Windows 10: Laptop won't turn on if the battery is plugged in (black magic?)

Discus and support Laptop won't turn on if the battery is plugged in (black magic?) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I'm quite an expert and savvy about PC's and notebooks, I even repair hardware sometimes, but this problem is driving me nuts. I have a lenovo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rambomhtri, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Laptop won't turn on if the battery is plugged in (black magic?)

Hi, I'm quite an expert and savvy about PC's and notebooks, I even repair hardware sometimes, but this problem is driving me nuts. I have a lenovo Y510P notebook, Windows 10. It's been working just fine all last 7 years, normally with the AC charger plugged in and the battery as well, but in "life mode", which charges the battery up to 60% and then it doesn't charge it anymore. So, the battery has been barely used, theoretically. Last week, suddenly, I turned on the laptop but it wouldn't do anything, it would stay dead, no charging light, no LEDs at all.

So, I unplugged the AC charger, removed the battery, plugged everything back again, but still, 100% dead, no charging lights, no LEDs, nothing. So I thought: ok, the battery is empty and the Lenovo AC charger magically died last night. I tried an ASUS charger with same voltage, nothing. I took the Lenovo AC charger, tried it on another notebook, worked just fine. So, the Lenovo charger was working fine. Then it must be the battery, I thought, somehow it's not only dead, but also faulty in a way that if it's even plugged in, it won't let the notebook boot up.

I removed the battery, plugged the Lenovo AC charger, pushed the ON button, and to my surprise, nothing, no response, completely dead. Then I did the opposite, plugged in the battery, removed AC charger, nothing, same result. I was starting to think the MoBo magically died last night. I removed the battery, and tried the Lenovo AC charger on another laptop to double check and it worked just fine. I was about to officially declare the Y510P 100% dead overnight, but I tried a few more times with just the AC charger, and suddenly, it turned on after 5 minutes trying. Wow, I was really bugged...
    What the hell was going on?
    The Lenovo AC charger works only at times?
    Also the battery is completely dead?
    Two major problems appearing overnight?

I started to turn the Y510P off, then turned it on back again several times. Worked every single time. So, it seemed it was the battery, which was faulty, but then, why it didn't turn on when it didn't have the battery plugged in a few minutes ago? Why it suddenly started to work?

So, I inserted the battery back again, that broke it again, laptop completely dead. Removed the battery, plugged in the AC, nothing, completely dead. OK, the battery seems to be so faulty it won't let the laptop boot up, but not only that, it will "infect" the laptop for a few minutes and even after being removed it won't let it turn on. Sounds like black magic. Tried and tried until it started to work again.

Now, I've been using the laptop without the battery, only on AC, for the last week, and it has turned on every single time. So, one could think it's simply the battery. But, can you explain to me why, after plugging the battery in and removing it, the laptop won't turn on for a few minutes, on AC and everything?

During this "dead" time after removing the apparently dead battery, I've tried to push the ON button to clear CMOS, but nothing, it really looks like the battery makes the laptop sick and dead for a few minutes, and then it recovers and can respond.

Any explanation?
    It could all be reduced to "faulty battery", but the "after dead" time doesn't fit, or at least I don't understand it and doesn't make sense to me.

What I can guarantee is that the charger works fine since I've been turning the laptop on during a whole week a lot without a single problem. Today I plugged the battery, one week later, and broke the laptop again, with the corresponding "dead period", until it works fine again on AC.

:)

rambomhtri, Jan 12, 2020

2. Laptop won't turn on if the battery is plugged in (black magic?)

Hi, I'm quite an expert and savvy about PC's and notebooks, I even repair hardware sometimes, but this problem is driving me nuts. I have a lenovo Y510P notebook, Windows 10. It's been working just fine all last 7 years, normally with the AC charger plugged in and the battery as well, but in "life mode", which charges the battery up to 60% and then it doesn't charge it anymore. So, the battery has been barely used, theoretically. Last week, suddenly, I turned on the laptop but it wouldn't do anything, it would stay dead, no charging light, no LEDs at all.

So, I unplugged the AC charger, removed the battery, plugged everything back again, but still, 100% dead, no charging lights, no LEDs, nothing. So I thought: ok, the battery is empty and the Lenovo AC charger magically died last night. I tried an ASUS charger with same voltage, nothing. I took the Lenovo AC charger, tried it on another notebook, worked just fine. So, the Lenovo charger was working fine. Then it must be the battery, I thought, somehow it's not only dead, but also faulty in a way that if it's even plugged in, it won't let the notebook boot up.

I removed the battery, plugged the Lenovo AC charger, pushed the ON button, and to my surprise, nothing, no response, completely dead. Then I did the opposite, plugged in the battery, removed AC charger, nothing, same result. I was starting to think the MoBo magically died last night. I removed the battery, and tried the Lenovo AC charger on another laptop to double check and it worked just fine. I was about to officially declare the Y510P 100% dead overnight, but I tried a few more times with just the AC charger, and suddenly, it turned on after 5 minutes trying. Wow, I was really bugged...
    What the hell was going on?
    The Lenovo AC charger works only at times?
    Also the battery is completely dead?
    Two major problems appearing overnight?

