Windows 10: Laptop won't detect built-in mic on headsets/earbuds

Discus and support Laptop won't detect built-in mic on headsets/earbuds in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 home on a Lenovo Ideapad laptop, and it doesn't detect the mic on any of my headsets/earbuds. I can hear playback fine on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Windbrand, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Windbrand Win User

Laptop won't detect built-in mic on headsets/earbuds

I'm running Windows 10 home on a Lenovo Ideapad laptop, and it doesn't detect the mic on any of my headsets/earbuds. I can hear playback fine on my headsets/earbuds, but it can't speak through them, since it insists on using the laptop's internal mic. This results in my typing/mouse clicks all being captured on audio.

• In sound properties recording tab, I just see "microphone (Realtek high def audio)" and "stereo mix (Realtek high def audio)"
    • In sound properties playback tab, I just see "speakers (Realtek high def audio)", yet I hear audio fine on my headsets/earbuds?
    • In device manager, it doesn't detect a headset either, displays the same list as the recording tab
    So do all 3 of my headsets/earbuds have some kind of "plug and play but stays invisible to the OS" feature? One of them is the default Apple earbuds, I'm 100% sure there's a mic on there and these are brand new, so they aren't broken. Are these not supposed to appear as a "headset" device with the headset icon in sound properties?

:)

Windbrand, Aug 21, 2018

2. Headphones Built In Mic Isnt Working

The built in mic on my earbuds aren't working. I used to get a box when I plug in my earbuds that asked me if I wanted to use the earbuds or the earbuds with the mic and now I don't even get
    that box anymore. And when I try to use my mic it uses the default PC mic which is terrible quality and id rather use the built in mic.
    Please help!

DamianDC03, Aug 21, 2018
  3. Headset Mics not detected

Whenever I plug in a headset a prompt comes up asking what type of device I have plugged in, I have tried headset and mic. I have tried multiple headsets. I plug them all into the audio jack and the sound comes through but whenever I try to record with
    the attached mic the laptops internal mic records instead of the one on the attached headset. I have also gone into the settings to try and change which mic pics up the audio, yet when I get to it the only option is the computers internal mic. Why is there
    no option for the mic on the headset I have plugged in?

Zachchaney0, Aug 21, 2018
  4. Laptop won't detect built-in mic on headsets/earbuds

My laptop cant detect mic from both of my headsets

Hello guys. A week ago my laptop randomly stopped being able to identify the microhpones in my headsets and switched over to the internal mic as default. Its weird because that the sound plays just fine, but its the mic that cant be detected. When i plug
    my headset in while looking at recording devices there is no difference at all.

Ahmed Bassam, Aug 21, 2018
Thema:

Laptop won't detect built-in mic on headsets/earbuds

1. Laptop won't detect built-in mic on headsets/earbuds - Similar Threads - Laptop won't detect

2. Why won't my laptop detect my headset mic?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't my laptop detect my headset mic?: I've tried EVERYTHING and it just won't detect it even though it detects it on other devices. It detects the output and when i plug it in it asks "Which device did you plug in?" and lets me choose between "headphone" or "speaker out" but no "microphone" option. Along with...
  3. Why won't my laptop detect my headset mic?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't my laptop detect my headset mic?: I've tried EVERYTHING and it just won't detect it even though it detects it on other devices. It detects the output and when i plug it in it asks "Which device did you plug in?" and lets me choose between "headphone" or "speaker out" but no "microphone" option. Along with...
  4. Laptop using built-in mic instead of headset mic

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop using built-in mic instead of headset mic: Why hello!I've recently received a headset with a 3.5mm 4 pin TRRS headphone jack. The output works fine, as in I can hear audio when wearing them, however my laptop is still using its own in-built mic instead of the headset mic. As an aside, I've tested using the headset...
  5. Laptop using built-in mic instead of headset mic

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop using built-in mic instead of headset mic: Why hello!I've recently received a headset with a 3.5mm 4 pin TRRS headphone jack. The output works fine, as in I can hear audio when wearing them, however my laptop is still using its own in-built mic instead of the headset mic. As an aside, I've tested using the headset...
  6. Laptop not detecting headset mic

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop not detecting headset mic: I recently picked up a Razer Kraken X for my Acer Nitro 5 Laptop. I plug the headset into my laptop and audio works fine, but the mic isn’t being detected at all and still uses the built in mic of the laptop - being the default realtek computer mic I don’t know how to make it...
  7. Laptop using built in mic instead of headset mic

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop using built in mic instead of headset mic: Hi, so I've had this problem for a while now and having trouble finding a solution. When I go into my sound settings, I don't even see my headset there, only the built in mic. Any suggestions would be appreciated. submitted by /u/theinevitable420 [link] [comments]...
  8. Headset mic not detecting on my laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headset mic not detecting on my laptop: Ok so i just bought a hyperx cloud stinger recently and for some reason its not detecting my mic? I've tried going to sound manager and changing my mic, but it only detects my laptop mic for some reason. Im on windows 10. 171926
  9. Using the Built-In Mic Instead of Earbud Mic

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using the Built-In Mic Instead of Earbud Mic: Hi all, I've had this problem for a while now where no matter what kind of earbuds I'm wearing, the default recording device is always the built-in microphone on my laptop. I've opened up recording settings and I don't see a specific device listed as the in-line mic built...
  10. Laptop won't detect built-in mic on headsets/earbuds

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop won't detect built-in mic on headsets/earbuds: I'm running Windows 10 home on a Lenovo Ideapad laptop, and it doesn't detect the mic on any of my headsets/earbuds. I can hear playback fine on my headsets/earbuds, but it can't speak through them, since it insists on using the laptop's internal mic. This results in my...