Windows 10: Laptop WNIC upgrade.

Discus and support Laptop WNIC upgrade. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am running a WNIC mini pci-e in my laptop. I have upgraded the RAM and HDD to SSD. If i upgrade the WNIC (To support newer standards and speeds), do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Skylais, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Skylais Win User

Laptop WNIC upgrade.

I am running a WNIC mini pci-e in my laptop. I have upgraded the RAM and HDD to SSD. If i upgrade the WNIC (To support newer standards and speeds), do the antennas matter?

:)

Skylais, Oct 4, 2015
  2. dan731028 Win User

Wifi will not consistantly enable after Windows 10 upgrade; HP Pavilion dv6 laptop

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 that has an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 WLAN/Bluetooth NIC installed. I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. After the upgrade I noticed the toggle on my laptop would only toggle airplane mode on and off. I also cannot enable
    WiFi from Settings within Windows 10. When I click on the slider to enable it, it immediately slides back to disabled.

I've done a lot of searching on the internet and have found a whole host of things to try to get this working, and nothing has helped. One minor success I have found is if I install JP-BT_18.1.1525.1445_e64 from Intel's website, reboot, go into the BIOs and
    set that to default, on next boot the wireless card will become active. If I shutdown or reboot, the problem comes back. I may have to uninstall and re-install the drivers several times before I can get the wireless card to enable again, and again, it is
    only active until I reboot again.

The driver file I mentioned above installs Intel driver 15.1.1.1 signed by intel per device manager. Only when I can successfully enable the card do I see the bluetooth devices and they receive driver 10.0.10586.0 signed by windows. At this point bluetooth
    is functional, but wifi is not. If I right click on Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 and update the driver while the card is enabled the driver updates to driver 15.18.0.1 signed by intel. At this point I can get on the internet wirelessly.

Sometimes to get the driver install to work, I have to reboot windows. I can tell if the install was successful because at bootup, the WNIC is disabled. Before I sign in if I hit the toggle on my laptop and the Airplane Mode notification doesn't appear,
    I know the install was successful.

I've tried installing the drivers in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and Windows 8. Per Intel's website, my WNIC is supported by windows 10, but the site says to use drivers for Windows 8 (not 8.1). I initially started my upgrade process using my laptop
    with everything still installed. I read where the cisco vpn client could cause corruption and some fixed the issue by reverting back to 7, uninstalling the anyconnect client, and re-upgrading. I had issues trying to remove that in windows 7 once I reverted,
    so after troubleshooting that for a while I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 and do a fresh reset of my PC. That did not fix the issue, but now my windows partition is running a fresh version of windows 10.

I also found where people had success running the following commands in command prompt (admin):

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

I ran these commands while the WNIC was enabled. Shutdown the PC and fired it back up. I had to toggle the wifi switch on my laptop, but wifi did turn on. After Win10 loaded, I rebooted, toggled the wifi switch and airplane mode turned on.

Can anyone help me figure this out? I've been trying everything I can find online the last 2 days and nothing has worked. I'm just looking to get my wifi adapter to work like it did in Windows 7. Turn on when I boot the machine, and not flake out every time
    I reboot or shutdown. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

dan731028, Oct 4, 2015
  3. dan731028 Win User
    Wifi will not consistantly enable after Windows 10 upgrade; HP Pavilion dv6 laptop

I think after two days of beating my head against the wall, I have fixed the issue. The BIOS installed on my machine was the recommended BIOS for Windows 7 from HP. I installed the BIOS recommendation from HP for Windows 8 (version F.2D Rev A) and now
    I've rebooted and restarted several times now, and each time my wireless NIC automatically enables and connects to my SSID. This is something that hasn't happened since I upgraded to Windows 10. In troubleshooting, it came down to I could only enable my
    WNIC after defaulting the BIOS, and I would have had to do that at every startup. I was desperate and decided to give installing the Windows 8 BIOS for my machine and it now works as expected.

