Windows 10: Laptop won’t boot up off of new cloned SSD

Discus and support Laptop won’t boot up off of new cloned SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a dell inspiron 15 5570 laptop. I decided to replace the RAM and the HDD. I bought a crucial 1TB MX500 2.5 SSD to use. I cloned over everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by conorgrady15, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Laptop won’t boot up off of new cloned SSD

I have a dell inspiron 15 5570 laptop. I decided to replace the RAM and the HDD. I bought a crucial 1TB MX500 2.5 SSD to use. I cloned over everything fine and thats all good. My laptop is recognising the drive when it is plugged in through a USB. However when I take out the old HDD and replace it with the new SSD, I start up my laptop and it says no bootable devices found. I have looked Through so many videos and things trying to help but nothing is working. It cost a lot of money and I dont want to break something. Anyone know how to help? Thank you

:)

conorgrady15, Jun 9, 2020

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jun 9, 2020
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

When you say 'recovered the image to the new SSD'. Did you clone from the HDD to new SSD, and why the round about method ?

I've never cloned to an external drive, with the exception of when the machine has an external hot swap SATA port, but I

have cloned from SSD to HDD and back again using a SATA connection without any issues.

The boot sector should get written to the new drive by the cloning software (I use AOEMI ). The software also sorts out

alignment differences between HDD and SSD.

If there is a problem booting with the new drive, if you swap the SATA ports so the new drive is connected to the port the

old was connected to and vice-versa, the boot sector should get written to the new drive when you reboot.

BossDweeb, Jun 9, 2020
  4. Protik Win User

Laptop won’t boot up off of new cloned SSD

Issues booting from cloned ssd

I use a L440 Thinkpad with windows 10. Recently I decided to upgrade my laptop which have a regular HDD. So bought a 480GB Sandisk SSD, mounted that to a caddy. Then replaced my optical drive with that caddy. When I turned on my laptop the SSD showed up
    in "disk management". Formatted it with GPT by following the instructions available online. Then cloned the disk using EaseUS Todo backup. Everything is cloned successfully. But unfortunately I cannot boot from the SSD. Even the SSD doesn't show up in the
    boot order.

Following various internet forums tried disabling "Secure boot" and choosing "Legacy only" from BIOS. But nothing works. It is to be noted that both my HDD and SSD are connected. As per instructions I shutdown right after cloning the disk into SSD, but nothing.
    Any help regarding how can I boot from SSD?

Protik, Jun 9, 2020
Thema:

Laptop won’t boot up off of new cloned SSD

1. Laptop won’t boot up off of new cloned SSD - Similar Threads - Laptop won’t boot

2. Laptop Won’t Boot Up?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop Won’t Boot Up?: Hi, I’ve tried several times to reboot my laptop but it doesn’t want to start windows and keeps showing a maintenance window option, only to repeat itself. What’s wrong with it?...
  3. Laptop Won’t Boot Up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Won’t Boot Up?: Hi, I’ve tried several times to reboot my laptop but it doesn’t want to start windows and keeps showing a maintenance window option, only to repeat itself. What’s wrong with it?...
  4. Laptop Won’t Boot Up?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SSD won’t boot up at all. SSD won’t work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD won’t boot up at all. SSD won’t work.: I just bought a new SSD 1 T , sata 6 gb/s. 860 evo samsung ssd. I plugged it in to the correct connectors and turned on my PC. And my screen wont show anytging at all. Its a no signal screen. So i tried plugging in my old Hard drive in, and it turns on just like normal. I...
  6. Booting up off of an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booting up off of an SSD: I got a new SSD and installed windows onto it. I haven’t been able to set it to the boot drive and not my system off the SSD so my system still currently boots up off of a hard drive. I’ve gone into the BIOS and changed the SSD to the boot option 1, but whenever I set it as...
  7. Cannot Boot off of Cloned SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cannot Boot off of Cloned SSD: I recently got a new ssd to use alongside an hdd in my pc. I tried to clone my hdd to my ssd using three different software: EaseUS Partition Master (Did not work since every action seemed to be behind a paywall?), Macrium Reflect (Did not work as I received an error about...
  8. New M2.SSD Clone SSD won't boot Help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New M2.SSD Clone SSD won't boot Help: Hi all, I have bought a new M2.SSD. I have used Macrium reflect softwer to clone my SSD to My new M2.SSD,I have cloned all the partitions but unfortunately My PC won't boot up I Have change it on The Bios and selected as first drive to boot from but still won't boot As...
  9. Cloned drive won’t boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloned drive won’t boot: I copied my upgraded OS from a suspected failing 13yr-old Seagate 160GB (keeps crashing) onto a WDC 500GB using MiniTool Partition Wizard – How to migrate OS to SSD/HD, but the cloned drive won’t boot, it just shows a DOS screen with the letter j followed by a blinking...
  10. Cloned drive won’t boot up

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned drive won’t boot up: I am very new at this. I have a HP ProBook 4540. A diagnostic test said the hard drive was failing. I cloned the old hard drive to an identical new one using EaseUS. Everything seemed fine. I then installed the new drive into the laptop and this message comes up: BootDevice...