Windows 10: Laptop won' t shutdown (or restart) and sleep [takes forever]

Discus and support Laptop won' t shutdown (or restart) and sleep [takes forever] in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; The situation: When shutting down, the laptop proceeds as normal until the screen turns off. After the screen turns off, it takes a while for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by 10gic-80m8, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Laptop won' t shutdown (or restart) and sleep [takes forever]

The situation:

• When shutting down, the laptop proceeds as normal until the screen turns off.
    • After the screen turns off, it takes a while for the battery LED to go off.
    • After that the power led remains on and it looks like the laptop is stuck in this state forever.
    • When I try to get my laptop to sleep, something similar happens; the power led remains on, the battery led turns off and the laptop appears to be stuck in this state.

My laptop is: Asus FX553VD.

What I've tried:

• I have tried to troubleshoot power management and power options.
    • Tried clean boot.
    • Updated the BIOS.
    • Reinstalled windows and tried shutdown and sleep (without installing the drivers and stuff), however that didn't work either.

Additional Info:

• I have multiple operating systems installed in my laptop, however this problem persists on windows only (the OSes are installed on different drives).
    • The disk usage is abnormally high.
    • There are spikes in CPU usage that kick up the fan really fast while idle.

Please suggest other ideas as to what I should do?

[It appears that the only option I have left is to reinstall everything]

:)

10gic-80m8, Dec 28, 2018

2. my computer won`t wake up after goes to sleep

these computer won`t wake up after goes to sleep ?

oscarperezvc, Dec 28, 2018
  3. My Laptop wont shutdown , sleep and restart!!

I tried doing that but I don't have any option like that!
    Laptop won' t shutdown (or restart) and sleep [takes forever] [​IMG]
    !

The Magician, Dec 28, 2018
  4. Vinodh.V Win User

Laptop won' t shutdown (or restart) and sleep [takes forever]

ShutDown button in desktop (Win-10)

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

You can create shortcut for Shutdown, restart and sleep by following the below steps:

• First right-click on the desktop, choose New and then Shortcut.
    • In the shortcut location box, you’ll need to enter the correct command, which I’ve listed for you below.
    • For Shutdown type the below command:
    Shutdown.exe -s -t 00

• For Restart type the below command:
    Shutdown.exe -r -t 00

• For Sleep type the below command:
    rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

After you click Finish, you should now have a new icon that you can double-click to immediately shutdown, restart, or lock your computer.

Hope this information helps, for further assistance please reply.

Vinodh.V, Dec 28, 2018
Thema:

Laptop won' t shutdown (or restart) and sleep [takes forever]

1. Laptop won' t shutdown (or restart) and sleep [takes forever] - Similar Threads - Laptop won' shutdown

2. PC Takes Forever To Go To Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Takes Forever To Go To Sleep: I click the Windows icon and then hit Sleep. The screen shuts off and the flashing lights on the mouse and keyboard shut off but the PC stays on, sometimes for a good two minutes before finally going to sleep. Today it stayed on for five minutes.... and another five..... then...
  3. PC Takes Forever To Go To Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Takes Forever To Go To Sleep: I click the Windows icon and then hit Sleep. The screen shuts off and the flashing lights on the mouse and keyboard shut off but the PC stays on, sometimes for a good two minutes before finally going to sleep. Today it stayed on for five minutes.... and another five..... then...
  4. PC Takes Forever To Go To Sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Camera won´t work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Camera won´t work: Hi, I can´t get my camera to record or take pictures. It doesn´t work in the camera app nor in Google Meet - the light next to the camera is on, but the screen just shows a crossed out camera.. I´ve tried restarting the camera app, and uninstalling and reinstalling it +...
  6. Applications won`t maximize

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Applications won`t maximize: Following a W10 update, applications only open as minimised on the taskbar and won`t maximize. I have tried closing them minimised but no good. Can anyone help ? thanks...
  7. Nvidia control panel wont open and shutdown/restart takes forever.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Nvidia control panel wont open and shutdown/restart takes forever.: Just started happening out of nowhere yesterday on Win 10 Pro - 1903. Takes like 10-20 minutes to restart or shutdown and the Nvidia Control panel won't open, other applications have been crashing and behaving oddly. I have wiped the drivers with DDU and tried both the...
  8. battery won"t charge

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    battery won"t charge: Lap top has been sitting a while and not used. When get got it out and started to charge everything seemed fine. However, I was hooked up to the charging cable. When I shut down the computer and later tried to turn on, there was no charge on lap top. I'm not sure what to...
  9. Laptop won`t sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop won`t sleep: Hi everyone, I´ve had a problem with my laptop over the last couple of weeks. When I select sleep on the start menu, the only thing the laptop does is turn the screen off. If I move the mouse or touch a key the screen turns back on as if nothing happened (even the start menu...
  10. [1803] Takes forever to shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    [1803] Takes forever to shutdown: I'm always having a problem when shutting down my laptop. IT always took forever to shutdown, sometimes I leave my laptop for already more than 20 mins. and still doesn't shutdown. After searching from the internet, I came to the Event Viewer and I see lots of Warnings and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hibernate and restart take forever