Windows 10: Laptop Unable to Shut Down Properly

Discus and support Laptop Unable to Shut Down Properly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all! I have a HP Pavilion 15 laptop that I bought in January this year. I had no problems with this laptop at all until I updated to Windows 10 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LaptopProbz, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Laptop Unable to Shut Down Properly

Hi all!
    I have a HP Pavilion 15 laptop that I bought in January this year. I had no problems with this laptop at all until I updated to Windows 10 and still don't for the most part.
    When I attempt to shut down, hibernate or sleep my machine it goes to a black screen with the power still on, meaning I hold the power button down myself to switch it off (which is not good for it) or wait until it runs out of battery (also not ideal).
    I've googled this problem but most answers are tailored to Windows 8.1 as Windows 10 is still fairly new. Any advice would be appreciated!
    Cheers guys!

:)

LaptopProbz, Aug 12, 2015

2. unable to shut down properly

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you’re facing issues shutting down your PC running Windows 10. I will certainly help you with the issue.

Please try to follow the below methods to troubleshoot.

Method 1: SFC scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps to perform an SFC scan.

1. Press Windows key + X key.

2. Select command prompt (admin).

3. Type the below command and press Enter:

Sfc /scannow

If the issue persists, please refer the below step.

Method 2: Safe mode and clean boot

Please try to go to Safe mode and then do a Clean boot and check if the issue persists.

Step 1: Safe mode.

Safe mode is useful for troubleshooting problems with programs and drivers that might not start correctly or that might prevent Windows from starting correctly. Safe mode starts
    Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. To start your system in safe mode follow the below steps:

1. Press and hold Shift key and restart your Computer.

2. Select Troubleshoot.

3. Select Advance Option.

4. Select Startup settings.

5. Follow the on Screen instruction.

For more information refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Step 2: Clean boot.

Putting your system inClean Boot
    state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

DISCLAIMER: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Hope this information helps.

Reply us with the status of the issue.

Ankit Rajput, Aug 12, 2015
  3. unable to shut down properly

unable to shut down properly Microsoft\windows\windows update\automatic app update will not allow to close

CarlHoffmanIlse, Aug 12, 2015
  4. Laptop Unable to Shut Down Properly

Hi,
    Im also using HP Pavilion 15, having the same issue after upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 my windows was unable to shutdown properly leaving the power led and wifi led on and computer running.

The main problem for this issue is that the Intel chipset driver is not update via Windows update.

You need to go to HP website and download the Windows 10 driver Intel chipset.

Recommend to download all the Windows 10 driver and install them.

Hope you will fix the problem.

-IT Tech

shinigami129, Aug 27, 2015
Thema:

Laptop Unable to Shut Down Properly

1. Laptop Unable to Shut Down Properly - Similar Threads - Laptop Unable Shut

2. unable to shut down in laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to shut down in laptop: I am unable to shut down my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-shut-down-in-laptop/3648ba25-7217-4a45-8e40-86e57a69fa0d
  3. unable to shut down in laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to shut down in laptop: I am unable to shut down my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-shut-down-in-laptop/3648ba25-7217-4a45-8e40-86e57a69fa0d
  4. Not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not shutting down properly: Hi, My machine, running windows 10 pro, 64 bit, does not shut down properly. I only realised recently that if I press a key, it fires back up. I have shut down in windows using the normal power function as usual and it's not set up to go into hibernation. I think it's been...
  5. Proper Shut Down?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Proper Shut Down?: Hello, I have recently reinstalled my windows 10 pro(not sure if that's important info) after several years. The way I had my win 10 set up previously before this, was that when I go to turn the PC off, it clears everything. closes all apps and when I start it, I know I...
  6. Laptop not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop not shutting down properly: For like 3 4 years at this point my laptop wont shut down properly, it worked fine when it was on win7 but at some point i upgraded to win8.1 and on 10 since its release. When i turn it off/hibernate, instead of shutting down properly everything "shuts down" but for some...
  7. Not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Not shutting down properly: Hi all *Smile Bit of a strange problem with Windows 10 on my desktop - it doesn't seem to shut down properly. I get the usual 'shutting down' screen, but (sometimes) when it turns back on it's resumes at a stage maybe 30 seconds before I switched it off. For example, if I...
  8. Windows was not shut down properly but I did shut it down properly!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows was not shut down properly but I did shut it down properly!: Since upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, I remain perplexed about this one issue that is plaguing my system: Almost every shut down is reported in the Windows 10 Reliability Monitor as the computer was not shut down properly. This happens on both shut downs and restarts using...
  9. My laptop doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Support
    My laptop doesn't shut down properly: Hello, so i have a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 (P57g001), i bought it back in April and in the last few weeks it started to freeze whenever i try to shut it down or put it to sleep or hibernate. It is clear that the OS (win 10) is closing all the programs but when it turns the...
  10. Laptop doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop doesn't shut down properly: Over the past week, I realized whenever I would turn my laptop on, it would state that it was charging, which was weird since it stayed plugged in to an outlet all of the time. I tried to find what was causing this and it turns out, my laptop does not shut down properly....