Windows 10: Laptop with Win7 & Win10 partitions. Want to upgrade both to W10

Discus and support Laptop with Win7 & Win10 partitions. Want to upgrade both to W10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Currently have two partitions on my laptop. Win7 Pro, which is joined to my work domain and my own personal partition which is Win10, For the Win10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by thedoc46, Jun 24, 2017.

1. thedoc46 Win User

Laptop with Win7 & Win10 partitions. Want to upgrade both to W10

Currently have two partitions on my laptop. Win7 Pro, which is joined to my work domain and my own personal partition which is Win10, For the Win10 partition, I did the free upgrade from what was a Win8 partition. Anyway its been successfully running a Win10/Win7 dual boot for a while now.

I now want to upgrade my Windows 7 partition to Windows 10, so i'll have two W10 partitions. One for work joined to the domain, and one using my own personal Microsoft account. So to upgrade my Win7, i just do an upgrade i presume ?

Will i have any licensing caveats running two versions of Win10 on one single laptop? given the machine already has win10 installed, and the license works against the UEFI, i should be ok right?

Anything else i need to know, or just go for the upgrade ? I'd like to keep all my settings, but it will not be the end of the world if i have to format and do a clean install on the existing Win7 partition.. I have all the domain admin rights, so easily able to rejoin the domain if need be.

Do not want to lose the dual boot ability. I think Win10 should be clever enough to know there's an existing partition with an OS on it, and leave the existing partition alone and not delete the dual boot option when i first turn on tho.

:)

thedoc46, Jun 24, 2017

2. Win7 Install Strategy for Upgrade to Win10

Hello Community,

I have a question: what is the best installation strategy for Win7 to upgrade to Win10?

(a) create two drive partitions C & D from a single drive,

(b) install Win7 on drive partition -C (approx. 20GB or greater) for later upgrade to Win10,

(c) can the application software (ie: Office 2010) be installed and operate on drive partition -D separate from the OS?

My thinking is since I plan to upgrade to Win10, why would I want to reinstall all my application software a second time!

Second, is it a good idea to maintain a separate partition for the OS only or does it matter?

Thanks, Kenemla

KennethCunningham, Jun 24, 2017
  3. LenBet Win User
    Recovery Partition in Windows 10.0

Ok so I have a follow up question to this. I am in the same situation but want clarification. I also have a recovery partition on my laptop and do NOT have any recovery disks that i got from my manufacturer. If I upgrade to Win10 and do not like it or have
    problems...will I still have the original recovery partition to revert back to without having to use any disks?

If Win10 upgrades just fine and I decide to keep it...is there a way to replace the Win7 backup partition with a new Win10 partition?

LenBet, Jun 24, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

What edition of Windows 7 do you have? And are you the domain administrator? It should be the domain administrator that upgrades the Windows 7 to Windows 10.

There will not be any licensing problems running the two different installations of Windows 10 once a domain administrator upgrades it.

NavyLCDR, Jun 24, 2017
  5. thedoc46 Win User
    Its Windows 7 Pro & I have domain admin rights. Also this machine has domain users in the administrators group. So won't have an issue there. More concerned about licensing & writing over the boot sector so i cant get to the other install of Win10 on there also. But guessing i'll probably be ok.

thedoc46, Jun 25, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, then, you should be good. You can always make a backup image of the windows 7 partition first.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop with Win7 & Win10 partitions. Want to upgrade both to W10 - Similar Threads - Laptop Win7 Win10

2. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop: This is probably an unfair question to ask in this forum. But given the depth of expertise, someone might have advice to offer! I have recently done successful clean installs and activations of Win 10 with the help of Shawn Brink's tutorials and advice from other forum...
  3. Upgrade WIN7 To WIN10 Using Cloned WIN7 SSD: Can Both Licenses Remain?

Upgrade WIN7 To WIN10 Using Cloned WIN7 SSD: Can Both Licenses Remain?: I have a WIN 7 cloned SSD and want to attempt the WIN 10 Upgrade on it keeping all my files and apps. In case the Upgrade fails I will still have my original WIN7 SSD and can reinsert it. Question is: once I Upgrade the clone to WIN 10, will I still be able to use my...
  4. upgrading from win7 to win10

upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  5. Acer Win7 home premium on SATA .... want to upgrade to Win10 .....will the upgrade retain...

Acer Win7 home premium on SATA .... want to upgrade to Win10 .....will the upgrade retain...: Is there a way an upgrade to Windows 10 will keep the original installation of "Windows Live Essentials 2011" that came with the Acer factory installation of my original Windows 7 Home Premium installed on the hard drive? We did an upgrade of Win8.1 to Win10 back when...
  6. Upgrade win7 to win10,

Upgrade win7 to win10,: when I try to upgrade my laptop from win7 to win10, I got this message "this PC can't be upgraded to windows 10 your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. no action is needed. windows update will offer this version of windows 10 automatically once the issue...
  7. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...
  8. Bought upgrade to Win7 Ultimate, free upgrade to Win10, want to use upgrade on new computer

Bought upgrade to Win7 Ultimate, free upgrade to Win10, want to use upgrade on new computer: I still have Win7 Ultimate product key. Upgraded to Win10 Pro for free. The computer OS got corrupted so I bought a new computer that came with Win10 Home. How can I upgrade the new computer to Win10 Pro?...
  9. Dual boot w7/w10 , win10 partition raw in win7

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual boot w7/w10 , win10 partition raw in win7: hello, I have dual boot systems win7 and win10. Win 10 is primary system on SSD Disk0 with 2 partitions, boot/system and recovery. Bios MBR. (not uefi) Win 7 is on Disk3 part1 , all is working fine , both systems boot via win10 startup menu. Disks 1 and 2 are GPT raid0,...
  10. Upgrading from win7 to win10

Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716