs on a wall, and never goes to sleep - but it turns off the screen after 1 minute inactivity. Touching the screen should light it up immediately. All this worked wonderfully with Windows 8.1. After the move to Win10,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop turns off instead of going to sleep amd windows 10

2. my lenovo computer keeps turning off instead of sleeping