Windows 10: Laptop won't turn off or restart properly since Windows 10 upgrade

Discus and support Laptop won't turn off or restart properly since Windows 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. I'm new to this forum, but not to computers. And this is weird... I recently started trying out Windows 10. It's buggy and frustrating, but it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by die4dethklok, May 16, 2015.

1. Laptop won't turn off or restart properly since Windows 10 upgrade

Hi. I'm new to this forum, but not to computers. And this is weird...

I recently started trying out Windows 10. It's buggy and frustrating, but it's still in preview mode, so... That's expected.

Nothing was working when I installed build 10074 off disc, so I installed build 9926 off a disc (I got the iso from MSDNAA, I'm a programming student) then upgraded via settings to 10074.
    During the upgrade, my laptop started resetting, normal. But halfway through, the resets stopped working.
    The screen switches off, the cd drive switches off and the hdd activity light switches off, but the power stays on, and the fan keeps running. It also doesn't switch off on shutdown either.

I finally have a working version of Windows 10, minus Cortana and Spartan (I'm in Aus), but now my laptop won't shut down.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be drivers? Is it OS interference? Is there a way to fix it without uninstalling and re installing Win 10? I really cbf going through all that again...

Thanks in advance...

:)

die4dethklok, May 16, 2015

2. Laptop won't turn on since upgrade

Since upgrading to Windows 10, my HP Envy 17 laptop won't start-up properly. Pushing the power button results in roughly 3 seconds of start-up, screen still blank, and then it turns off. After waiting for a few seconds and pressing the power button again,
    it starts up (seemingly) as normal. As problems go, I know this isn't major, but it's really annoying. And it has only started happening since the upgrade, so I'm wondering if anything else is getting screwed up in the background.

eoinmacq87, May 16, 2015
  3. I have turned off fast startup and sleep mode

I recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 10, and now it won't shutdown properly.

I have turned off fast startup and sleep mode from power options.

Here is what happens:

• Start menu > Power > Shut down
    • It exits windows and apparently turns off (black screen)
    • The power lights are still on and my computer apparently doesn't shutdown.

Muhammad AleemHashmi, May 16, 2015
  4. Wynona Win User

Laptop won't turn off or restart properly since Windows 10 upgrade

Have you tried going to Control Panel>Power Options? Within Power Options, there are settings you can change that might correct the problem.

If it were me, I would put Windows 10 Build 10074 on a flash drive using Rufus (an 8 GB drive will do), and do a clean installation of Build 10074, rather than go through upgrading. A clean install is so much faster than an update.

USB Flash Drive; go to USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Clean install instructions; go to Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

Wynona, May 17, 2015
Thema:

Laptop won't turn off or restart properly since Windows 10 upgrade

1. Laptop won't turn off or restart properly since Windows 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Laptop won't turn

2. Laptop turns off the screen and restarts.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop turns off the screen and restarts.: I set to turn off the screen of my laptop after 5 mins, but after turning off the screen my laptop just won't turn on for a bit of time and restarts. I looked in event viewer and got this event:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000019c...
  3. Laptop turns off the screen and restarts.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop turns off the screen and restarts.: I set to turn off the screen of my laptop after 5 mins, but after turning off the screen my laptop just won't turn on for a bit of time and restarts. I looked in event viewer and got this event:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000019c...
  4. My laptop won't turn off or on.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop won't turn off or on.: My laptop HP envy model 13 said it ran into an error and needed to restart. I think it might be a stopcode but I am not too sure. When my laptop reached 100% complete, it didnt turn on or off and has stated on the same blue screen for over an hour. I've tried turning it off...
  5. My laptop won't turn off or on.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop won't turn off or on.: My laptop HP envy model 13 said it ran into an error and needed to restart. I think it might be a stopcode but I am not too sure. When my laptop reached 100% complete, it didnt turn on or off and has stated on the same blue screen for over an hour. I've tried turning it off...
  6. Laptop shut off and won't restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop shut off and won't restart: I have a 16-month old Lenovo Legion Y7000P-1060 that has been running great until a few minutes ago. I was watching a YouTube video when i heard a pop and it shut off and won't restart. I bought if from Costco so it is still under their Concierge warranty but before I go...
  7. Laptop is not restarting Properly Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop is not restarting Properly Windows 10: Hello, I am facing a very idiotic issue because whenever I restart my Laptop it screens turn off and then the laptop remains on and the screen never turns on again. My Bluetooth is also stuck It is not turning on I tried removing the drivers but it is useless since I can't...
  8. Laptop won't shutdown or restart properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop won't shutdown or restart properly: My laptop won't shutdown or restart properly, I am using a docking station and when I undock the laptop it seems to restart/shutdown properly but when I restart/shutdown with it docked, it doesn't restart/shutdown properly and always goes into a mode like sleep mode. How do...
  9. HP laptop won't turn on properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HP laptop won't turn on properly: After the last Windows 10 update earlier this week, my HP laptop wouldn't boot properly -it was on, but I got a black screen with cursor only. After switching it on/off several times (& trying all sorts) it finally came on & completed the updates. it worked fine, & then I...
  10. Windows won't turn the monitor off since installing Win 10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows won't turn the monitor off since installing Win 10.: Is anyone else experiencing windows not turning off their screen as scheduled? If so is there a fix to get it to turn off as scheduled? 29472