Windows 10: Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive.

Discus and support Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi , my hard disk was recently unreadable by my laptop. It showed the D drive is not accessible error. I have checked online and was suggested to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Chkdsk issue, Feb 22, 2024.

1. Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive.

Hi , my hard disk was recently unreadable by my laptop. It showed the D drive is not accessible error. I have checked online and was suggested to do chkdsk on the external hard drive. I have run the chkdsk using CMD with command chkdsk D: /f / r. At stage 4 the laptop went into sleep modeI'm using windows 11 and I have since signed in again and saw that CMD is still open and the progress just increased by one . It went from 120106 of 145392 to 120107 to 145392. Total ETA is also the same for the past 2 hours . This did not happen before the laptop went to sleep. Does the laptop going to slee

:)

Chkdsk issue, Feb 22, 2024

2. External Hard drive chkdsk error on 1 machine only

Can someone explain to me why my external hard drive is clicking and showing the chkdsk error 'the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters' on my pc only but is completely fine when plugged into my laptop?

I have checked the hard drive manufacturer’s website for diagnostics software but none exists for the model I have.

To be clear, when I run chkdsk on the laptop I am checking the external hard drive and it comes up fine. There is no clicking when it is connected to the laptop.

Both PC and laptop are windows 8.1. Drivers are up to date and the problem exists after formatting the external hard drive and uninstalling the driver.

MissMcQueen, Feb 22, 2024
  3. External hard drives do not reconnect after Windows 10 laptop comes out of sleep mode

Thanks for getting back to me.

I checked Device Manager - all my drives were listed under Disk Drives. I also looked at what was listed under USB Controllers. Then I let my laptop go into sleep mode. I waited for about 3 minutes before waking it up again. I rechecked both Device Manager
    and USB Controllers and everything looked the same. However, when I went to File Explorer and tried to access my 2 WD MyBook external hard drives, I get a "Location is not available" alert box that says "H:\ (or I:\) is not accessible. Access is denied."
    I have a WD Passport drive that wasn't available either but I initiated the WD Unlocker utility and it opened up.

I turned the "sleep mode" option on the MyBook drives off several days ago since I didn't want them to go into sleep mode unless the laptop initiated it. I have both of these drives set to auto unlock when I log on to my laptop.

Thanks!

ASMarshall3, Feb 22, 2024
  4. Marco Gav Win User

Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive.

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Feb 22, 2024
Thema:

Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive.

1. Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive. - Similar Threads - Laptop went sleep

2. Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive.: Hi , my hard disk was recently unreadable by my laptop. It showed the D drive is not accessible error. I have checked online and was suggested to do chkdsk on the external hard drive. I have run the chkdsk using CMD with command chkdsk D: /f / r. At stage 4 the laptop went...
  3. Update- Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Update- Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode: The recent Windows 10 update, prior to 6-23-23, has now created multiple USB "Power Management" tabs that need to opened and the boxes "unchecked" to allow Windows 10 to sleep.Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode - Microsoft Community...
  4. External Hard Drive sleeping immediately

External Hard Drive sleeping immediately: I have literally spent days on this issue and could sure use some help. There are dozens and dozens of posts on this, none of which have worked for me.I have multiple external hard disk drives that I use for photo and video editing. They power down frequently and cause...
  5. Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode

Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode: Hi everyone. I found a couple of threads on this topic but they're both locked so I decided to start a new one here. The problem I had been experiencing was that my external USB hard drive would enter sleep/suspend mode after a few seconds, requiring several seconds to come...
  6. CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive: Hi - could an external hard drive get damaged when CHKDSK is running and the computer is shutdown is performed from the Start menu or by pressing the power button? Background: I suspect a process was running when a 1T WD passport with 670 GB of data became disconnected...
  7. How to Safely Stop CHKDSK /f of External Hard Drive

How to Safely Stop CHKDSK /f of External Hard Drive: Dear TenForums, I have been unable to access my external harddrive for some time, why I chose to run CHKDSK /f. Unfortunately, I believe that the drive is fully corrupted since the check has now lasted 24 hours and is only at 2 percent (Please see screen dump from promt). I...
  8. Dell Laptop running while in sleep mode

Dell Laptop running while in sleep mode: Apparently my Dell Inspiron 15 laptop began running while in sleep mode i.e. w/ lid closed. When I tried to logon this a.m., I became aware laptop was running at high speed, as if downloading a Windows update. I had to perform hard-stop to take control and logon. I...
  9. How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.: Hello, I'm running the latest version of Windows 10. I have a new INATECK FD2005 external dual drive dock connected via USB to my Dell XPS 8910 desktop. Everything is working fine and the dock is recognized and seems to be working normally, except that it has a feature...
  10. How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.: Hello, I'm running the latest version of Windows 10. I have a new INATECK FD2005 external dual drive dock connected via USB to my Dell XPS 8910 desktop. Everything is working fine and the dock is recognized and seems to be working normally, except that it has a feature...