Windows 10: Laptop Using Backup Graphics Card

Discus and support Laptop Using Backup Graphics Card in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Dell XPS 15 laptop, just over a year old. Using Windows 10. Problem started a couple months ago maybe with a Windows update, not 100% sure but I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by C_048, Mar 19, 2020.

1. C_048 Win User

Laptop Using Backup Graphics Card

Dell XPS 15 laptop, just over a year old. Using Windows 10. Problem started a couple months ago maybe with a Windows update, not 100% sure but I've only had time to seriously delve into it now.

It came with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q Design graphics card. However, it is currently invisible in device manager until you show hidden devices and when you open up the properties it says Error Code 45, device not connected.

I have looked extensively for a solution and found nothing so far. Some things I have tried:

- Running the "hardware and devices" troubleshooter. It does mention that the Cisco AnyConnect Miniport Adapter is disabled even after I enable it. Perhaps this is related?

- Run SFC. It says it found errors, successfully repaired them and gave me a log file.

- Restarting and running Chkdsk. Didn't help.

- Updating the drivers for the graphics card.

Is my only option left to take apart my laptop and buy a new graphics card/reconnect this one? I don't quite trust myself with taking it apart never built my own computer before and laptops aren't meant to be dis/re assembled easy. I also don't see how it could have disconnected, I never open it up like that ever.

Thanks for reading.

:)

C_048, Mar 19, 2020
  2. AndreePin Win User

graphics card problems

Hi,

Your computer makes a noise or beeps from your internal speaker because it failed to detect the graphics card. What we can suggest is for you to try cleaning your graphics card with a pencil eraser. Here are the steps below:

• Turn your computer off.
    • Pull out your video/graphics card.
    • Rubbed the cold contacts with soft pencil eraser.
    • Connect your video/graphics card back to the computer.
    Kindly note that this is just a temporary fix. If the case still continues, I suggest that you contact your graphics card's manufacturer.

Let us know how it goes.

AndreePin, Mar 19, 2020
  3. Graphics card information.

Hi David,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

The error might occur if the Graphic card is cannot update the driver automatically.

I suggest you to update the graphic card manually by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device manager.
    • Expand Display Driver from the list.
    • Right click on the Graphic driver and select
      update driver software.

Also, can download the latest version of the graphic card from the manufacturer website.

Hope the information is helpful. Please revert back with the necessary information and we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 19, 2020
  4. Laptop Using Backup Graphics Card

graphic card

Hi,

There is a possibility that the application you're trying to download is not compatible with the hardware that you have. We suggest that you check the system requirements of the chat application, then see if your device is capable of running the it.

To check the Graphics card information on your device, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + R.
    • On the Run box, type msinfo32 then hit Enter key.
    • On the System Information window, click on Components → Display.

Should you need further assistance, we are here to help.

Darleen Pen, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

Laptop Using Backup Graphics Card

1. Laptop Using Backup Graphics Card - Similar Threads - Laptop Using Backup

2. Can't make laptop use dedicated graphics card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't make laptop use dedicated graphics card: I recently reinstall windows on my laptop and since then it's not using the rtx 1050 that's in it, looking at task manager shows 0% usage at all times, with simple videos lagging constantly. I downloaded nvidia geforce experience to update the drivers, and disabled the...
  3. Can't make laptop use dedicated graphics card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't make laptop use dedicated graphics card: I recently reinstall windows on my laptop and since then it's not using the rtx 1050 that's in it, looking at task manager shows 0% usage at all times, with simple videos lagging constantly. I downloaded nvidia geforce experience to update the drivers, and disabled the...
  4. Can't make laptop use dedicated graphics card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Graphics Card Not Being Used

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Graphics Card Not Being Used: My laptop has been having performance issues recently, and i have noticed that it's because it's not using my external GPU Nvidia GeForce GT 520MX and i think it's probably because the bios it's refusing to use the GPU but it can also be a problem with the laptop itself.So...
  6. Graphics Card Not Being Used

in Windows 10 Customization
    Graphics Card Not Being Used: My laptop has been having performance issues recently, and i have noticed that it's because it's not using my external GPU Nvidia GeForce GT 520MX and i think it's probably because the bios it's refusing to use the GPU but it can also be a problem with the laptop itself.So...
  7. Graphics Card Not Being Used

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Laptop GPU graphic cards

Laptop GPU graphic cards: I have a laptop with an integrated Intel graphics card and an nvidia 1650 ti graphics card. Whenever I go into the nvidia control panel, it does not show any display settings for my laptop and games, which I found out is caused by the integrated intel graphics card...
  9. Graphics card not being used

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Graphics card not being used: [ATTACH] My laptop has 2 graphics cards. The weak one (AMD Radeon R5) and the stronger one (Radeon R7), which is 2 GBs. Obviously the r7 one should be used when gaming but instead, r5 is used, which only has like 512 MBs. As a result, I can't play any game without getting...
  10. Cannot use the Nvidia Graphic card on my laptop

Cannot use the Nvidia Graphic card on my laptop: I am using a MSI laptop which comes with a Nvidia GTX 970M graphic card, however I couldn't use it as my primary graphic card. In the device manager, it does show the graphic card is working properly, but when I plug into another monitor/ use the laptop monitor and go to the...