Windows 10: Laptop unable to connect to Internet after Windows update

Discus and support Laptop unable to connect to Internet after Windows update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I am using an Asus u46-sv since 2011/12. It came with win 7 pro. Got the free win X upgrade and it is now on win X pro. After the latest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mystvearn, May 26, 2017.

1. mystvearn Win User

Laptop unable to connect to Internet after Windows update

Hi,

I am using an Asus u46-sv since 2011/12. It came with win 7 pro. Got the free win X upgrade and it is now on win X pro. After the latest updates the laptop refuses to connect to the internet. It does detect the WiFi or wired line and says the laptop is connected. However, that is all what happens. The connected status does not translate into bandwidth transfer.

I tried a tp-link USB dongle- did not work.
    Tried wired. Did not work. Tried using my phone to tether via USB and wireless, did not work. Since I was out of ideas, I brought the laptop to the shop and they could not solve the problem as well. They have uninstall and reinstall the driver, tried their own hotspot, used a new Asus USB wireless dongle, wired connection. Same problem. It detects the AP, connects, then nothing.

Does anyone know what is going on?

They suggested that I format the laptop which I don't mind. My problem is how do I get back win X pro as a fresh install. The windows 7 key sticker is still nicely beneath the laptop and the codes are there.

:)

mystvearn, May 26, 2017

2. No internet connection after Windows update

On 20 March 2016, my laptop installed an automatic update. After the update, I was unable to get an internet connection after connecting to a wifi network. I can get a connection through this network with my phone, and the laptop can connect to the internet
    through an ethernet connection. I ran Windows Network Diagnostics, and it said "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer: Windows Sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing," but I was unable to fix it automatically.
    Is there a way to figure out which protocol is missing and install it? I can post the results of the diagnostics if necessary.

WillSchryver, May 26, 2017
  3. Unable to connect to internet after update

I spent several hours trying to fix the same problem alone and then 1 1/4 hours with 1st level Microsoft tech after what they called the "Creator's Update". The guy was useless. Basically took me through the same troubleshooting scripts you can find in
    different tech blogs most of which I tried already. Nothing he suggested worked. We scheduled a 2nd level call 3 days later. That a long time with no internet!"

In my case, the problem turned out to be the Checkpoint VPN software installed on my PC. I had uninstalled the VPN driver after seeing this mentioned on a blog - but seemingly, the whole software needed uninstalled. As this is a well known problem, I'm
    quite angry the 1st level tech guy didn't know to ask the question if I had a 3rd party VPN installed. What a waste of time!

John Bartholomew, May 26, 2017
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Your first step would be to simplify the system for diagnostics. For this you want to disable Wireless in Windows. Wireless Networking creates a whole new set of issues, so let's eliminate those.

Plug the PC into the router with an Ethernet cable. Try all the ports.

Go to Network Connections (Control Panel > Network & Internet > Network Connections) and check to see if the Local Area Connection is Enabled.

If still no internet then go to Device Manager and find the Network Adapter for Ethernet and uninstall it, then restart the PC. Test again.

If none of this works (or you've done it before) then you want to download a version of Linux (Ubuntu is good) to a USB stick and boot into Ubuntu from the stick (no need to istall it, just run it from the stick). Check and see if you get internet connection in Linux.
    If you do then you know it is a problem with Windows, drivers, or settings.
    If it doesn't then you know the problem may be with your router or ISP.

5. mystvearn Win User
    Did all the above before posting the message except the Linux bit. If there is a problem with windows, I will still need to format it either way. Tried connecting at two different locations, did not work.

Does the Win7 CD key work with the installation media website?

mystvearn, May 27, 2017
  6. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Windows 10 uses a new Authentication method. Your PC is registered with them, identified by a unique number held in your BIOS. So when you reinstall Windows your PC should be recognized and immediately Authenticated.

7. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    You might want to try a System File Check before you wipe the thing.
    From a Command Prompt, type:
    sfc /scannow
    and press ENTER

8. Laptop unable to connect to Internet after Windows update

I would start with a power reset of router, then I would run a Network Reset

Start=>Settings=>Network &Internet => scroll down right hand side, Reset Network. (Know your wireless passwords.)

Some have found disabling IPv6 is the answer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...nts-in-windows

Then I would run the following four commands from command prompt(admin) In commands don't key in stuff in brackets, it is there for your information.)

ipconfig /flushdns (Clear the dns cache)
    nbtstat -RR (release and refesh NetBIOS names)
    netsh int ip reset (reset ip settings)
    netsh winsock reset (Reset Winsock Catalog)

If that doesn't cure find an older driver, preferably one from ASUS for your device. Note current driver version that is installed so you can confirm that when you install older driver it works.

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 27, 2017
  9. mystvearn Win User
    Thanks all for the suggestions. Will try it.

mystvearn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop unable to connect to Internet after Windows update - Similar Threads - Laptop unable connect

2. Unable to connect to the Internet after the latest KB5035853 Windows Security Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to the Internet after the latest KB5035853 Windows Security Update: Hello! I have been facing the same issue with my PC. I had restarted it following to which it installed the 2024-03, cumulative update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based systems KB5035853. But since then, my network connectivity has been lost. The internet connects and...
  3. Unable to connect to the Internet after the latest KB5035853 Windows Security Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect to the Internet after the latest KB5035853 Windows Security Update: Hello! I have been facing the same issue with my PC. I had restarted it following to which it installed the 2024-03, cumulative update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based systems KB5035853. But since then, my network connectivity has been lost. The internet connects and...
  4. Unable to connect to internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect to internet: Got hacked and now can't connect to the internet. Removed all downloads related to day and have numerous troubleshooting instructions with no luck. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-connect-to-internet/8b0b75cc-583f-4b78-b8ca-7b925d407012
  5. Unable to connect to internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to internet: On my laptop, I'm unable to connect to the internet, and my wifi option disappears when I troubleshoot it reset my network adapter, and restart the laptop, but still not able to see an icon on the network tab.What can i do to fix this ?my laptop: ASUS TUF GAMING A15 OS:...
  6. unable to connect to internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to connect to internet: Recently, my laptop Lenovo has been unable to connect to the Internet. I didn't install a new update or anything which is what most people suggest triggers the problem but I did perform a clean boot to solve touch pad problems so perhaps that caused it. I have run a...
  7. No Internet Connectivity after Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No Internet Connectivity after Update: Hi, I recently installed the 1903 update on my HP laptop. Afterward, I was unable to connect to the internet, even though sometimes it said I was connected. Did all the normal stuff and nothing worked. I have AT&T U-verse, and nothing else was affected. I rebooted the...
  8. After win10 update unable to connect to internet.

After win10 update unable to connect to internet.: I updated my laptop last night and since then I cant connect to the internet. I've tried flushing the DNA server and looked into rolling back the driver update but as there is no net connection I cant get the laptop to search for a driver. I resent the fact that as this is an...
  9. After update browser is unable to connect to internet

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After update browser is unable to connect to internet: Hi, my Dell laptop asked on Thursday for update. Since finish of update any browser (IE, Firefox etc.) is giving me response that it is unable to connect to internet. Strange thing is that when I run cmd - I can get ping response from any server which I want....
  10. Unable to connect to the internet after automatic online update by Mic

Unable to connect to the internet after automatic online update by Mic: After automatic online updates by MS the system was automatically set offline by MS! Notes: a) hardware is ok - verified by other OS b) network connections were ok during automatic update and are still ok verified by other OS systems c) the automatic update is the only...