Windows 10: laptop with lid closed won't change sleep settings

Discus and support laptop with lid closed won't change sleep settings in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello all, We use Dell laptops at my office. Power & Sleep settings under 'Sleep' are battery - sleep in 20 minutes, plugged in - sleep Never. Most... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by DC500CR, Nov 5, 2019.

1. DC500CR Win User

laptop with lid closed won't change sleep settings

Hello all,

We use Dell laptops at my office. Power & Sleep settings under 'Sleep' are battery - sleep in 20 minutes, plugged in - sleep Never. Most of our users have the laptops in a docking station (Dell Latitude E-series dock) or use a USB-C/Thunderbolt dock (Dell WD19TB) with the lids closed at their desk.

When they un-dock without pressing any other buttons, either by removing the laptop from the docking station or by unplugging the USB-C cable, to go home or go to a meeting etc, the systems are not acknowledging the setting for 'Battery power, sleep in 20 minutes'. If the laptop goes into somebody's bag to go home, it will come out of the bag very hot and with a nearly dead battery. If someone just brings it into a meeting and never opens it, the battery is very drained by the end of the meeting - these systems are still fully active and never going to sleep.

IF someone opens the lid after undocking, the system properly acknowledges the 20 minute sleep setting. If someone opens the lid, then closes it, the system goes to sleep as normal (lid close = sleep is set and the normal action).

What is going on that the system won't acknowledge the power supply change until the lid gets opened? Why isn't it switching automatically to the 'battery power' setting with the lid closed? This is only an issue if the lid stays closed after removing the docking station. If the lid is opened, the 'battery power' settings DO WORK. I know the systems aren't going to sleep because I can still RDP into them and they are communicating with other systems. The power light is on steady and hard drive light shows activity.

If it's relevant, mostly our hardware is made up of Dell Latitude 7470, 7490 and 7400 laptops. This happens consistently across all of them. They all have W10 Pro 1903.

Thanks!

:)

DC500CR, Nov 5, 2019

2. Laptop goes to sleep when the LID is closed while playing the game.

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in your laptop regarding the sleep mode while playing game. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Have you connected the external monitor to the Laptop?
    • Did you make any recent changes prior to the issue?
    • Are you facing this issue specifically when playing the specific Game?
    • Are you facing this issue after any recent updates installed?
    This issue might have caused due to the power settings for the closing of LID is set to sleep mode.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys and select the Control Panel.
    • Select Power options by searching in search box.
    • Right side select Change Plan setting next to the power plans.
    • Select the Change advanced Power plan settings.
    • Under the list select and expand Power buttons and lid.
    • Select Turn off the display under the drop down of setting.
    • Click Apply. Ok.
    • Close the LID and Check if the issue resolves.
    Please post to us with the results to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Nov 5, 2019
  3. Laptop does not shutdown when i click shutdown and close the lid, it sleeps instead.

Hi Gan,

This scenario happens when your Power Options is misconfigured. For us to have this isolated, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Select Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Select Power & sleep tab.
    • On the right side, click on Additional power settings.
    • On the left pane, select Choose what closing the lid does.
    • Under Power button and lid settings, click the drop down next to
      When I close the lid.
    • Select Shut down.
    • Click on Save changes button.
    • When you’re ready to make your PC shut down, close your laptop's lid.

Note: Every time that you will close the lid, your laptop will automatically shut down.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Nov 5, 2019
  4. laptop with lid closed won't change sleep settings

Laptop keeps restarting after going to sleep (when the lid is closed).

Hi Craig,

It's possible that your lid close action is configured to shut down your computer. To make sure your settings are properly configured, you can refer to the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start menu, then choose Control
      Panel.
    • Change the View by: option on the upper-right-part of the screen to Small icons.
    • Choose Power Options.
    • Select your power plan (e.g. High Performance), then choose Change plan settings.
    • Click Change advanced power settings.
    • Go to Sleep settings, then disable hybrid sleep.
    • Under Power Buttons and Lid, check if
      Sleep is chosen as action when lid is close.
    • Hit Apply and OK.

If the lid close action is set to Sleep, we suggest checking if your drivers are up-to-date. When it comes to sleep mode issues, the driver related are network, chipset, and BIOS drivers. To update your drivers, you can refer to this

link

We look forward to your response.

Angela Pun, Nov 5, 2019
Thema:

laptop with lid closed won't change sleep settings

1. laptop with lid closed won't change sleep settings - Similar Threads - laptop lid closed

2. Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.: I am on Windows 10 HP laptop and when I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep or turn off the screen.I have the "When I close the lid" in system settings set to sleep on battery and sleep plugged in. It doesn't work though....
  3. Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.: I am on Windows 10 HP laptop and when I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep or turn off the screen.I have the "When I close the lid" in system settings set to sleep on battery and sleep plugged in. It doesn't work though....
  4. Laptop is going to sleep after closing the lid

Laptop is going to sleep after closing the lid: Hello, my notebook is going to sleep, after closing the lid, even that settings are set right - to not performe any action.After that, i can wake up notebook, but the system is very slow, impossible to play games etc. I have to restart notebook with lid closed, and then...
  5. Laptop is going to sleep after closing the lid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop is going to sleep after closing the lid: Hello, my notebook is going to sleep, after closing the lid, even that settings are set right - to not performe any action.After that, i can wake up notebook, but the system is very slow, impossible to play games etc. I have to restart notebook with lid closed, and then...
  6. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  7. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  8. Laptop Not Going To Sleep After Closing Lid.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Not Going To Sleep After Closing Lid.: My Windows 10 Laptop does not turn off and is still fully functional, everything still working and going after I close the laptop lid. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-not-going-to-sleep-after-closing-lid/57bbc0eb-9103-4c5e-953d-48f2393646c7
  9. Laptop won't go to sleep after closing the lid

Laptop won't go to sleep after closing the lid: I've recently got the motherboard of my laptop changed, and after that my laptop won't go to sleep after I close the lid. I've checked "choose what closing the lid does" option and everything is fine there. Maybe the guy who repaired the laptop messed up something in BIOS...
  10. Laptop will not go to sleep when closing the lid.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop will not go to sleep when closing the lid.: [ATTACH] Hey guys, hoping someone can help me here. My school issued laptop will not go to sleep when i close the "lid". It will only sleep if I click the start button and select sleep, which is fine, however; sometimes I just close it up out of habit, and when I come back...