Windows 10: Laptop will not sleep

Discus and support Laptop will not sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I have a ASUS UX31E laptop with Windows 10 Home that will not go to sleep automatically and will not stay in sleep mode when it is set to sleep or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Kwon Pan, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Kwon Pan Win User

Laptop will not sleep

Hi, I have a ASUS UX31E laptop with Windows 10 Home that will not go to sleep automatically and will not stay in sleep mode when it is set to sleep or when I close the lid. Automatic sleep hasn't occurred for at least 6 months- before the most recent update- and since the recent October update, has been unable to stay in sleep even when set to sleep or by closing lid. It will successfully enter sleep mode, but it wakes and resumes from sleep by itself anywhere from several seconds to several hours later.

I've been trying to resolve the problem myself and trying various tips I have found, I am not sure if any of these are having any impact at all and have no idea if I am resolving the problem or just making it worse!

First thing I did was verify the power option settings, everything is configured correctly. The computer is supposed to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity. This never happens. The computer is set to and will turn off the screen after 10 minutes, display low battery at 36% or less, and hibernate when battery is less than 8%. It just won't sleep automatically and stay in sleep when I manually set it to sleep or close the lid. It will at least enter sleep mode though.

I tried the suggestion of resetting the settings back to default. This did not resolve the problem.

I checked and ensured media playback does not prevent sleep

Cortana is off.

I disabled Fast On

I disabled Windows Maintenance from waking the computer

I checked program settings and made sure none of them will wake the computer.

I checked Task Scheduler and did not find any programs or tasks that will wake the computer.

I tried the power troubleshooter- did not discover any problems.

I used the command (with admin privileges) powercfg /lastwake - it sees it resumed from sleep but does list why.

I used the command powercfg /waketimers - none are set

I used the command powercfg /requests - print spooler caused one wake event, since I restarted that service /requests no longer finds anything that interrupts sleep mode.

I checked Event Manager, any resume from sleep that I didn't cause it lists the cause as "unknown". The interval between going to sleep and resuming from sleep varies from 2 seconds to many hours.

I doubt there are any viruses, trojans or malware that may be causing this- I have Norton Security and it did has not found any problems.

I read that some people have audio services causing the sleep problem, specifically the microphone. My laptop has the microphone (along with webcam) built in, I don't know how to unplug the microphone to see if it resolves the problem.

What else can I do to resolve this?

:)

Kwon Pan, Dec 1, 2018
  2. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Dec 1, 2018
  3. antzshrek Win User
    Windows 10 laptop doesn't go to sleep when wifi is on

Run these steps below:

Method 1: Follow the steps:

Method 2: I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

Method 3: If the above method doesn’t help, I would suggest you to reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back with their default settings. Follow the steps.

Method 4: Lastly I suggest you check your chipset and video drivers, try checking for the updates from the manufacturer's website and update all the necessary drivers, i.e the chipset and video drivers

Let me know if the issue is resolved or if you require further assistance.

source: Windows 10 computer

antzshrek, Dec 1, 2018
  4. Laptop will not sleep

laptop won't sleep can't adjust brightness

Hi,

As you are unable to get the option for sleep in the Start menu, I suggest you to follow the steps provided by
    John T in the link provided below and check:

Why windows 10 buttons are missing sleep and hibernate command?

Also, follow the steps provided below and check if you are able to adjust the brightness.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update the driver.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 1, 2018
Thema:

Laptop will not sleep

1. Laptop will not sleep - Similar Threads - Laptop sleep

2. How can I prevent laptop from going to sleep/hibernating?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prevent laptop from going to sleep/hibernating?: I need to run a program, unattended, for a number of hours. Despite attempts to keep the computer awake using a new Power Profile, after 15 minutes the computer either goes to sleep or hibernates. What can I do to keep my computer awake? Why are settings ignored in the Power...
  3. How can I prevent laptop from going to sleep/hibernating?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I prevent laptop from going to sleep/hibernating?: I need to run a program, unattended, for a number of hours. Despite attempts to keep the computer awake using a new Power Profile, after 15 minutes the computer either goes to sleep or hibernates. What can I do to keep my computer awake? Why are settings ignored in the Power...
  4. My Asus Rog Strix Laptop is Shutting Down Automatically When on Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Asus Rog Strix Laptop is Shutting Down Automatically When on Sleep Mode: My laptop is shutting down automatically when on sleep mode. It might be caused by over-heating on sleep mode. The laptop has a second monitor connected to it at all times.FYI: I have already removed nvidia drivers and installed them from the scratch again.This issue is...
  5. My Asus Rog Strix Laptop is Shutting Down Automatically When on Sleep Mode

My Asus Rog Strix Laptop is Shutting Down Automatically When on Sleep Mode: My laptop is shutting down automatically when on sleep mode. It might be caused by over-heating on sleep mode. The laptop has a second monitor connected to it at all times.FYI: I have already removed nvidia drivers and installed them from the scratch again.This issue is...
  6. On my windows 11 laptop, the sleep option simply disappeared from the start menu.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On my windows 11 laptop, the sleep option simply disappeared from the start menu.: I then looked up on the internet for solutions but when explored the control panel and the settings, the sleep option was not available in Settings>System>Power and Sleep. It also wasn't available in Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options>Choose what the power button...
  7. On my windows 11 laptop, the sleep option simply disappeared from the start menu.

On my windows 11 laptop, the sleep option simply disappeared from the start menu.: I then looked up on the internet for solutions but when explored the control panel and the settings, the sleep option was not available in Settings>System>Power and Sleep. It also wasn't available in Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options>Choose what the power button...
  8. Wifi disabled for few seconds after laptop wakes up from sleep state

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi disabled for few seconds after laptop wakes up from sleep state: when I open my laptop from its sleep state, wifi is disabled for few 10-15 seconds. It happens every time my laptop wakes up, at first I thought it was a windows 11 bug which developers might fix in later updates but problem has been persistent. Any fix?...
  9. Wifi disabled for few seconds after laptop wakes up from sleep state

Wifi disabled for few seconds after laptop wakes up from sleep state: when I open my laptop from its sleep state, wifi is disabled for few 10-15 seconds. It happens every time my laptop wakes up, at first I thought it was a windows 11 bug which developers might fix in later updates but problem has been persistent. Any fix?...
  10. LG Gram 17" laptop won't wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LG Gram 17" laptop won't wake from sleep: I am running Windows 11 Home version. Seems recently I cannot seem to get the laptop to wake from sleep mode without holding down the power button and restarting the laptop.This is a recent thing as last month, tapping the spacebar would always wake the laptop. I even went as...