Windows 10: Laptop won't carry out functions until lid closed and reopened

Discus and support Laptop won't carry out functions until lid closed and reopened in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi guys, I am really stumped by this weird problem. I have a windows ten based laptop. Since getting a desktop a while back, the only really... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Liam Fitzpatrick, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Laptop won't carry out functions until lid closed and reopened

Hi guys,

I am really stumped by this weird problem.

I have a windows ten based laptop. Since getting a desktop a while back, the only really functions I use it for are to use DJ software, run some music programs in a more portable manner and take me away from my study and maybe watch a film on the sofa. The laptop has been plagued by high disc usage since I got it, and I've given up on ever fixing it Despite following many guides, 100% disc usage is just a constant, although after a while my disc usage will drop to 1% with odd spikes.

However lately a new problem has emerged, which has absolutely stumped me. When downloading some new audio plug ins via an automatic installer Native Access, every installation seemed to just hang and never actually get anywhere. Out of frustration, and several repeated attempts, I closed my laptop lid to do something else. When I reopened it, the installations finished. When I tried installing more items, the same issue arose and it was resolved the same way.

Today, when going to load Ableton, the initial load also froze. I tried closing the lid, and ta da it worked. When trying to open a plug called guitar rig, the plug in refused to open. Close lid, reopen and its instantly open.

Its now gotten to the point where most programs will not open, until I have tried this method. This is despite clearly seeing the process pop up in the task manager.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue may be - closing and opening my lid really isn't a sustainable solution, both for my sanity or the longevity of this laptop. I feel like consistently seeing high disc usage for system volume information appear and hanging processes might be linked, but I don't know why

:)

Liam Fitzpatrick, Jun 8, 2020

2. Is it safe to just close laptop lid before carrying it? (Windows 10)

You can set the action that happens when you close the lid. Setting it to hibernation will hibernate your pc the same way as if you would do it manually. I don't see any reason why not to do it.

Sleep: there is also a setting "hibernate after", it will wake up the pc even from sleep and hibernate it. Again it doesn't depend on whether you sent your pc manually or by closing the lid.

Some laptop's has functionality to detect when they're moved and stop HDD (hp calls it "driver guard"). So for those laptop normal carrying shouldn't cause any problem (worst case could happen is that the battery drains totally if you constantly shake it and it can't hibernate).

If you have anything other set to wake up laptop (wireless mouse, installation...) those will of course wake it up from sleep.

I've also a Windows 7 laptop, I set "hibernate after" to 2 hours, I carry it sleeping during the day and I hibernate it for the night.

Máté Juhász, Jun 8, 2020
  3. KomouPoji Win User
    "Only show 2" defaults to "Duplicate these displays" upon closing and reopening laptop lid

Hi,

I would suggest to try the following steps and check if it helps

• Press the Win Key + X to display the
      system menu.

• Select Control Panel.

• Select Power Options.

• On theleft side menu, select the Choose what closing the lid does option.

• Look in the Power and sleep buttons and lid settings section.

• Use the drop down menus in the
      When I close the lid section and select Do Nothing for both options.

I hope the information is helpful and if the error still persists, we’ll be glad to assists you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Jun 8, 2020
  4. Ruz San Win User

Laptop won't carry out functions until lid closed and reopened

Laptop restarts after closing the lid

Hi,

It appears that your laptop hibernates when you close its lid. This feature terminates running processes on your machine since it allows the system to use very little power. If
    Do nothing is already selected for Choose what closing the lid does
    in Power Options, let's try to make hibernation unavailable. Follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type powercfg.exe /hibernate off then press Enter.
    See if this will prevent the laptop from hibernating when you close the lid.

Let us know how it turns out.

Ruz San, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

Laptop won't carry out functions until lid closed and reopened

1. Laptop won't carry out functions until lid closed and reopened - Similar Threads - Laptop won't carry

2. Laptop won't go to sleep after closing the lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop won't go to sleep after closing the lid: I've recently got the motherboard of my laptop changed, and after that my laptop won't go to sleep after I close the lid. I've checked "choose what closing the lid does" option and everything is fine there. Maybe the guy who repaired the laptop messed up something in BIOS...
  3. Close lid functions malfunction

Close lid functions malfunction: I have a HP 2018 Elitebook 840 G1 14 inch and I've tired multiple times to set up the close lid function so i can close the lid and still have my windows open on another screen. But no matter what i do or change it still goes straight to shut down after i close it. How can...
  4. turning on laptop with lid closed

turning on laptop with lid closed: I have an HP Spectre and use to two 4k monitors. How can I turn the laptop on without opening the lid? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turning-on-laptop-with-lid-closed/f5b9171f-8310-4a33-93b0-2f1403b1d2fa
  5. Laptop Opening lid function

Laptop Opening lid function: Hi every1 I would like to know whether there is an option by which I can switch on the laptop by just opening the lid without having to press the power button. Thank you...
  6. Close Lid Laptop Hibernates

Close Lid Laptop Hibernates: Hi! I have followed the Advanced Power Settings threads and chose "Do Nothing" when I close the lid. That's not working! When I close the lid, the laptop hibernates and all the monitors go to sleep - it says no power connection! Please help!...
  7. VNC with laptop lid closed

in Windows 10 Customization
    VNC with laptop lid closed: I use a VNC service to remotely manage hundreds laptops that are stored in a HP laptop cart so they will charge and be connected to ethernet. They are used in a classroom environment and perform required support functions between classes and at night. We recently upgraded...
  8. laptop with lid closed won't change sleep settings

laptop with lid closed won't change sleep settings: Hello all, We use Dell laptops at my office. Power & Sleep settings under 'Sleep' are battery - sleep in 20 minutes, plugged in - sleep Never. Most of our users have the laptops in a docking station (Dell Latitude E-series dock) or use a USB-C/Thunderbolt dock (Dell WD19TB)...
  9. WHENEVER I CLOSE THE LID AND REOPEN IT THE DISPLAY DOESN'T COMEBACK ON

WHENEVER I CLOSE THE LID AND REOPEN IT THE DISPLAY DOESN'T COMEBACK ON: I set the "close the lid" option to "do nothing" and whenever i close the lid even for few seconds and reopen it .. i can see the backlight in my screen .. but it doesn't display a thing unless I restart my computer. I just bought my computer Asus: Ryzen 5 3550h AMD...
  10. Closing my laptop lid

in Windows 10 Support
    Closing my laptop lid: Hello, I'm new to windows 10, just had it installed last week and so far, I like it. A problem I'm running into is when I close the lid on my laptop and then open it again after a while, it shuts down and goes to the hp screen. What I would like is, when I close the lid and...