Windows 10: Laptop wifi slow, very fast at work, other devices are fast at home

Discus and support Laptop wifi slow, very fast at work, other devices are fast at home in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ever since upgrading to Windows 10, my Lenovo laptop has experienced paralyzingly-slow home WiFi performance. To test if it was my ISP or laptop, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by doorguote, Aug 26, 2015.

1. doorguote Win User

Laptop wifi slow, very fast at work, other devices are fast at home

Ever since upgrading to Windows 10, my Lenovo laptop has experienced paralyzingly-slow home WiFi performance. To test if it was my ISP or laptop, I looked at my wife's laptop in a performance test at the same distance away from my router, with all other home devices on airplane mode. Note: We use AT&T Uverse as our ISP.

• Wife PC (Chrome) - 17 Mbps
    • Wife PC (Firefox) - 15.2 Mbps
    • My PC (Firefox) - 7.2 Mbps
    • My PC (Chrome) - 3 Mbps

At work, the same speed test (Ookla) run from the same server as my home tests (Duke University) showed 180 Mbps. I'll go through, from my rather inexperienced perspective, various settings I would imagine might be relevant to diagnosing.

Boxes in "Network Properties" that are checked under "This connection uses the following items:"
    [x] Client for Microsoft Networks
    [x] File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    [x] QoS Packet Scheduler
    [x] Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
    [ ] Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver
    [ ] Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol
    [ ] Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver
    [x] Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6}
    [x] Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

Wi-Fi Status

IPv4 Connectivity: Internet
    IPv6 Connectivity: Internet
    Media State: Enabled
    SSID: <Name of Network>
    Speed: 54.0 Mbps
    Signal Quality (at time of writing): [4 of 5 bars]

:)

doorguote, Aug 26, 2015

2. Windows 10 1607 build upgraded wifi problem

So I upgraded my HP p077tx laptop to the windows 10 1607. Now my wifi connects to the system, but is very slow and particularly 90% of the sites don't even load. Google homepage loads very fast and so do the searches. I tried formatting the PC's C drive
    with a fresh install and it still didn't solve the problem. When I use the wifi on this latop all the other devices such my mobile and other laptops in the home aren't able to properly access the wifi as well. But when my laptop is off, the wifi works perfectly
    in all other devices. So the problem is not with the router or ISP network. Please any solutions?

AshokBalaji, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Nokia X6 16gb wifi connection

i have Nokia X6 16GB zitron orignal

wifi connected internet browser very very slow loading daam

i tested my laptop wifi also fast browser

but my nokia wifi connected to much slow internet browser then i download songs mp3 but download very very slow but my laptop wifi connected but download mp3 songs very fast max speed for few minutes but my nokia x6 keep 0% and wait 15min then now 1% to
    much slow i checked my nokia x6 wifi signal is full no problem but always slow

so how to solve

gopala---01, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Laptop wifi slow, very fast at work, other devices are fast at home

Are you connected to a 2.4 GHz network at home? Bluetooth devices and some USB 3.0 devices plugged into a laptop's USB 3.0 port will create interference with your wifi. My bluetooth keyboard/mouse will halve my wifi speed. Add a usb 3.0 external hard drive and sometimes my wifi disconnects during peak transfer.

What WiFi security protocols are being used at home vs at work?

sciencegeek, Aug 26, 2015
  5. 5 GHz band is the solution to this problem.

theveterans, Aug 26, 2015
  6. Not sure if this is directed to my post as I've already moved to 5 GHz to fix it. It hasn't been established yet that it's the OP's issue. I 'm just suggesting the interference as the source.

sciencegeek, Aug 26, 2015
  7. doorguote Win User
    I am not sure where to specifically see if I'm connected to 2.4 or 5 GHz band, but followed an online suggestion and ran the following in my command prompt

netsh wlan show all

The result for my network:

SSID 2 : 2WIRE477
    Network type : Infrastructure
    Authentication : WPA2-Personal
    Encryption : CCMP
    BSSID 1 : 74:9d:dc:1f:b2:11
    Signal : 99%
    Radio type : 802.11g
    Channel : 6
    Basic rates (Mbps) : 1 2 5.5 11
    Other rates (Mbps) : 6 9 12 18 24 36 48 54

Does this point out anything obvious to you guys?

doorguote, Aug 27, 2015
  8. doorguote Win User

Thanks for the suggestion, but I do not have any competing bluetooth frequencies as possible interference. Also, no wireless home phone line to interfere.

doorguote, Aug 27, 2015
  9. You're on 802.11g so 2.4GzHz.

