Windows 10: Laptop will not boot up after Jan 2021 update

Discus and support Laptop will not boot up after Jan 2021 update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Help! After a recent Windows 10 update, my Lenovo Yoga X1 laptop will not reboot and I get blue screen asking me for bitlocker recovery key. I NEVER... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dtginnyc, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Dtginnyc Win User

Laptop will not boot up after Jan 2021 update

Help! After a recent Windows 10 update, my Lenovo Yoga X1 laptop will not reboot and I get blue screen asking me for bitlocker recovery key. I NEVER set up bitlocker on this laptop so i do not have a key. What the heck?! Is there ANY way to retrieve my data??!

:)

Dtginnyc, Jan 31, 2021
  2. ram93 Win User

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Jan 31, 2021
  3. Microsoft January 2021 Security Updates

January 2021 Security Updates

The January 2021 security release consists of security updates for the following software:

• Microsoft Windows
    • Microsoft Edge (EdgeHTML-based)
    • Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office Services and Web Apps
    • Microsoft Windows Codecs Library
    • Visual Studio
    • SQL Server
    • Microsoft Malware Protection Engine
    • .NET Core
    • .NET Repository
    • ASP .NET
    • Azure
    Please note the following information regarding the security updates:

• CVE-2020-0689 has been re-released. For further information see Security update for Secure Boot DBX: January 12, 2021.
    • For information regarding enabling Windows 10, version 1909 features, please see Windows 10, version 1909 delivery options. Note that Windows 10, versions 1903 and 1909 share a common core operating system with an identical set of system files. They will also share the same security update KBs.
    • Windows 10 updates are cumulative. The monthly security release includes all security fixes for vulnerabilities that affect Windows 10, in addition to non-security updates. The updates are available via the Microsoft Update Catalog.
    • For information on lifecycle and support dates for Windows 10 operating systems, please see Windows Lifecycle Facts Sheet.
    • A list of the latest servicing stack updates for each operating system can be found in ADV990001. This list will be updated whenever a new servicing stack update is released. It is important to install the latest servicing stack update.
    • Updates for Windows RT 8.1 and Microsoft Office RT software are only available via Windows Update.
    • In addition to security changes for the vulnerabilities, updates include defense-in-depth updates to help improve security-related features.
    • Customers running Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2008 need to purchase the Extended Security Update to continue receiving security updates. See 4522133 for more information.
    The following CVEs have FAQs with additional information. Please note that this is not a complete list of CVEs for this release.

Known Issues

The following KBs contain information about known issues with the security updates. For a complete list of security update KBs, please see 20210112. For more information about Windows Known Issues, please see Windows message center (links to currently-supported versions of Windows are in the left pane).

KB Article Applies To
    4598229 Windows 10, Version 1903, Windows Server, Version 1903, Windows 10, Version 1909, Windows Server, Version 1909
    4598230 Windows 10, Version 1809, Windows Server 2019
    4598242 Windows 10, Version 2004, Windows Server, Version 2004, Windows 10, Version 20H2, Windows Server, Version 20H2
    4598275 Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2 (Security-only update)
    4598278 Windows Server 2012 (Monthly Rollup)
    4598279 Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 (Monthly Rollup)
    4598285 Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2 (Monthly Rollup)
    4598287 Windows Server 2008 (Security-only update)
    4598288 Windows Server 2008 (Monthly Rollup)
    4598289 Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 (Security-only update)
    4598297 Windows Server 2012 (Security-only update)

January 2021 Security Updates - Release Notes - Security Update Guide - Microsoft

NICK ADSL UK, Jan 31, 2021
  4. malware Win User

Alienware Area 51 m15x BIOS Update Released

If you were among the group of people experiencing overheating issues with your Alienware Area 51 m15x laptop, then there are some good news for you. A new BIOS update, version X29b P3A30 is now available. The update allegedly allows VGA fans to increase up to 5400 rpm and thus better cool the GPU. To obtain the new BIOS, you'll need to email the m15x support line (L: Area51_m15x@alienware.com). In reply you should receive a link to the BIOS .zip archive. Once you download the small file, Alienware recommends to follow the steps described in the Read full story marker.

