Windows 10: Laptop WiFi connection drops when on battery power

Discus and support Laptop WiFi connection drops when on battery power in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After installing Windows 10 update KB4467702 a few months ago I noticed my laptop's WiFi connection kept dropping: I'd get the "No Internet Connection"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Shol5m, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Shol5m Win User

Laptop WiFi connection drops when on battery power

After installing Windows 10 update KB4467702 a few months ago I noticed my laptop's WiFi connection kept dropping: I'd get the "No Internet Connection" message eventhough other devices on the same network were fine. After trying countless fixes, I discovered this Microsoft Support page which specifically mentions WiFi connectivity issues due to Windows Power Management. Sure enough, it seems that my WiFi issues only arise when my laptop is on battery, connecting it to a power source magically fixes everything.

I've changed all the settings I know to maximize performance over energy saving but the WiFi issues still arise when my laptop is on battery power. Here are the settings that I know of:

Device Manager: selecting my network adapter and removing the tick next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Laptop WiFi connection drops when on battery power [​IMG]

Control Panel: creating a custom power plan and making sure the power saving mode for "on battery" is set to "Maximum Performance"

I even disabled the USB selective suspend setting on battery because I use a USB wireless adapter

These are all the network-related power options that I can think of but my WiFi still drops when my laptop is on battery. What setting did I miss? One of the running services maybe?

:)

Shol5m, Mar 7, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

laptop battery meter malfunctioning

It is possible this is an issue with a Windows Driver, to rectify this issue, please follow these steps

• Disconnect Power Supply
    • Remove battery
    • Connect Power Supply
    • Turn on the laptop
    • Control Panel - Device Manager
    • Under the Batteries category, right-click all instances of Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery , and Uninstall
    • Shutdown
    • Disconnect Power Supply
    • Insert battery
    • Connect Power Supply
    • Turn on the laptop

I Hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Mar 7, 2019
  3. VNC connections constantly drop but only when using laptop on battery power

My first step in troubleshooting would be diagnosing where the cause of the issue lies.

We can simplify a lot of the effort by isolation:

• First, to rule out if it's any OS setting, driver issue or other kind of software-related cause, I suggest you prepare a live Linux flash drive, install and configure the VPN and VNC clients on it, and run the VPN'ed VNC connection via both Ethernet and WiFi. If the issue is gone, we know the cause is with Windows.
    • Maybe it's some incompatibility with your WiFi infrastructure. Try a different router/AP to rule it out.
    • Try with a different ISP. If you have a mobile data plan and are sure your VNC setup isn't data-intensive, then you could use it as a mobile hotspot.
    • You already said the issue doesn't happen at work and happens at home, but have you checked at another place? I'd try somewhere with a different ISP and router - a friend's house, a library, Starbucks...

That Brazilian Guy, Mar 7, 2019
  4. Laptop WiFi connection drops when on battery power

Cannot connect to wifi with laptop

Hi,

We would like to isolate this issue that you're having right now. We suggest that you try the steps below:

• Go to Network and Sharing Center.

• At the right pane, click Change adapter settings.

• Right click on your connection name (WiFi name) and Properties.

• Click the Configure... button.

• Go to Power Management tab.

• Uncheck/disable the radio button for "Allow this device to turn off this device to save power".

• Restart the PC (Important)

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Leviozar Gam, Mar 7, 2019
Thema:

Laptop WiFi connection drops when on battery power

1. Laptop WiFi connection drops when on battery power - Similar Threads - Laptop WiFi connection

2. WIFI dropping when connected for 15 minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIFI dropping when connected for 15 minutes: My WIFI in my laptop always drops for 1 week now. It will only connect for 15 minutes then drop its connection. On the status sometimes I see connected secured but cant access any sites in any browser. I checked my other device and dont have that kind of issue. The computer...
  3. WIFI dropping when connected for 15 minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIFI dropping when connected for 15 minutes: My WIFI in my laptop always drops for 1 week now. It will only connect for 15 minutes then drop its connection. On the status sometimes I see connected secured but cant access any sites in any browser. I checked my other device and dont have that kind of issue. The computer...
  4. WIFI dropping when connected for 15 minutes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. WiFi drops when HDMI cable is connected

WiFi drops when HDMI cable is connected: Hi all, Extremely bizarre issue on new MSI laptop, using killer wifi. Connecting an HMDI cable to an external monitor the monitor doesn't even have to be plugged in! causes the wifi to stop working. It still registers as connected in the taskbar, but will not connect to any...
  6. wifi drops connection

wifi drops connection: The issue occurs every now and then. Wifi drops connection when my PC is idle. So I have to click the wifi button and press disconnect and then press reconnect. The issue is really annoying...
  7. Laptop's performance drops when on battery mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop's performance drops when on battery mode: I have a Windows 10 Laptop, which is fairly new. My laptop runs smoothly when plugged in, but performance drops noticeably when it is running on battery power. I have set power mode to 'best performance' for battery, and yet there are lags and programs take much longer to...
  8. Wifi disconnects when internet connection drops

Wifi disconnects when internet connection drops: Hi I have a Samsung Note 9 which I use as a mobile hotspot When I connect my Surface Pro 6 to the wifi it works absolutely fine. I mostly use it on the train. When the train goes through a long tunnel or area with no signal, the internet connection is lost. Windows senses...
  9. WiFi connection drop

WiFi connection drop: Every time I connect to wifi on my laptop with Windows 10, it freezes and fails. The laptop works well when it is disconnected, but as soon as I connect it to the internet it freezes. Please help, I can not do any work....
  10. Dropping WiFi connections

Dropping WiFi connections: Laptop, clean Windows install (1809 17763.107). Driver for Intel Wireless LAN Driver 20.80.0.0u installed EventID 1014 10400 5005 5002 5000 Q: Does anybody have a suggestion/idea ? Note: no other applications have been installed yet. [img] - 1014 Name resolution for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my wifi connection drops when on battery

2. wireless connection dropping while on a vpn and battery

3. laptop wifi disconnects battery power