If your WiFi driver allows it, could try matching modes. That helped in some cases. Right click on the Start button, select Network Connections, right click on the wi-fi icon, select Properties, click on Configure, click on Advanced tab. You'll see a list of configurable properties. Depending on the driver, hopefully there is one to select "mode". Try setting that to g only to see if that helps.

sciencegeek, Aug 27, 2015
  10. doorguote Win User
    I did that suggestion, speed-testing "b", "b/g", and "g". I also recorded the "speed" value under the "General" box of the "WiFi Status" window under Network Properties.

• B: Ookla tested at 6.07 up, 1.9 down. "Speed" = 11.0 Mbps
    • B/G: Ookla tested at 13.76 up, 1.9 down. "Speed" = 54.0 Mbps
    • G: Ookla tested at 15.1 up, 1.9 down. "Speed" = 54.0 Mbps

Does that seem to be the only thing I should check, do you think?

doorguote, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop wifi slow, very fast at work, other devices are fast at home - Similar Threads - Laptop wifi slow

2. Wifi is running so slow on my new windows laptop, but fast in others devices.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi is running so slow on my new windows laptop, but fast in others devices.: i can see that more people had the same problems, i need a solution : the internet is too slow!The velocity on Speedtest looks good. i think that is a PC problem like if he has a internet limit. i tried other wifi and its still the same. Thanks u.I have wimdow 11I intalled...
  3. Wifi is running so slow on my new windows laptop, but fast in others devices.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi is running so slow on my new windows laptop, but fast in others devices.: i can see that more people had the same problems, i need a solution : the internet is too slow!The velocity on Speedtest looks good. i think that is a PC problem like if he has a internet limit. i tried other wifi and its still the same. Thanks u.I have wimdow 11I intalled...
  4. Slow download, fast wifi.

Slow download, fast wifi.: Win 10, KilleR Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter. I operate off of a SIM card Wireless Router. The download/upload speeds when checking the router are in 100mbp/s, but when ethernetted/wirelessly connected my PC only garners 350KBP/s - 1MBp/s of download speed....
  5. Wifi slow on Laptop while fast on smartphone and other devices.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi slow on Laptop while fast on smartphone and other devices.: This is a suggestion for those who have tried other solutions and seen the problem persist. This is what has worked for me on an ACER Windows 10 Laptop.0. Assuming you have checked on internet speed, Hint: Google internet speed test sites.1. Select Windows key 2. Click...
  6. Wifi slow on Laptop while fast on smartphone and other devices.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wifi slow on Laptop while fast on smartphone and other devices.: This is a suggestion for those who have tried other solutions and seen the problem persist. This is what has worked for me on an ACER Windows 10 Laptop.0. Assuming you have checked on internet speed, Hint: Google internet speed test sites.1. Select Windows key 2. Click...
  7. Wifi slow on Laptop while fast on smartphone and other devices.

8. Wifi is very slow on windows laptop, but fast in mobile phone or tablet.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wifi is very slow on windows laptop, but fast in mobile phone or tablet.: I am getting following download speeds from same server;Apple Tablet = 3MB / secAndroid phone = 3MB / secWindows 10 Laptop with network cable plugged to modem = 3MB / secWindows 10 Laptop with builtin intel wifi connection= 200KB / sec, then drops to 0Windows 10 Laptop with...
  9. Only 1 device is slow on a WiFi, but is fast on other networks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Only 1 device is slow on a WiFi, but is fast on other networks: Greetings, I have a very strange issue with my laptop. It is a fresh install of windows with the latest updates. The problem is that when connected to my home WiFi I cannot get more than 15-20 mbps speeds. Other devices get the full 90-100. At first I thought that it is...
  10. WiFi very slow while Internet speed is fast

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi very slow while Internet speed is fast: I have 3 Windows 10 machines, including one laptop/tablet. I can get Internet download speeds of 63 mbps and upload speeds of 11 mbps on my laptop using a 802.11N connection with a DLink DIR-842 router. The router's specs are AC1200 Speeds (up to 300Mbps on 2.4GHz and 867Mbps...