Windows 10: Laptop won't boot, repair, recover - typical options already tried

Discus and support Laptop won't boot, repair, recover - typical options already tried in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Microsoft Support Community, I have a dell alienware r3 15 which is stuck in recovery mode after failing to install NVidia CUDA Toolkit 10.0. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HakimGuessous, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Laptop won't boot, repair, recover - typical options already tried

Hi Microsoft Support Community,

I have a dell alienware r3 15 which is stuck in recovery mode after failing to install NVidia CUDA Toolkit 10.0. When the installation completed it prompted my computer to restart and never woke up.

I have tried all recovery options available without any luck:

• No system restore points available
    • Reset this PC (keep my files/don't keep files) just says there was a problem and no changes were made
    • Cannot boot into safe mode
    • Cannot go back into a previous version of windows
    • Startup repair couldn't repair my PC
    • I've tried to use a windows iso on USB but it cannot recognize the stick (note I did select a legacy boot)

From the bootrec commands:

• fixmbr scans all my files and reports no problem
    • rebuildbcd reports a windows instance on the d drive but when selected it says it cannot be found

Also note that in the past I upgraded laptop with an SSD by cloning my HDD. I still have my HDD and tried to remove the SSD to see if windows was still on the old drive but it did not help.

Right now I'm almost out of options the only thing I can think of is trying to run the SSD on another laptop to get my files and maybe reinstall windows.

Please can you help me!

Hakim

:)

HakimGuessous, Jan 9, 2019
  2. Josef Bri Win User

Re: All boot options are tried...

Hi Elda,

If the boot sequence didn't work, then we suggest try running the laptop in safe mode. To do this, here's a few steps to follow:

• Power down your laptop.
    • Turn it back on again.
    • When you turn it back on, press F8 repeatedly until the power on option appeared.
    • If you see the boot option "Safe Mode with Networking", choose that option.
    • See if you can boot up in Safe mode.

We'll look forward to your response.

Josef Bri, Jan 9, 2019
  3. Windows 10 won´t boot into automatic repair neither safe mode or any of the other options

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to create an installation media for Windows 10 and perform Automatic Repair.

Download Windows 10

Follow the below steps:

• After you boot your computer using
      Windows 10 CD/ DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.

• Select the correct time and Keyboard type.

• Click on Repair your computer
      in the lower left corner.

• Select Troubleshoot
      from Choose an option screen.

• Click on Advanced options
      in Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Automatic Repair
      from Advanced Options screen.

• Next, choose the operating system by clicking on its button.

• Windows 10 will look for problems on hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Jan 9, 2019
  4. Steve C Win User

Laptop won't boot, repair, recover - typical options already tried

Windows 10 Advanced Options Menu to Repair

I would try the following steps in order:

1. Remove the laptop main battery for a few minutes - may reset something
    2. Load BIOS defaults
    3. Install Macrium Reflect Free on another PC, create a Reflect USB repair disk then use that disk to repair your laptop
    4. Recover from backup if you have one
    5. Perform a Windows 10 repair install - see instructions on this forum

Steve C, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

Laptop won't boot, repair, recover - typical options already tried

1. Laptop won't boot, repair, recover - typical options already tried - Similar Threads - Laptop won't boot

2. Windows won't boot and repair options aren't working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't boot and repair options aren't working: I built a new PC over the holiday and it's been working great, but this morning I got sent to the recovery screen and I can't seem to fix it. I had payday 2 freeze on me last night and I pressed the power button to reboot, the game sometimes does this weird freeze where...
  3. Windows won't boot and repair options aren't working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't boot and repair options aren't working: I built a new PC over the holiday and it's been working great, but this morning I got sent to the recovery screen and I can't seem to fix it. I had payday 2 freeze on me last night and I pressed the power button to reboot, the game sometimes does this weird freeze where...
  4. Laptop won't boot - Advanced Options failing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't boot - Advanced Options failing: My Acer laptop won't boot. I have installed the ISO on a USB, but the computer restarts when I attempt troubleshooting in the Advanced Options. Any ideas where I go from here?...
  5. Laptop won't boot - Advanced Options failing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop won't boot - Advanced Options failing: My Acer laptop won't boot. I have installed the ISO on a USB, but the computer restarts when I attempt troubleshooting in the Advanced Options. Any ideas where I go from here?...
  6. Laptop won't boot - Advanced Options failing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. DPC_WATCHDOG_ERROR Tried Typical Solutions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC_WATCHDOG_ERROR Tried Typical Solutions: Hi Microsoft Community, Rookie Computer builder here, and I have been having some issues with a DPC_WATCHDOG_ERROR since I have built my computer. I have tried these solutions to try and resolve the issue already:...
  8. Laptop boot/repair options not working

Laptop boot/repair options not working: My laptop has died today and I was wondering if anyone knew a technical fix that could help. I only bought it a few months ago, but this morning the keyboard stopped working. I updated the laptop and restarted it which worked fine. A few hours later the screen froze, then...
  9. Win10 won't boot, won't repair BSOD trying to boot safe mode

Win10 won't boot, won't repair BSOD trying to boot safe mode: I recently upgraded from 7 to 10, I have version 2004. It has 3 SSDs. It's been working fine for a couple of weeks, but last night it crashed 3 times and after the 3rd time, it won't boot up anymore. I ran chkdsk, I've attached results below. I used Hiren's BootCD and saved...
  10. Win10 won't boot, won't repair BSOD trying to boot safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 won't boot, won't repair BSOD trying to boot safe mode: I recently upgraded from 7 to 10, I have version 2004. It has 3 SSDs. It's bee working fine for a couple of weeks, but last night it crashed 3 times and after the 3rd time, it won't boot up anymore. I ran chkdsk, I've attached results below. I used Hiren's BootCD and saved...