Windows 10: Laptop updated to 1809. Can't get WOL to send out...

Discus and support Laptop updated to 1809. Can't get WOL to send out... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Not sure the topic is exactly accurate. Here's the story: Have been successful sending WOL to 2 other PCs in the house Had problems with laptop and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 56Kruiser, Jan 20, 2019.

1. 56Kruiser Win User

Laptop updated to 1809. Can't get WOL to send out...

Not sure the topic is exactly accurate. Here's the story:

• Have been successful sending WOL to 2 other PCs in the house
    • Had problems with laptop and sent to HP. They upgraded it to 1809
    • Now when I send WOL packets the other PCs will not wake up

Given that it was working fine on those PCs before, and the noted changes are to the PC sending the packet, I'm assuming that my sending PC needs something configured.

My searches on WOL only find stuff about setting it up on the remote PC so it will wake up.

Any suggestions about why my sending PC is not sending?

:)

56Kruiser, Jan 20, 2019

2. WOL Stopped Working

My wife has a Packard Bell TJ68 laptop previously running Windows 7. I have a NAS which normally sleeps and the laptop send WOL packets to wake up the NAS when a user logs on.

When I upgraded to Windows 10 the sending of the WOL packets no longer works. It makes no difference whether I connect up a wired connection or use the wireless. I have tried from the commandline (Wolcmd) and various utilities.

I know WOL is working because a Linux Netbook wakes the NAS successfully as does my Windows 7 desktop.

It then dawned on me that maybe the identical problem with my sons Windows 8 HP laptop, which I had put down to different hardware (and he's had to live with) is actually related to Windows 8/10 not the hardware.

I've had windows update look for drivers but the fact that wired or wireless, two machines, neither work says that it's not drivers.

If I can't find a solution I'll have to go back to Windows 7. Just to be clear this is NOT a problem using WOL to wake up the laptop, this is the laptop failing to send WOL packets after upgrading to Windows 10.

nickcu1964, Jan 20, 2019
  3. Enable Wireless WOL

Hi,

For us to narrow down the issue with your Wireless WOL, we would like to know the following:

• Are you logged in to your laptop as an Administrator?
    • Which Windows version are you using?
    • Were you able to find a Wake-on-LAN option on your BIOS settings?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jan 20, 2019
  4. oldcelt Win User

Windows10 build 1709 WOL now fails

I truly appreciate your effort to try and help on this. However, it's a bit like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. WOL is such a simple piece of software I find it difficult to think that a downgrade of the whole O/S could be effective. In any
    case, what you're suggesting amounts to hours of frustrating work and, frankly, just to get WOL working simply isn't worth it.

Thanks again for taking an interest but I'll just have to live without WOL for now.

oldcelt, Jan 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Laptop updated to 1809. Can't get WOL to send out... - Similar Threads - Laptop updated 1809

2. WOL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WOL: Can wake on LAN works when the windows 10 desktop is on recovery mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wol/25c521b3-4678-4286-8532-72f31cf588dd
  3. WOL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WOL: Can wake on LAN works when the windows 10 desktop is on recovery mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wol/25c521b3-4678-4286-8532-72f31cf588dd
  4. WOL

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Send WOL packets over the Internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Send WOL packets over the Internet: Hi, how can I send a WOL packet over the Internet to a PC without compromising network security? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/send-wol-packets-over-the-internet/d1096e7c-c726-4baa-88a4-4f4ad858a1bb
  6. Send WOL packets over the Internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Send WOL packets over the Internet: Hi, how can I send a WOL packet over the Internet to a PC without compromising network security? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/send-wol-packets-over-the-internet/d1096e7c-c726-4baa-88a4-4f4ad858a1bb
  7. Laptop sending out Network continously

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop sending out Network continously: Hello, after trying to figure out why the internet connection over Wifi is so bad only on my Laptop alone instead of other devices I have noticed that my Laptop is sending out a direct network at all times when connected to a Wifi Network Pic 1[ATTACH] and I have not found...
  8. getting 1809 update ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    getting 1809 update ?: today I heard that Microsoft pulled back 1809 update then why I am getting 1809 update in updater app ? even I have paused update... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/getting-1809-update/75b4f6e6-44fe-49a3-8ae2-4685d5bd2f06
  9. Sending Laptop out for repairs

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sending Laptop out for repairs: How do I temporarily disable access to my OneDrive and other clouds from my Laptop (Windows 10) while it's being repaired? (hard drive issues) Besides backing up my important information, Are there any other precautions or steps I should take? Thank you!...
  10. Can't get WOL to work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't get WOL to work: In spite of the following I still can't get WOL to work: any suggestions please? Action taken:- 1. TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper checked and Startup type set to ‘Automatic’. 2. Network and Sharing Center->Change adapter settings->network adapter->Properties->Internet Protocol...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wol 1809