Windows 10: Laptop with Docking Station and Multiple Monitors - Laptop Screen does not come back after...

Discus and support Laptop with Docking Station and Multiple Monitors - Laptop Screen does not come back after... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When the power - screen timeout is reached all of my screens turn off. This is expected, and I have this enabled even when plugged in so that I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Andy Hooper, May 3, 2019.

1. Laptop with Docking Station and Multiple Monitors - Laptop Screen does not come back after...

When the power - screen timeout is reached all of my screens turn off. This is expected, and I have this enabled even when plugged in so that I can leave my computer on at night (sometimes with a long job running), without creating unnecessary glow in the bedroom or study.

However, when I move the mouse, or keyboard to get the screens back on, the primary/laptop screen does not come back - only the two extended/external displays come back on. The primary taskbar appears on the monitor that was Monitor 2, and the mouse cannot scroll into the space where Monitor 1 used to be.

What's up with that?

:)

Andy Hooper, May 3, 2019

2. External monitors through both docking station and laptop ports

I recently got a new laptop through work - an HP EliteBook 840 G3. My current setup that I had been using at my desk was 3 external monitors plus my laptop screen. I had two monitors plugged in through the docking station via VGA and DisplayPort and the
    third monitor I plugged into the VGA port on the laptop itself. This worked with my old laptop but with this new one it doesn't detect a monitor plugged into the laptop port when it's docked. I have tried looking through video settings with no luck. Windows
    says my drivers are up to date and I've downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the docking station itself (it's the same docking station).

Would anyone have any advice for getting this setup working?

sublime8365, May 3, 2019
  3. Laptop goes to sleep after undocking it from the station

Power troubleshooter came up with nothing.

Here is what I mean by machine does not come back up. Step by step process of what happens:

• Computer is on an plugged into docking station.
    • I press the eject button on the docking station and the laptop is released. (Note I have also pressed the power button on the docking station first which makes the screen go black, but that does not change the rest of the flow)
    • Take laptop out and leave out overnight.
    • Come back in the morning plug laptop back into docking station
    • Power light on laptop is slowly blinking red
    • Move mouse and type on keyboard - nothing happens
    • Press power button on docking station - nothing happens
    • Open laptop lid (while still in docking station) - nothing happens
    • Press power button on laptop - nothing happens
    • Press every key on laptop keyboard (including function keys) - nothing happens
    • Light is still blinking slowly on laptop all monitors are black
    • Press power button on docking station (or laptop) and hold down for 10 seconds - power light stops blinking
    • Press power button again - laptop boots. When I log-in all applications that were open are now closed and I get warning about unsaved data when I open applications.

Brian C Manahan, May 3, 2019
  4. Laptop with Docking Station and Multiple Monitors - Laptop Screen does not come back after...

External display with laptop and docking station

I have a Lenovo T440p laptop and docking station with a Dell external monitor. When I am using my laptop in the docking station I use both screens and select "extend this display" in the display settings to activate the external monitor. Heres my problem.
    When I remove my laptop from the docking station it reverts to using one or the other displays when returned to the docking station, meaning it may be my laptop or it may be my external monitor. Windows seems to decide on its own which one I get to use so
    I have to go into display settings nearly every time and select extend these displays to use both monitors. Its becoming time consuming and annoying. Why wont it remember that I am using 2 displays. I am running windows 10. I have asked our IT guys to fix
    it but after weeks of asking and not getting any results from what they try a have given up hope. I had a different laptop, same brand and model that didnt display this behavior when returned to the docking station.

Ray Dillon, May 3, 2019
Thema:

Laptop with Docking Station and Multiple Monitors - Laptop Screen does not come back after...

1. Laptop with Docking Station and Multiple Monitors - Laptop Screen does not come back after... - Similar Threads - Laptop Docking Station

2. Docking station not detecting monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Docking station not detecting monitor: I've recently bought a new docking station so that I can extend the display of my laptop. It has a usb c connector, which I've plugged into my laptop and for the most part, it works. The wireless mouse works and various other devices that are plugged into to it via usb work...
  3. Docking station not detecting monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Docking station not detecting monitor: I've recently bought a new docking station so that I can extend the display of my laptop. It has a usb c connector, which I've plugged into my laptop and for the most part, it works. The wireless mouse works and various other devices that are plugged into to it via usb work...
  4. Dual Monitors with Docking Station

Dual Monitors with Docking Station: Hello-I have a Dell laptop that i use open with 2 external monitors. 1 monitor is plugged in via HDMI directly to the laptop, the other monitor is plugged in via HDMI to my external docking station. All 3 montiors worked fine until yesterday when my IT dept got into my...
  5. Laptop Reset Docking Station

Laptop Reset Docking Station: Hi,This is quite a specific request. Are anyone aware of any softwares/systems that could answer to the problem bellow ?We are a company that rent laptops and for data protection purpose we perform 5 to 10 full reset of different windows laptops per day. This is very tedious...
  6. Laptop Reset Docking Station

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop Reset Docking Station: Hi,This is quite a specific request. Are anyone aware of any softwares/systems that could answer to the problem bellow ?We are a company that rent laptops and for data protection purpose we perform 5 to 10 full reset of different windows laptops per day. This is very tedious...
  7. Laptop Reset Docking Station

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Anyone using a Universal Docking Station - for 2 monitors on a laptop?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Anyone using a Universal Docking Station - for 2 monitors on a laptop?: I have a friend who is trying to use two monitors on her laptop. A splitter is not working for her. We are looking at Docking Stations as a solution. Is anyone here doing this? I'd like to know a couple of things. Do these require a USB 3.1 port? A lot have/need a USB-C...
  9. Connecting Multiple Monitors to My Laptop Docking Station

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connecting Multiple Monitors to My Laptop Docking Station: I'm attempting to connect my laptop docking station with 2 monitors. When I close the laptop lid, both monitors go black. Can anyone help me with the connection process? I'm a work from home employee and trying to connect so I can work...
  10. Multiple Docking Stations

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple Docking Stations: I have surface pro, like it, I have docking station, if I travel to another office and use another different docking station, will it disturb my 1st docking station settings ( 2 monitors, one portrait, one landscape) etc......

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can multiple screens be used with no docketing station

2. docking station to extend laptop to 3 monitors at same time