Windows 10: Laptop won't shut down..

Discus and support Laptop won't shut down.. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Suddenly won't shut down, didn't update Windows 10 or anything. Is it dying? Did a cold shut down, so will try again.. submitted by /u/Comboxer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Comboxer, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Laptop won't shut down..

Suddenly won't shut down, didn't update Windows 10 or anything. Is it dying?

Did a cold shut down, so will try again..

submitted by /u/Comboxer
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Comboxer, Jul 18, 2020

2. Laptop won't shut down

Hi Muhammad,

Most of the time, the issue regarding a device that won't shut down properly may be caused by a system conflict after an update or that there are some incompatibility issues. To assist you with this concern, we recommend that you run the troubleshooter.
    To do this, kindly follow the steps listed below:

• Type troubleshooting in the Search bar and press
      Enter.
    • Click on View all on the left-side of the page.
    • Click on each category below then follow the on-screen prompt to run the troubleshooter:
    • Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    • Hardware and Devices
    • Power
    • Windows Update
    Note: Make sure that you restart your PC after running the troubleshooter for each category.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Eileen Gal, Jul 18, 2020
  3. Won't shut down or restart -- error X0X

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to ask what are the methods that you have tried to solve the issue.

The issue might occur if the computer is not shut down properly. so, I suggest you to perform a power drain by follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Shut down the Computer.
    • Remove all power source (including battery if it is a laptop).
    • Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds.
    • Connect the power source and start the computer.
    • After the computer boots to the desktop, suggest you to install all the pending updates.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 18, 2020
  4. Laptop won't shut down..

laptop won't shut down anymore

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

What happens when you try to shut down? Do you receive any error?

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then try to shut down.

Method 2

I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 3

If the above method doesn’t help, I suggest you to reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back to their default settings. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Method 4: Clean boot

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer
    to Normal startup mode.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

Laptop won't shut down..

1. Laptop won't shut down.. - Similar Threads - Laptop won't shut

2. Laptop won't shut down or open programs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop won't shut down or open programs: I cant seem to shut down or restart my laptop, and programs won't open when I click them. But this only after the laptop has been powered on for a few seconds. Another problem is that once I can't open programs I also can't search anything on the internet. I can't seem to...
  3. Laptop won't shut down or open programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't shut down or open programs: I cant seem to shut down or restart my laptop, and programs won't open when I click them. But this only after the laptop has been powered on for a few seconds. Another problem is that once I can't open programs I also can't search anything on the internet. I can't seem to...
  4. Laptop won't shut down or open programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Laptop won't restart or shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't restart or shut down: If I attempt to restart the laptop it shows the black screen with the dots rotating with the "restarting" text on it and nothing happens, If I try to shut down the same happens only with the "shutting down" text. I tried shutting down all programs before turning off and It...
  6. Laptop won't restart or shut down

Laptop won't restart or shut down: If I attempt to restart the laptop it shows the black screen with the dots rotating with the "restarting" text on it and nothing happens, If I try to shut down the same happens only with the "shutting down" text. I tried shutting down all programs before turning off and It...
  7. My laptop won't shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop won't shut down: From today my laptop won't shut down. Even after trying shutting down using power button my laptop power on automatically. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-wont-shut-down/69afce10-3b78-4210-a2a6-9f9a2336dd12
  8. My laptop won't shut down

My laptop won't shut down: From today my laptop won't shut down. Even after trying shutting down using power button my laptop power on automatically. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-wont-shut-down/69afce10-3b78-4210-a2a6-9f9a2336dd12
  9. Laptop won't shut down and black screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop won't shut down and black screen: Hello, My Acer Aspire One 722 will not power off and I have a black screen. I have held down the power key, unplugged from outlet, and still it will not power off. Last night I put it on "sleep" mode. I never had a problem before. Windows 10 did an install yesterday....
  10. Laptop shut down unexpectedly and won't turn back on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop shut down unexpectedly and won't turn back on: As my title says, my laptop shut down on it's own and now won't turn back on... The power button glows on but nothing shows up on the screen, and after a while the power button turns back off. My laptop has been crashing for a while.now but always before I could turn it back...