Windows 10: Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.

Discus and support Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Greetings,I am using an external monitor with my laptop and have set windows to use only external monitor as a display. Therefore I have my laptop lid... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Tony31614, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Tony31614 Win User

Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.

Greetings,I am using an external monitor with my laptop and have set windows to use only external monitor as a display. Therefore I have my laptop lid closed. I have set in power settings to do nothing when I close the lid both in battery usage and power adapter usage.However, my laptop randomly goes to sleep which is really frustrating. I have searched multiple topics in the internet including Microsoft Answers about many other settings related to computer sleep but I haven't been able to solve my problem.Also I have noticed that when I have some program running in a terminal it goes to sle

:)

Tony31614, Nov 26, 2021

2. Laptop goes to sleep when the LID is closed while playing the game.

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in your laptop regarding the sleep mode while playing game. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Have you connected the external monitor to the Laptop?
    • Did you make any recent changes prior to the issue?
    • Are you facing this issue specifically when playing the specific Game?
    • Are you facing this issue after any recent updates installed?
    This issue might have caused due to the power settings for the closing of LID is set to sleep mode.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys and select the Control Panel.
    • Select Power options by searching in search box.
    • Right side select Change Plan setting next to the power plans.
    • Select the Change advanced Power plan settings.
    • Under the list select and expand Power buttons and lid.
    • Select Turn off the display under the drop down of setting.
    • Click Apply. Ok.
    • Close the LID and Check if the issue resolves.
    Please post to us with the results to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Nov 26, 2021
  3. Windows 10 sleeps when using external monitor and closing the laptop lid.

Hey Likitha

Thanks for your response.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you set Sleep function to activate on closing the laptop lid?
    • Did you check if the laptop goes to sleep when not connected to external monitor and lid closed?

To respond to your questions

(1) I have set the sleep function to operate on laptop lid close only when the laptop is on battery power. When it is plugged in I have set it to do not sleep ever.

(2) I have tested that it does *not* go to sleep when I the laptop is plugged in and I close the laptop lid

Further information:

(1) When I first turned the laptop on I attached it to the monitor and closed the lid. It then ran successfully for approximately an hour before hibernating.

(2) I then restarted the system, external monitor plugged in, lid closed and it went to hibernate after approximately 2 minutes.

MelbourneAl, Nov 26, 2021
  4. DC500CR Win User

Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.

laptop with lid closed won't change sleep settings

Hello all,

We use Dell laptops at my office. Power & Sleep settings under 'Sleep' are battery - sleep in 20 minutes, plugged in - sleep Never. Most of our users have the laptops in a docking station (Dell Latitude E-series dock) or use a USB-C/Thunderbolt dock (Dell
    WD19TB) with the lids closed at their desk.

When they un-dock without pressing any other buttons, either by removing the laptop from the docking station or by unplugging the USB-C cable, to go home or go to a meeting etc, the systems are not acknowledging the setting for 'Battery power, sleep in 20
    minutes'. If the laptop goes into somebody's bag to go home, it will come out of the bag very hot and with a nearly dead battery. If someone just brings it into a meeting and never opens it, the battery is very drained by the end of the meeting - these systems
    are still fully active and never going to sleep.

IF someone opens the lid after undocking, the system properly acknowledges the 20 minute sleep setting. If someone opens the lid, then closes it, the system goes to sleep as normal (lid close = sleep is set and the normal action).

What is going on that the system won't acknowledge the power supply change until the lid gets opened? Why isn't it switching automatically to the 'battery power' setting with the lid closed? This is only an issue if the lid stays closed after removing the
    docking station. If the lid is opened, the 'battery power' settings DO WORK. I know the systems aren't going to sleep because I can still RDP into them and they are communicating with other systems. The power light is on steady and hard drive light shows
    activity.

If it's relevant, mostly our hardware is made up of Dell Latitude 7470, 7490 and 7400 laptops. This happens consistently across all of them. They all have W10 Pro 1903.

Thanks!

DC500CR, Nov 26, 2021
Thema:

1. Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing. - Similar Threads - Laptop closed lid

2. My laptop restarts when I close the lid even after changing all the setting to "Do Nothing"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop restarts when I close the lid even after changing all the setting to "Do Nothing": Like mentioned in the title my laptop restarts when I close the lid and when I check the Event Viewer I get this error:- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power"...
  3. My laptop restarts when I close the lid even after changing all the setting to "Do Nothing"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop restarts when I close the lid even after changing all the setting to "Do Nothing": Like mentioned in the title my laptop restarts when I close the lid and when I check the Event Viewer I get this error:- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power"...
  4. My laptop restarts when I close the lid even after changing all the setting to "Do Nothing"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.: Greetings,I am using an external monitor with my laptop and have set windows to use only external monitor as a display. Therefore I have my laptop lid closed. I have set in power settings to do nothing when I close the lid both in battery usage and power adapter...
  6. Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.: Greetings,I am using an external monitor with my laptop and have set windows to use only external monitor as a display. Therefore I have my laptop lid closed. I have set in power settings to do nothing when I close the lid both in battery usage and power adapter...
  7. ThinkPad laptop shuts down when closing lid, even with the "When I close the lid setting"...

in Windows 10 Customization
    ThinkPad laptop shuts down when closing lid, even with the "When I close the lid setting"...: My work ThinkPad laptop shuts down when closing lid, even with the "When I close the lid setting" set to "Do Nothing". I am using external monitor and I want to be able to just keep the laptop lid closed. What am I doing wrong? [ATTACH]...
  8. Laptop sleeps/hibernate when lid closes, even when settings is "do nothing"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop sleeps/hibernate when lid closes, even when settings is "do nothing": My Lenovo E580, Windows 10. Last couple of months a problem. When the lid closes the laptop goes into sleep/hibernate and refuses to wake up. I need to put it off to work again. My power plan is set to "never" - for monitor also and the settings are to "do nothing"...
  9. Laptop goes to sleep when lid closed on fullscreen apps, even though the settings say otherwise

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop goes to sleep when lid closed on fullscreen apps, even though the settings say otherwise: As mentioned in the title, this only occurs when running fullscreen programs, such as games. I tend to use an external monitor for my laptop, so for space management its better for me to keep the lid closed. The issue is, even though ive set it in settings so that closing the...
  10. Do nothing when the lid is closed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do nothing when the lid is closed: I have an laptop with a tv as an monitor. My question is, Can i perform an feature update, with the power option do nothing when the lid is closed? Or do i have to keep the lid open all the time...