Windows 10: Laptop won't boot after accidentally removing letter associated with recovery drive

Discus and support Laptop won't boot after accidentally removing letter associated with recovery drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So last night my computer crashed and when I tried to reboot it the BSOD kept appearing with the Log file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Crimson7W10, May 16, 2022.

1. Laptop won't boot after accidentally removing letter associated with recovery drive

So last night my computer crashed and when I tried to reboot it the BSOD kept appearing with the Log file E:\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txtI tried to read the txt file on cmd but it would not open so I thought that the path was incorrect because I never had an E: drive before. I looked it up on Google and someone said to remove that letter using disk part because that was a mistake due to an update.I did the commands but little did I know that I made my problem worse. Anyways I exited cmd and rebooted my laptop only to be welcomed with please load an OS screen

:)

Crimson7W10, May 16, 2022
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, May 16, 2022
  3. Drive letter on OEM Partition

This is one of the known issues with the update as Recovery partition should be hidden and is accidentally assigned a drive letter.

Right-click Start>Command Prompt(admin)

Type in the following:

diskpart

list volume

select volume 3

Replace 3 with the number of the volume which is assigned a drive letter. (In hundreds of MBs)

remove letter="G"

Replace G with the Recovery drive letter.

Don't worry, removing a drive letter would not cause any harm to your device.

Sumit-Windows Insider MVP, May 16, 2022
  4. Laptop won't boot after accidentally removing letter associated with recovery drive

How to Remove Unpopulated Drive Letters

Hello:

First let me thank you for the reply and now I will answer your questions:

1. Are you talking about the duplicate Removable drives appearing File Explorer?

Answer: Yes

2. Will they still appear, even after restarting your computer?

Answer: Yes, I have tried this multiple times.

3. Did check them through Disk Management? Press Windows logo key + X, and select Disk Management from the list.

Answer: When spawning Disk Management the same unpopulated drive letters do appear and to clarify, these are the drive letters appearing each time I would insert a thumb drive. The drive letter associated with the thumb drive appears and remains even after
    removing the portable flash drive. When viewing the drive letters in disk management and when right clicking each drive the only options appearing are - Change Drive Letter and Path.../Properties/Help

4. What other troubleshooting steps did you tried?

Answer: Unfortunately, I know of no other steps to try. There is one exception. When I attach a ClipSport MP3 player two additional drive letters appear. One is for the onboard memory and the other for the memory card. When removing the player the drive
    letters also vanish.

I am at a loss. And I almost forgot to mention. When viewing the vacant drive letters while in Disk Management I do see the Disk # and underneath the disk Removable (letterLaptop won't boot after accidentally removing letter associated with recovery drive :) and then No Media.

Any other thoughts, or questions? Thank you very much and please reply.

Eric

Eric_Bernstein, May 16, 2022
Thema:

Laptop won't boot after accidentally removing letter associated with recovery drive

1. Laptop won't boot after accidentally removing letter associated with recovery drive - Similar Threads - Laptop won't boot

2. Laptop won't boot after accidentally removing letter associated with recovery drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't boot after accidentally removing letter associated with recovery drive: So last night my computer crashed and when I tried to reboot it the BSOD kept appearing with the Log file E:\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txtI tried to read the txt file on cmd but it would not open so I thought that the path was incorrect...
  3. Laptop won't boot after accidentally removing letter associated with recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop won't boot after accidentally removing letter associated with recovery drive: So last night my computer crashed and when I tried to reboot it the BSOD kept appearing with the Log file E:\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txtI tried to read the txt file on cmd but it would not open so I thought that the path was incorrect...
  4. accidentally renamed drive F: SYSTEM and now my laptop won't boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    accidentally renamed drive F: SYSTEM and now my laptop won't boot: hi, I have an Asus laptop with windows 10, yesterday accidentally i renamed drive F: SYSTEM to a random name and now my laptop during boot freezes at the screen "ASUS in search of incredible". Sure, i think, what i renamed is something of system but i don't know how to fix,...
  5. Windows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot: Out of no where my windows 10 PC will not boot. After the windows logo it goes to a black screen with spinning dots. It will not boot in to safe mode. I booted to recovery tried startup repair (fails), tried reset this PC (fails). I opened a command prompt. Used diskpart and...
  6. Windows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot: Out of no where my windows 10 PC will not boot. After the windows logo it goes to a black screen with spinning dots. It will not boot in to safe mode. I booted to recovery tried startup repair (fails), tried reset this PC (fails). I opened a command prompt. Used diskpart and...
  7. How to remove accidental file association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove accidental file association: So I was trying to install a program that needs to be unassigned from a default program in order to work, but when trying to install it, I accidentally assigned .jar files to always open in Adobe Acrobat. I can figure out how to change which program opens the file, but I...
  8. Drive data recovery and drive letter

Drive data recovery and drive letter: My question is that can "A change in drive letter" may affect data recovery process? Actually i made a reset on my windows 10 pc. Accidentally my all data was deleted. After the reset, i tried many data recovery softwares But a few videos and photos were detected by the...
  9. Diskpart - remove drive letter, but returns on reboot / Recovery Parti

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Diskpart - remove drive letter, but returns on reboot / Recovery Parti: Hi there, This is the first time I have posted here. Hi there everyone. Windows Version Number: Windows 10 Pro - v 1909. My laptop has been experiencing a problem. At the root of this is a damaged parition table - but I have had to do more than this - and no OS can be...
  10. USB recovery boot drive won't boot

USB recovery boot drive won't boot: I wasn't sure which forum to put this into. I created a backup image on a usb hard drive. I wanted to be able to restore it using a usb recovery thumb drive. I used the create usb recovery tool and created the recovery flash drive. When I try to boot from the flash drive I...