Windows 10: Laptop won't go into sleep and needs hard reboot after latest update

Discus and support Laptop won't go into sleep and needs hard reboot after latest update in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My laptop doesn't go into sleep mode like usual. The power button stays lit and I could hear the hard disk busy. This had started happening after the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by YogeshKo, May 4, 2021.

1. YogeshKo Win User

Laptop won't go into sleep and needs hard reboot after latest update

My laptop doesn't go into sleep mode like usual. The power button stays lit and I could hear the hard disk busy. This had started happening after the last update around April 18. I had to hard boot every time and restart. I tried uninstalling the updates, but sill no change. I read somewhere that it could be because of bad sector on the hard disk. It was a SATA hard disk that came with the laptop when I bought it in 2018. Although disk scan did not find any errors, I reinstalled Windows on a new SSD drive, so now I have a brand new install and this was also seemed okay after the install, but o

:)

YogeshKo, May 4, 2021

2. Laptop won' t shutdown (or restart) and sleep [takes forever]

The situation:

• When shutting down, the laptop proceeds as normal until the screen turns off.
    • After the screen turns off, it takes a while for the battery LED to go off.
    • After that the power led remains on and it looks like the laptop is stuck in this state forever.
    • When I try to get my laptop to sleep, something similar happens; the power led remains on, the battery led turns off and the laptop appears to be stuck in this state.
    My laptop is: Asus FX553VD.

What I've tried:

• I have tried to troubleshoot power management and power options.
    • Tried clean boot.
    • Updated the BIOS.
    • Reinstalled windows and tried shutdown and sleep (without installing the drivers and stuff), however that didn't work either.

Additional Info:

• I have multiple operating systems installed in my laptop, however this problem persists on windows only (the OSes are installed on different drives).
    • The disk usage is abnormally high.
    • There are spikes in CPU usage that kick up the fan really fast while idle.

Please suggest other ideas as to what I should do?

[It appears that the only option I have left is to reinstall everything]

10gic-80m8, May 4, 2021
  3. my computer won`t wake up after goes to sleep

these computer won`t wake up after goes to sleep ?

oscarperezvc, May 4, 2021
  4. Laptop won't go into sleep and needs hard reboot after latest update

Laptop won`t sleep

There can be several causes but to start with, you can try following. Please try these options one by one and check after each option.

1. Troubleshoot Power

Type troubleshoot in Cortana Search > Click Troubleshoot > Scroll down > Click Power > Run the troubleshooter > Follow on-screen direction.

2. Restore Default for Power Settings

Windows Key+I > System > Power & sleep > Click Additional power settings to open Power options > Click Change Plan Settings > Click Restore default settings for this plan

3. Disable Fast Startup

Reach to Power options as in previous step > Click Choose what the power buttons do > Click Change settings that are currently unavailable > Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup > Click Save changes

4. Uninstall / Install Battery Driver (Only for laptops)

Shut down your computer > Detach power chord > Remove battery (if fixed no need to remove) > Attach power chord > Reboot your computer

Windows Key+X > Device Manager > Expand Batteries > Right-click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System > Uninstall > Shutdown the computer > Remove the power chord > Attach your battery > Attach your power chord > Reboot the computer to automatically install the driver

There are three other actions which you can undertake

1. Restore from a system restore point to a point when things were working fine

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/...

2. If the issue has been caused due to recent Windows update - I would suggest that you uninstall the latest KB update and hide it so that it doesn't install it automatically and wait for new update to come which will be installed automatically.

To know which update got installed

Windows Key+i to invoke Settings > Update & Security > Click View installed update history. These KBs should be from the below list. Don't uninstall any other KB

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4099479

Make note of KB and uninstall and block it.

Uninstall

Windows Key + R > Type: appwiz.cpl > Enter > Click View installed updates > Select the required updates, right click, uninstall.

Block

Microsoft has provided a tool Show/Hide Updates tool to block the update

Download the tool from below link

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f2...

When you run this troubleshooter, it will search for available updates and list them

Select the update which you want to hide. Click Next and follow on-screen directions

3. Perform a Windows 10 repair upgrade. Repair upgrade fixes all Windows errors and retains all files, applications and settings. (You will not lose any data while backup is a good idea) Below is a good guide to perform repair upgrade

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repai...

Do let me know if you have any more question or require further help. If above didn't work, I will supply more troubleshooting steps to solve this problem.

Disclaimer - This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product
    advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Vijay_Verma, May 4, 2021
Thema:

Laptop won't go into sleep and needs hard reboot after latest update

1. Laptop won't go into sleep and needs hard reboot after latest update - Similar Threads - Laptop won't sleep

2. Shut Down/Reboot After Going to Sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shut Down/Reboot After Going to Sleep: Hi,When my computer goes to sleep it seems to reboot or restart.So when I wake it up and sign in, everything I was working on is gone. My browser has shut down, my documents, everything. My browser says that it didn't shut down properly during restart but I never restarted my...
  3. Laptop reboots on shutdown after latest driver updates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop reboots on shutdown after latest driver updates: Hello! After recent driver updates I can't shutdown my laptop, it automatically reboots after 3-4 secs. I have already tried everything from here, nothing helps. Attaching screenshot of latest driver updates: [ATTACH] I can't rollback this updates because I can't find what...
  4. Won't go to sleep?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Won't go to sleep?: Recently I've been noticing my PC won't sleep after 1 hour while I am afk? I have the settings on for 1 hour inactive to then go asleep till I return but It's been going off and on like this for a bit now. I was away for 2 hours, and see my PC still on? Is it just windows...
  5. Laptop won't go to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop won't go to sleep: Whenever I close the lid or manually tell my laptop to go to sleep the screen turns off but the computer is still running. The only way to turn it off is to hard press the power button and force it to shut down. If I start my pc in safe mode the same problem appears. Here...
  6. Laptop won't go to sleep after closing the lid

Laptop won't go to sleep after closing the lid: I've recently got the motherboard of my laptop changed, and after that my laptop won't go to sleep after I close the lid. I've checked "choose what closing the lid does" option and everything is fine there. Maybe the guy who repaired the laptop messed up something in BIOS...
  7. after automatic sleep timer end laptop won't go to sleep

after automatic sleep timer end laptop won't go to sleep: i try a lot of thing, but none of them works for me... after my laptop screen go off system won't ever go to sleep, I can "temporary" fix it with "msconfig" and disableing ALL the servicies even the microsoft one and reboot, any advice? may english may be far from perfect,...
  8. Help with .dmp file. Windows crashes after going to sleep and needs to be hard rebooted.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Help with .dmp file. Windows crashes after going to sleep and needs to be hard rebooted.: ******************************************************************************** ** Bugcheck Analysis **...
  9. Laptop shuts down completely instead of going into sleep mode after latest update

Laptop shuts down completely instead of going into sleep mode after latest update: I installed the latest Windows 10 update two days ago. Ever since then, every time I set my computer to sleep, it shuts down completely. This has happened once before about six months ago. The support staff restored my computer to the pre-update version. Would someone be able...
  10. PC Won't go to sleep - latest windows 10 build

in Windows 10 Support
    PC Won't go to sleep - latest windows 10 build: Over the last few weeks, I have noticed my PC not entering sleep mode. I have not done a tonne of updates on anything so I haven't been able to pin point a specific piece of software that could be messing it up. I've run Code: Powercfg /requests[/quote] which comes up with...