For anyone who is having the same issue, here's a recap of what I did:

HP Pavilion dv6 laptop

Verified WLAN driver for Intel Centrino Wireless-N NIC was version 15.18.0.1 signed by Intel

Verified Bluetooth driver was version 10.0.10586.0 signed by windows

Updated BIOS to Windows 8 version for my laptop; vF.2D Rev A

Hope this helps someone else!! This question can be marked as answered. I don't seem to have an option to mark my own post as an answer.

dan731028, Oct 4, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Laptop WNIC upgrade.

From what I've seen in replacing display panels the antenna wires seemed to be the same as in others. The wires surround the panel and follow the display cable/camera cable into the motherboard. They may be somewhat fragile against brute force so be careful.

Berton, Oct 4, 2015
  5. Skylais Win User
    Yes, i have noticed that too but i was wondering if a different set of antennae cables is needed to support newer WNICs. I don't think so, but i am not sure. Also there is an unused gray antennae cable (wrapped in a little plastic bubble) besides the normal white and black ones. There are three in total, can i use all three for a 3 stream card?
    Lastly, if i change this, will windows 10 consider it a "hardware" change and mess up my activation for the future?

Skylais, Oct 4, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    It's the hardware that supports new standards, not the antennas. See if there is a new driver for your WiFi than supports new standards. No, just changing the antenna cables, or even the WiFi hardware shouldn't mess with your activation! It is not a major component such as the CPU. In the unlikely event that Windows need activation again (I doubt it) you should be able to just do it via internet without any issue. Just click on activate.

spapakons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Laptop WNIC upgrade.

1. Laptop WNIC upgrade. - Similar Threads - Laptop WNIC upgrade

2. Upgrading Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading Laptop: What is the best way to save my data and programs when I upgrade my Windows laptop? I am moving from Windows 10 to 11 in this upgrade, and from ACER Aspire to HP Envy, if that makes a difference. I think my options are to use my external hard drive OR to use OneDrive cloud...
  3. Upgrading Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading Laptop: What is the best way to save my data and programs when I upgrade my Windows laptop? I am moving from Windows 10 to 11 in this upgrade, and from ACER Aspire to HP Envy, if that makes a difference. I think my options are to use my external hard drive OR to use OneDrive cloud...
  4. Upgrading Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. upgrade laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgrade laptop: how can i install win 10 on the dell n5110 laptop? PLEASE GUIDE ME WITH DETAILS.is that working right after? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-laptop/6fe16b5a-bb61-410f-9aff-87338dd23eb7
  6. Upgrading Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrading Laptop: Hello there, I have been doing all that I can to upgrade and improve the performance of my old ASUS X501A laptop, including upping from windows 8.1 to 10, maxing out the RAM from 4GB to 8GB and finally, replacing the 500GB HDD to a 1TB SSD. I followed all the tutorials I...
  7. Upgrades to Laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrades to Laptop: I have a Lenovo 110-15ISK Laptop (Ideapad) - Type 80UD. Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100U CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) -What kind of SSD should I buy? -How to install a 120GB SSD in there? -How to put the Windows from the current HDD to...
  8. Upgrades to Laptop

Upgrades to Laptop: I have a Lenovo 110-15ISK Laptop Ideapad - Type 80UD. Processor: IntelR CoreTM i3-6100U CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors I was wondering how to put an 120GB SSD in there. How to put the Windows from current HDD to SSD so it boots fast? Also how...
  9. Upgrading laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading laptop: I have a Dell Latitude E6440 with 4GB of memory and an HDD. I've found the specifications and double and triple checked my laptop can support an upgrade to an SSD and 16GB of memory, along with the tutorials to do both. I'm still fairly new in the world of pc's and upgrading...
  10. Samsung RV509 And Broadcomm WNIC Problem

Samsung RV509 And Broadcomm WNIC Problem: I'm Using Samsung's RV509 Laptop And As Windows 10 Not Supported In My Laptop While I'm Having The Stock BroadComm WNIC Card. So I Removed And Installed Windows 10 On My Laptop.... Now Can You Tell Me Is This Card Work With My Laptop And Windows 10? Amazon.com: Atheros...