Windows 10: Laptop won't go to sleep because of "Unknown" System process

Discus and support Laptop won't go to sleep because of "Unknown" System process in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My DELL XPS 9500 works fine now when awake but as soon as I close the lid or press the power button where it should go to sleep, it starts to heat up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SamuelGfeller, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Laptop won't go to sleep because of "Unknown" System process

My DELL XPS 9500 works fine now when awake but as soon as I close the lid or press the power button where it should go to sleep, it starts to heat up and the fans go wild.

Observations

• This issue only occurs when the computer should sleep
    • The heating and fans and thus activity I believe stop after I unplug the notebook from a power source. So the issue only happens if the computer is charging.
    • When opening the task manager very quickly after turning the screen back on, I can see the process "System" using between 10% and 20% of CPU but only for a few seconds, then it goes back to normal again and the computer cools down.
    • I ran powercfg -energy and the energy-report.html shows 1 Error "CPU UtilisationLaptop won't go to sleep because of "Unknown" System process :processor utilisation is high" and under Warnings usually the CPU Utilisation is shown but now its "CPU Utilisation:Analysis Error" image
    • [COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]I recorded system activity with "Windows Performance Recorder" while the computer should be in sleep mode and Process under "System" that is using most CPU is "Unknown" see in the following image:
      Laptop won't go to sleep because of "Unknown" System process 918e0560-4c74-4460-a26c-22572e8d5a39?upload=true.png [/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1][COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]
    What I already tried[/COLOR][/COLOR]

• sfc /scannow resulted with "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."
    • powercfg /requests shows nothing but sometimes I get EXECUTION PROCESS: USO Worker where restarting windows update service helps sometimes or PERFBOOST: [DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller Power Manager where "Powercfg -requestsoverride Driver "Legacy Kernel Caller" System" makes PERFBOOST show "NOTHIN" but issue is still unsolved.
    • Selected default "balanced" power plan and Restore default settings for this plan
    • BIOS is up to date, no windows Updates available

Note: I had a long back and forth because of high "System" process usage when notebook is in use that was caused by the Nvidia graphic card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/high-cpu-usage-by-process-called-system/0714de1f-8ee6-4b5a-928e-1f1989e12414

:)

SamuelGfeller, Apr 6, 2021

2. Laptop won' t shutdown (or restart) and sleep [takes forever]

The situation:

• When shutting down, the laptop proceeds as normal until the screen turns off.
    • After the screen turns off, it takes a while for the battery LED to go off.
    • After that the power led remains on and it looks like the laptop is stuck in this state forever.
    • When I try to get my laptop to sleep, something similar happens; the power led remains on, the battery led turns off and the laptop appears to be stuck in this state.
    My laptop is: Asus FX553VD.

What I've tried:

• I have tried to troubleshoot power management and power options.
    • Tried clean boot.
    • Updated the BIOS.
    • Reinstalled windows and tried shutdown and sleep (without installing the drivers and stuff), however that didn't work either.

Additional Info:

• I have multiple operating systems installed in my laptop, however this problem persists on windows only (the OSes are installed on different drives).
    • The disk usage is abnormally high.
    • There are spikes in CPU usage that kick up the fan really fast while idle.

Please suggest other ideas as to what I should do?

[It appears that the only option I have left is to reinstall everything]

10gic-80m8, Apr 6, 2021
  3. my computer won`t wake up after goes to sleep

these computer won`t wake up after goes to sleep ?

oscarperezvc, Apr 6, 2021
  4. JCDrives Win User

Laptop won't go to sleep because of "Unknown" System process

Laptop won`t sleep

Hi everyone,

I´ve had a problem with my laptop over the last couple of weeks. When I select sleep on the start menu, the only thing the laptop does is turn the screen off. If I move the mouse or touch a key the screen turns back on as if nothing happened (even the start
    menu is open with the mouse cursor over the sleep button). But that is not all. When the laptop does decide to go to sleep, when I turn it back on it acts as if I turned it off and back on and closes everything I had open before it going to sleep.

I`ve already tried all the fixes I could find online and none of them worked.

To note about the laptop:

Asus ROG GL-551JW

I`ve installed a new SSD (240GB Crucial SSD) last September (old one died) and a new (directly from Microsoft) windows 10 install. The problem started about a month and a half after installing the SSD.

JCDrives, Apr 6, 2021
Thema:

Laptop won't go to sleep because of "Unknown" System process

1. Laptop won't go to sleep because of "Unknown" System process - Similar Threads - Laptop won't sleep

2. Monitor won't going to sleep or randomly going to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor won't going to sleep or randomly going to sleep: Hello,same question as ; https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/displayport-monitor-never-goes-to-sleep/a992a91a-9aa8-4e4b-a65e-b906200649eaThe original answer by microsoft team is not usefull only 1 positive vote and 53 other people has the same problem so...
  3. Monitor won't going to sleep or randomly going to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor won't going to sleep or randomly going to sleep: Hello,same question as ; https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/displayport-monitor-never-goes-to-sleep/a992a91a-9aa8-4e4b-a65e-b906200649eaThe original answer by microsoft team is not usefull only 1 positive vote and 53 other people has the same problem so...
  4. Monitor won't going to sleep or randomly going to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Won't go to sleep?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Won't go to sleep?: Recently I've been noticing my PC won't sleep after 1 hour while I am afk? I have the settings on for 1 hour inactive to then go asleep till I return but It's been going off and on like this for a bit now. I was away for 2 hours, and see my PC still on? Is it just windows...
  6. Laptop won't go to sleep

Laptop won't go to sleep: Whenever I close the lid or manually tell my laptop to go to sleep the screen turns off but the computer is still running. The only way to turn it off is to hard press the power button and force it to shut down. If I start my pc in safe mode the same problem appears. Here...
  7. Laptop won't go to sleep - process stuck?

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop won't go to sleep - process stuck?: When I use "powercfg / requests" it shows that this process is running: \Device\HarddiskVolume4\System32\MoUsoCoreWorker.exe This has been going on for a few days. Laptop is on pretty much 24/7 and I have not restarted it lately. Anybody know what's going on? Should I kill it...
  8. HP laptop won't sleep or screen won't go off

HP laptop won't sleep or screen won't go off: I have an HP laptop everything was working fine then I moved the laptop outside for a few minuets now it won't sleep and the screen won't go off. I have checked the settings as per this forum, tried setting to factory specs, restarted , but nothing seems to work. What have...
  9. Laptop not overheating but going to sleep because it's "over heated".

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop not overheating but going to sleep because it's "over heated".: I'm gaming on my Dell XPS 9550 and it's not even getting past 80 C before it goes to sleep because of "overheating". Recently it has also been a lot hotter doing tasks it used to never get that hot doing. Nothing has changed so I can't think what's causing it. I can hear...
  10. Laptop won't go to sleep/hibernate; turns back on

Laptop won't go to sleep/hibernate; turns back on: So pretty much my title. This used to be a really common issue, then it stopped doing it on it's own. Last night it started back up. Now, I know with such machinery, nothing really happens "on it's own", but... I've made no changes to any settings, downloaded no...