Open Nero Ultra Edition, click Backup, and then click “Burn Image to Disc.” Next, select the file “m15x_x29b.iso from the unzipped folder.

• Plug your AC adapter in
    • Disconnect all third-party peripherals
    • Don’t turn off the computer or restart it during the update
    • Don’t eject your DVD/Blu-ray drive during the update.
    Steps:
    • Open BIOS by tapping F12 during boot
    • Set BIOS to boot from your CD-ROM drive first
    • Save and exit
    • Upon reboot, the BIOS flash update will proceed
    • Click “Yes” through the prompts
    • Restart
    Source: LAPTOP Magazine

malware, Jan 31, 2021
Thema:

1. Laptop will not boot up after Jan 2021 update - Similar Threads - Laptop boot Jan

2. Hp laptop not booting up after bios update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hp laptop not booting up after bios update: I restarted my laptop, and a BIOS update happened. So I didn't touch it and it got to 100%. Then the computer went black. When I tried to turn it on, it didn't work, when you plug the power cord in, the light doesn't even show up....
  3. Hp laptop not booting up after bios update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hp laptop not booting up after bios update: I restarted my laptop, and a BIOS update happened. So I didn't touch it and it got to 100%. Then the computer went black. When I tried to turn it on, it didn't work, when you plug the power cord in, the light doesn't even show up....
  4. Boot issue after March 13 2021 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot issue after March 13 2021 Update: I am using DELL Latitude E6420 service laptop. After updating the March 2021 update my laptop will not rebooting and loading windows.It's going into loop and check disk also don't show any error....
  5. Payment on Jan & Feb 2021

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Payment on Jan & Feb 2021: I would like to check the amount of HK$54 for January & February 2021. for what, Since I found the amount in my credit card invoice. please advise https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/payment-on-jan-feb-2021/8f1aad31-2250-4e9e-b592-7df69f240b78
  6. After Jan 2021 Cumulative Update - When machine wakes from sleep and/or hibernate no...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After Jan 2021 Cumulative Update - When machine wakes from sleep and/or hibernate no...: I have gone through multiple tech articles and verified my network types, cleaned my Known Networks, etc. If I restart available networks list normally. If I go to Device Manager and disable, then re-enable the wireless card, then networks list normally. Otherwise it is like...
  7. Jan 26, 2021 updates

Jan 26, 2021 updates: PC tower boots up at a crawl after Jan 26, 2021 updates were installed. KB4598481, KB4598242, KB4562830 Why? Can I uninstall one of these updates and solve my problem. Not kidding when I say it takes 5 minutes to boot up....
  8. Wi Fi connection disruptions after Jan 15, 2021 Update for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wi Fi connection disruptions after Jan 15, 2021 Update for Windows 10: I have Windows 10-64bit. The updates this past year seem to result in random WiFi dropping throughout the following day. Most have resolved in a day or two, but this last one on 1/15/21 has been a huge headache. I've worked through all the Microsoft suggestions except for...
  9. Laptop freezes after January 2021 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop freezes after January 2021 update: My Lenovo laptop was working perfectly, until I installed the Microsoft Update on January 13, 2021. The next day suddenly my Chrome browser freezes, my mouse doesn't work, my keyboard lost it backlight, etc. And I can't uninstall the update. I was able to restore the...
  10. Latest update Jan 13 2021 corrupted my fonts.

Latest update Jan 13 2021 corrupted my fonts.: The latest update, install 1/13/21 has corrupted my fonts. I've tried to search the Community for solutions but I can't use the services.msc or regedit or control panel because I can't read any of the information displayed. All Settings and browsers seem to display...