Windows 10: Laptop turns off suddenly when there's plenty of battery life left windows issue, not battery

Discus and support Laptop turns off suddenly when there's plenty of battery life left windows issue, not battery in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So i've been searching article after article for an solution to this but still a no go. My Toshiba Portege R930 turns off suddenly when it's anywhere... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SolidF, Jan 26, 2020.

1. SolidF Win User

Laptop turns off suddenly when there's plenty of battery life left windows issue, not battery

So i've been searching article after article for an solution to this but still a no go. My Toshiba Portege R930 turns off suddenly when it's anywhere around 60-70% charged when operating on just the battery and the mains is disconnected. All the posts i've read suggest faulty batteries, to which the OP's mostly reply that they've change the battery and still have the same problem, like myself. I bought a brand new battery and when the laptop is unplugged from the mains and left to battery usage alone, it still turns off at 3 quarters full. The battery also looks like it drains a lot faster than it used to. I noticed these changes, the sudden power off included, after the windows update 1909 a few months ago... it could have possibly happened before that, but to the best of my memory it was after the update. I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem, or at least found a solution for it? It was too late to roll back to a previous version of windows, so instead I "reset this pc". Unfortunately, as soon as it booted back up after the reset, it was right back at 1909 as it decided to update windows before I could even use it Laptop turns off suddenly when there's plenty of battery life left windows issue, not battery :p So that was a waste of time. Does anyone have any knowledge of what specific files in the latest windows update that could be causing this?

:)

SolidF, Jan 26, 2020
  2. shotta287 Win User

Laptop died suddenly - battery issue

Hi all,
    Lately I've had my laptop plugged in a lot because I've been running some design analysis software thats required a long time to solve. Anyway my laptop suddenly just cut off today whilst on battery. Straight away I assumed it was the battery as I had a similar issue back in 2010 with my old device. I've had my current laptop for about 2 and a half years. I ran a battery report which came up with the following information:
    • Cycle count: 489
    • Design capacity: 48840
    • Last full charge: 38373
    So its obvious my battery isn't at full capacity as expected. However, could this be the cause of it randomly losing power? I'm thinking more of a calibration issue. Any ideas on how to calibrate?

Many thanks in advance!

shotta287, Jan 26, 2020
  3. Laptop battery issue

I'm pretty sure the E1505 has "speed step" on it. Double checkthe speed step settings to make sure they are set for long battery life, maybe it's somehow reset itself?

thoughtdisorder, Jan 26, 2020
  4. kenkickr Win User

Laptop turns off suddenly when there's plenty of battery life left windows issue, not battery

Laptop battery issue

I did check it out and already had it disabled so enabled and still no battery showing up in the bios. I guess I'll be taking it apart

kenkickr, Jan 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Laptop turns off suddenly when there's plenty of battery life left windows issue, not battery - Similar Threads - Laptop turns off

2. Sudden Drop in Battery Life

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden Drop in Battery Life: In the last two months, my laptop's battery life has absolutely plummeted. I bought my laptop Dell XPS 15 2021 almost a year ago to today and the battery life has been somewhere between 4 and 8 hours depending on my usage running windows 11. Since the beginning of September,...
  3. Sudden Drop in Battery Life

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden Drop in Battery Life: In the last two months, my laptop's battery life has absolutely plummeted. I bought my laptop Dell XPS 15 2021 almost a year ago to today and the battery life has been somewhere between 4 and 8 hours depending on my usage running windows 11. Since the beginning of September,...
  4. can't turn off battery life extender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't turn off battery life extender: So I remeber turning on a battery life extender but I can't turn it off, when I go to battery settings there is no option to turn it off where the option schould be. Does someone know an other way to turn this off....
  5. can't turn off battery life extender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't turn off battery life extender: So I remeber turning on a battery life extender but I can't turn it off, when I go to battery settings there is no option to turn it off where the option schould be. Does someone know an other way to turn this off....
  6. can't turn off battery life extender

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Laptop battery life

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop battery life: My laptop stays always stay at around 28%. How can I move it higher up so that it will last longer without the power cord ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-battery-life/5e177013-db27-417b-b84b-b9a71ae490a6
  8. Issues with Battery Life Estimate on a new laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issues with Battery Life Estimate on a new laptop: I've purchased a new Dell XPS 13 a week ago, and the battery estimate setting has just been going haywire? It'll show 2 hr 45 min remaining on 95%, then bump it up to 11 hrs at 92%, then it'll drop back down to 3 hours at 90%. I've contacted Dell and they checked that...
  9. laptop battery life

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    laptop battery life: If I am using my laptop mostly as a desktop, will it hurt my battery's overall lifetime if I leave it plugged in almost continuously? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-battery-life/aafec315-5acc-4837-b7f4-8671c54841c7
  10. battery life

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    battery life: what is the approx. life of the battery in my HP ENVY x360 touchsmart laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-life/782d5872-5675-4c2f-8ea6-ebed16048580