Windows 10: Laptop wont boot after migrating os form HDD to SSD

Discus and support Laptop wont boot after migrating os form HDD to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to upgrade to windows 10 in 2 stages . 1) Migrate Windows 7 OS and Programs from HDD to SSD 2) Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportflyer, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Laptop wont boot after migrating os form HDD to SSD

I want to upgrade to windows 10 in 2 stages . 1) Migrate Windows 7 OS and Programs from HDD to SSD
    2) Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

After migrating the OS ( Windows 7 ) and Programs from HDD to SSD using Minitool Partition wizard , the computer wont boot after I replaced the HDD. I get a start up screen with "J_ " I checked the boot order and it does boot from internal HDD first . There is no SSD designation in the Bios

BTW I see a small unallocated space in the SSD before the system partition and C drive can this be the problem ?

How to check whether the Bios even recognises the SSD?
    Do I have to rename the SSD drive to C ?
    Computer is booting fine after I reinstalled the HDD.

Laptop wont boot after migrating os form HDD to SSD [​IMG]

Disc 1 is the HDD and disk 2 is the SSD

Please advise . Tks

:)

sportflyer, Oct 5, 2018
  2. nikant Win User

new laptop: Is it possible to migrate OS from SSD to HDD (yes to HDD)

Hi,
    I recently bought an MSI GL62 6QF laptop and unfortunately although it is an excellent laptop it has some limitation that might urge me to return it

system:
    128 GB SSD in M.2 PCI-e (Windows pre-installed here)
    1 TB HDD

If you could help me I would like to know the following:
    - since I have to use Full Disk Encryption (TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt which require MBR) for my needs is there any way to migrate the OS to the hdd and not use the SSD at all?
    - what I want do in order to use the laptop is to
    1. use MBR and not GPT for the hdd
    2. migrate Win10 to hdd
    If the migration makes an exact copy maybe I'll have to

1. do the migrate first
    2. convert GPT to MBR in hdd second

I understand this may be an unusual request for help but I really like the build quality of this laptop and would like to keep it instead of returning it.

What I am thinking so far is:

- set BIOS to legacy boot and turn safe boot off.
    - Use Minitool Partition Wizard to convert hdd to MBR from GPT
    - Use Minitool Partition Wizard with the Migrate OS option from SSD to HDD

Unfortunately hdd has some hidden partition BIOS_RVY which I guess will be lost

Is there any reason that the BIOS might not see the HDD as a boot device? (right now it is not listed, I thought that it is because it has no OS but that seems strange..)

Any other ideas? (or other tool to do all this..)

nikant, Oct 5, 2018
  3. Migration from Hdd to m2.SSD

Recently I have purchased a new laptop (hp probook 450 G4) and a new original windows 10 home edition and now I want to upgrade my 1 TB Hdd to a new m2 ssd and my laptop supports another slot for the m2 ssd so I can run both
    the m2 ssd & hdd at the same time but I will make the m2 ssd the boot drive and the hdd will be the data drive.
    MY Question is how can I migrate system drive to the new m2 ssd without the need to reinstall windows or any other installed programs and there is another thing, when I checked the disk management I found 3 recovery partitions will I have to
    migrate them too or I have to migrate the system drive only

MostafaEl-Desoky, Oct 5, 2018
  4. Laptop wont boot after migrating os form HDD to SSD

OS migration to ssd

I want to migrate my OS to my new ssd, but with the softwares I've downloaded can only move the whole C: drive, but my ssd only has 223gb of storage and I've got in my HDD 500gb of stored stuff. To solve this I made a partition to move all the files that
    weren't files of the OS. When I tried to do this I couldn't move such files. Is there a way to move all my files from the C: drive to the partition or to manually move my OS to the ssd?

marcocatella, Oct 5, 2018
Thema:

Laptop wont boot after migrating os form HDD to SSD

1. Laptop wont boot after migrating os form HDD to SSD - Similar Threads - Laptop wont boot

2. Migrating OS from 2tb HDD to 256 GB SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating OS from 2tb HDD to 256 GB SSD: Hi, I am trying to upgrade my sons system to an SSD from a HDD. I need to Migrate from 2TB HDD almost full to 256GB SSD while keeping settings and installed apps I can relocate the paths of most of his installed data, steams games, to the old drive once the new drive has the...
  3. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD: Hi,If I just migrate my Windows 10 from HDD to SSD but since my HDD has two other drives-D & E, besides C; so after that, if I change the boot option to SSD from HDD as shown above, will the data on drives D & E of my HDD will be formatted as well since I'm just migrating my...
  4. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD: Hi,If I just migrate my Windows 10 from HDD to SSD but since my HDD has two other drives-D & E, besides C; so after that, if I change the boot option to SSD from HDD as shown above, will the data on drives D & E of my HDD will be formatted as well since I'm just migrating my...
  5. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Windows 10 PRO OS migration from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 PRO OS migration from HDD to SSD: Hi, I have dell inspiron 3542 with Windows 10 Pro genuine version in HDD, and it's digitally activated while upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Pro, I backed up my product ID in Microsoft account, But yesterday I had inserted 2nd SSD caddy in DVD slot, I tried to migrate OS...
  7. Migrating OS to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating OS to SSD: To keep it short: Migrating OS from HDD to SSD. Problem is the EFI boot partition (16 Mb) and another unnamed partition are on the SSD. Somehow, the main Windows files are on the C: drive (HDD) and the boot is on the SSD. Aside from that, nothing else on the solid drive....
  8. Audio stutter after HDD to SSD migration

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio stutter after HDD to SSD migration: I recently changed my system over from a standard HDD to an SSD drive. I used a 3rd party tool to clone my old HDD to the SSD then removed the old HDD. After this, while everything else seems to be running smoothly, my audio is not. Any program/video/etc that I run, the audio...
  9. Migrate OS to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrate OS to SSD: I cannot figure out how to move windows 10 os to new SSD. The C drive is not partitioned so the 1.8 TB drive is trying to migrate to the 500gb SSD, which it will not allow me to do. Is there a way to seperate just the OS from the C drive ?...
  10. new laptop: Is it possible to migrate OS from SSD to HDD (yes to HDD)

in Windows 10 Support
    new laptop: Is it possible to migrate OS from SSD to HDD (yes to HDD): Hi, I recently bought an MSI GL62 6QF laptop and unfortunately although it is an excellent laptop it has some limitation that might urge me to return it system: 128 GB SSD in M.2 PCI-e (Windows pre-installed here) 1 TB HDD If you could help me I would like to know...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. toshiba laptop will only boot ssd if i have second hdd installed

2. windows stop code after migrating operating system onto M.2 samsung sdd