Windows 10: Laptop webcam shows only a black screen in Camera / Skype apps

Discus and support Laptop webcam shows only a black screen in Camera / Skype apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So I just got a new laptop (MSI GE73 8RF) and noticed that the webcam doesn't seem to show any image in apps, only shows a black screen. The weird... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Saxhen, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Saxhen Win User

Laptop webcam shows only a black screen in Camera / Skype apps

So I just got a new laptop (MSI GE73 8RF) and noticed that the webcam doesn't seem to show any image in apps, only shows a black screen. The weird thing is it works perfectly fine on sites like www.onlinemictest.com/webcam-test/ but not on any of the Windows apps. Skype also says "Some other app is using the webcam currently" or something like that. Yet no other app/site was using it at the time of the error.

The drivers are up to date, both apps have permission to use the camera and mic... Kinda weird, can't seem to find a solution for this.

:)

Saxhen, Aug 16, 2018

2. My Logitech Webcam is showing a black screen in Skype and Windows Camera app.

Thank you for your reply.

At this moment, I dont have any spare webcam. So I have decided to borrow a webcam from one of my friends and will give the update as to how it goes.

Now regarding the other two steps, I downloaded the 'Windows app troubleshooter' and ran it. It repaired the Windows Store Cache files and reseted the Store. (Although , I didn't ,till now, face any problem related to the Store App).

After that I followed your link and downloaded the Skype installer which prompted me to download the latest version of Skype from the Windows Store. I opened the Store and found the Skype app already installed (the one in which the black screen issue appears
    and which was preinstalled with Windows).

And as for the information related to my Windows version, here are the info :

Edition : Windows 10 Pro

Version : 1709

OS Build : 16299.214

RajdeepDutta99, Aug 16, 2018
  3. my camera app shows a black screen

I did all steps described in your email, but the camera app still shows a black screen. Also skype and other tools do not allow use of the camera

henkde wilde, Aug 16, 2018
  4. Kbird Win User

Asus camera shows black screen

Asus says , not all webcams have Drivers as they are Built into Windows , you seem to have a Driver Installed, so I am thinking you have another issue such as M$ breaking Webcams in Windows 10 as I posted on Page 2.

Asus camera shows black screen - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

Are you comfortable editing the Registry ? I just found this fix that works for some people especially with Skype.

[Update] Rafael has figured out a workaround that should hopefully stop the freezing issue; if you are comfortable tweaking the registry, make this change.

Goto HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform,

add DWORD “EnableFrameServerMode” and set to 0,

you will then need to restart Skype.

edit found another post showing how to do it:

Windows 10 freezing issue on webcams | Attractive Review

Kbird, Aug 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop webcam shows only a black screen in Camera / Skype apps - Similar Threads - Laptop webcam shows

2. camera shows black screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    camera shows black screen.: camera shows black screen. i have check all the settings and update drivers but it still shows only black screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-shows-black-screen/39959d61-3384-4776-b798-fcf7229e3ace
  3. my camera only shows black screen

my camera only shows black screen: Ive uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and app.. please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-camera-only-shows-black-screen/f2336a1d-1dfb-4382-81d2-2e968fa6de56
  4. Camera only shows black screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Camera only shows black screen: I have an Acer laptop that uses Windows 10 and has a built-in webcam. I can turn the camera on with the camera app. The green light lights up and I get a popup on my screen that says "camera on" but all I see is a black screen. The camera is not covered up by anything and...
  5. Webcam works on Dell laptop but shows a black screen

Webcam works on Dell laptop but shows a black screen: Hello, I recently bought a webcam Logitech C615 for my Dell XPS 13 9370 laptop and the audio/sound works. However, it only shows a black screen on any application camera, Discord, Logitech Camera settings, etc. I tried updating the drivers, uninstalling, rebooting, checking...
  6. Integrated Laptop Webcam Showing Black Screen In Apps

Integrated Laptop Webcam Showing Black Screen In Apps: Hi. I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3000. My laptop webcam used to work perfectly. But I swap hard-drives i use it on 2 different PC's because I keep my personal data on it. The hard-drive has Windows 10 installed and is working. I open the camera app and the webcam shows up and...
  7. Webcam - not working with Mircosoft Apps - teams/skype/camera

Webcam - not working with Mircosoft Apps - teams/skype/camera: I can see the camera HP Webcam HD2300 in the device manager. the software is up to date. When I open zoom settings the camera is working. However, when I make zoom calls the camera is not working. This started happening yesterday in Teams and it affects everything. I...
  8. Camera is not clear on Skype webcam and camera

Camera is not clear on Skype webcam and camera: Split from this thread. my camera is not clear on skype web cam and camera. I have tried everything. Nothing helps. wonder if its broken. There are no updated drivers to install. According to computer its working fine. Iv uninstalled it twice no difference. Iv changes the...
  9. Logitech C170 webcam not working / green screen in Skype and Windows Camera app

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Logitech C170 webcam not working / green screen in Skype and Windows Camera app: Hi, I'm having trouble with my Logitech C170 webcam - when I open Skype or the Windows Camera app, it just shows a dark/ green screen: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] When I try Facebook video call, it says "hardware access error". Using a desktop PC with Windows 10 (all latest...
  10. Camera app - webcams only?

Camera app - webcams only?: Is the Windows 10 camera app only for webcams or something? I tried connecting my Canon IXUS 95IS and Windows detects it properly but the Camera app doesn't. 58062

Users found this page by searching for:

1. skype camera black screen

2. skype camera is black

3. skype webcam black screen

4. skype webcam showing as black,
  5. webcam for skype only,
  6. skype camera only shows black screen,
  7. skype webcam is black,
  8. webcam shows,
  9. skype camera just black,
  10. why skype camera black screen,
  11. skype web cam is blank,