I started to turn the Y510P off, then turned it on back again several times. Worked every single time. So, it seemed it was the battery, which was faulty, but then, why it didn't turn on when it didn't have the battery plugged in a few minutes ago? Why it suddenly started to work?

So, I inserted the battery back again, that broke it again, laptop completely dead. Removed the battery, plugged in the AC, nothing, completely dead. OK, the battery seems to be so faulty it won't let the laptop boot up, but not only that, it will "infect" the laptop for a few minutes and even after being removed it won't let it turn on. Sounds like black magic. Tried and tried until it started to work again.

Now, I've been using the laptop without the battery, only on AC, for the last week, and it has turned on every single time. So, one could think it's simply the battery. But, can you explain to me why, after plugging the battery in and removing it, the laptop won't turn on for a few minutes, on AC and everything?

During this "dead" time after removing the apparently dead battery, I've tried to push the ON button to clear CMOS, but nothing, it really looks like the battery makes the laptop sick and dead for a few minutes, and then it recovers and can respond.

Any explanation?
    It could all be reduced to "faulty battery", but the "after dead" time doesn't fit, or at least I don't understand it and doesn't make sense to me.

What I can guarantee is that the charger works fine since I've been turning the laptop on during a whole week a lot without a single problem. Today I plugged the battery, one week later, and broke the laptop again, with the corresponding "dead period", until it works fine again on AC.

rambomhtri, Jan 12, 2020
  3. bobkn Win User
    Laptop won't turn on if the battery is plugged in (black magic?)

Dead CMOS battery, maybe?

A quick Web search suggests that it is soldered to the motherboard, unfortunately.

bobkn, Jan 12, 2020
  4. Pluginz Win User

I was going to ask the same thing.

Unplug battery and power lead and hold down the power button for a minimum of 15 seconds. Then connect back up.

As the battery is DC, the charger has to step down and convert from AC to store power into the cells. So if the adapter is starting to cause problems, it may not be able to switch the current. I would get a multimeter on the end of the charger lead and see if you are getting the switchable feed on both sides of the wires. Make sure you know what youre doing here *Smile

As you probably already know, a battery will only show a + voltage if multimeter connected to correct polarity. So a fully charged 6 cell laptop battery is typically 10.8v charged and about 9v flat. This is a cut off voltage so you get constant power all the way to 0%. If the Lithium Ion cells go any lower than 3.2 to 3.0v each, you will knacker the cells. So again you could point the battery problem, to a broken down adapter.

Trouble is, at the time Lithium Ions capacity wasnt great and rather than use a quality, high mah cell. They cheat and use lower spec 18650's in parallel, which halfs the voltage and doubles the milliamps.

Also have a check of the pins on the under side of laptop and also battery pins and make sure they are all clean. Some electrical cleaner and a toothbrush is good. Brake Cleaner works well too *Smile

Good luck

Pluginz, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Laptop won't turn on if the battery is plugged in (black magic?) - Similar Threads - Laptop won't turn

2. Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in even though the battery is at 100%

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in even though the battery is at 100%: Hello! I had bought my laptop a little over 2 years ago. I had been playing a game on it and it shut off in the middle of it. After tinkering with it, it will not turn on or display the light on the power key unless it is plugged in. I made sure it was at full charge and the...
  3. Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in even though the battery is at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in even though the battery is at 100%: Hello! I had bought my laptop a little over 2 years ago. I had been playing a game on it and it shut off in the middle of it. After tinkering with it, it will not turn on or display the light on the power key unless it is plugged in. I made sure it was at full charge and the...
  4. Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in even though the battery is at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My laptop won't turn on unless it's plugged in

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop won't turn on unless it's plugged in: It says that the battery is full so I unplug the charger and it turns off straight away and won't turn back on unless I plug it back in. I got a new battery because I thought that was the issue but its doing the same thing. My laptop is an acer...
  6. Laptop turns black when plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop turns black when plugged in: Hello i have a asus vivobook laptop and the problem while i was playing and the low battery showed i plugged in mg charger and it instantly turned black and i cannot open it and it is not charging when it is plugged in...
  7. Laptop turns black when plugged in

Laptop turns black when plugged in: Hello i have a asus vivobook laptop and the problem while i was playing and the low battery showed i plugged in mg charger and it instantly turned black and i cannot open it and it is not charging when it is plugged in...
  8. laptop won't turn on without battery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop won't turn on without battery: My dad has a Win8 laptop which had been upgraded to Win10 yet he hasn't had chance to use.3 years ago he asked me to get a battery for it, because the laptop resides in the West Indies and due to the pandemic hasn't been able to bring it or send it.He came with it last week...
  9. laptop won't turn on without battery

laptop won't turn on without battery: My dad has a Win8 laptop which had been upgraded to Win10 yet he hasn't had chance to use.3 years ago he asked me to get a battery for it, because the laptop resides in the West Indies and due to the pandemic hasn't been able to bring it or send it.He came with it last week...
  10. laptop won't turn on without battery

in Windows 10 Customization