Windows 10: Laptop's headphone audio jack refuses to output sound. Most likely a driver issue since...

Discus and support Laptop's headphone audio jack refuses to output sound. Most likely a driver issue since... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This is an old W7 Asus laptop from 2012 that I recently brought back into service and had been working like a charm since I upgraded to W10 (while not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/HeavenPiercingMan, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Laptop's headphone audio jack refuses to output sound. Most likely a driver issue since...

This is an old W7 Asus laptop from 2012 that I recently brought back into service and had been working like a charm since I upgraded to W10 (while not keeping any previous files)

I plugged some external speakers in the laptop's audio jack 2 days ago, at first they didn't work but it looked like they weren't correctly plugged in. Okay, everything worked until today.

My internal speakers work. If i plug anything, they stop working as usual, but no sound ever comes from my external speakers or any headphone I plug in.

But whenever I live-boot into Linux from my USB drive, everything works perfectly. In fact I first noticed the problem when rebooting back into Windows.

I tried switching drivers from the generic Windows one to the ones that came with the laptop originally, and the Realtek audio manager detected something being plugged in, but still, no sound. Windows settings and the control panel only show "speakers" and never recognize the presence of any headphone or external speaker. I messed with the drivers, the "troubleshooter", the device manager's device options, all to no avail, then uninstalled the extra drivers. No change.

And no, it ain't the external hardware, they work perfectly when plugged into anything else.

submitted by /u/HeavenPiercingMan
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/HeavenPiercingMan, Aug 23, 2020
  2. Nexu Win User

No sound from speaker/headphone output jack with Realtek ALC269

Sometime during the March updates the Windows Update completely broke my laptop system (Acer Aspire 5820TG - 424G50Mn). I ignored it for a long time due to lack of spare time until I saw a few days ago that Redstone 5 was available for download and now I finally have some time to take care of my laptop. I decided to perform a clean install of Insider Preview on my SSD.
    But now after the clean install I noticed my audio device isn't working as it should. I get sound out of the laptop speakers, but when I plug in my speaker or headphones in the audio jack, no sound comes out of it. The volume mixer tells me there is audio signal. The jack detection is working as the Realtek Audio Manager warns me (after I enabled it) when something gets plugged in or unplugged. It even correctly mutes the laptop speaker. But the just no actual sound coming out of the speakers/headphones.

OS Version 10.0.17758.1 (Win10 RS5 Insider Preview)

Device Description Realtek ALC269
    Device Description (Windows) Realtek High Definition Audio
    Device Type Audio
    Bus Type HDAUDIO
    Device ID 10EC-0269
    Subsystem ID 1025-035D
    Revision 1001
    Hardware ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_1025035D&REV_1001

Device Identifier Device Description
    midi-out.0 0001 001B Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
    mixer.0 0001 0068 Speakers (Realtek High Definiti
    mixer.1 0001 0068 Realtek Digital Output (Realtek
    mixer.2 0001 0068 Microphone (Realtek High Defini
    wave-in.0 0001 0065 Microphone (Realtek High Defini
    wave-out.0 0001 0064 Speakers (Realtek High Definiti
    wave-out.1 0001 0064 Realtek Digital Output (Realtek

It's not a hardware failure in anyway since the laptop and the sound system works PERFECTLY (sound out of laptop speaker, sound out of headphone/speaker when audio jack plugged in) if I boot up in Linux. Microphone jack does function properly in both Windows 10 and Linux.

I tried all kind of drivers, from laptop manufacturer, to Realtek's, to the ones in Windows Update Catalogue. Non of them seem to fix the issue

I tried various drivers:
    • 64-bits drivers offered for my laptop model on the Acer website
    • Generic 64-bits drivers offered on the Realtek website
    • Drivers offered on the Windows Update Catalogue
    Non of them helps fixing the issue of no sound coming out of the output jack.
    I know 100% that it's not a hardware issue since my Linux install are working fine. So that makes me believe it's either a driver issue (quite some people seem to have this problem as well with Realtek) or a Windows issue.

I really need some help to resolve this...

3. Alienware Laptop M17x R4 - Sound Blaster Recon3Di - headphone jack not functioning properly

Thanks for the info.

I tried method 1 and it did not change anything.

I followed the link and followed all directions for updating drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, installing only generic Microsoft drivers, etc. I tried everything.

I read over method 2 and tried to disable the speakers, just to see what it would do. There was no sound, of course. I checked the list and it doesn't look like the device manager recognizes the jack at all. There is a 'Speakers' option and several 'Digital
    Display Audio' options that are greyed out because I do not have any outputs going anywhere. I tried to find the headphone and headphone/mic jacks on the list, but they aren't there. I checked the jacks and there is nothing physically wrong with them, the
    laptop just has no idea that there are jacks available. When I plug in the headphones, the sound comes from the speakers AND the headphones.

I guess my next step is figuring out why the laptop suddenly doesn't recognize that there are jacks available.

Thank you so much for your quick response and I hope you can help me again.

DalthaDolanch, Aug 23, 2020
  4. newuser0 Win User

Laptop's headphone audio jack refuses to output sound. Most likely a driver issue since...

Windows 10 Headphones not auto-selected when inserted to audio jack

Hi, I have an Acer Swift 5 laptop running latest Windows Version 10 64-bit.

Is there a way in setting to select the headphones as the output device automatically when the headphones are connected to the Audio jack?

When the headphones are connected to the audio jack, a notification pops out in bottom right corner prompting:
    "Which device did you plug in?", with the Headphone highlighted. I have to then click "OK" to select it.

Is there a setting to make this automatic?

In Sound settings, under "Output device", I only see "Readltek(R) Audio" listed, even the headphones are connected.

Thanks.

newuser0, Aug 23, 2020
Thema:

Laptop's headphone audio jack refuses to output sound. Most likely a driver issue since...

1. Laptop's headphone audio jack refuses to output sound. Most likely a driver issue since... - Similar Threads - Laptop's headphone audio

2. Audio jack issue: headphones not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio jack issue: headphones not working: Hello, I'm having a strange issue with my Windows 10 laptop where I am plugging my headphones into the audio jack, but it doesn't seem to recognize it. However, it gets weird. If I restart my laptop with the headphones in the audio jack, it works when the laptop goes on just...
  3. Headphone jack/ audio driver not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphone jack/ audio driver not working.: I have a Fairly new PC, the DellI inspiron 3891. It has 2 places to put my headphones in, a green port in the backDose not support mic, and there is not the red mic port, and a non-colored port in the front, which should be the port for audio and mic.My problem is the front...
  4. Headphone jack/ audio driver not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headphone jack/ audio driver not working.: I have a Fairly new PC, the DellI inspiron 3891. It has 2 places to put my headphones in, a green port in the backDose not support mic, and there is not the red mic port, and a non-colored port in the front, which should be the port for audio and mic.My problem is the front...
  5. Audio/Headphone jack not working/No Audio Output Device is installed.

Audio/Headphone jack not working/No Audio Output Device is installed.: Hi, I have a Dell XPS 13 9365, which I modded into a "desktop"I had fresh installed windows from a USB Device, but, I realized the audio menu says "No Audio Output Device is installed."I had the original speakers plugged in, the connection was alright, yet it still didn't...
  6. Audio/Headphone jack not working/No Audio Output Device is installed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio/Headphone jack not working/No Audio Output Device is installed.: Hi, I have a Dell XPS 13 9365, which I modded into a "desktop"I had fresh installed windows from a USB Device, but, I realized the audio menu says "No Audio Output Device is installed."I had the original speakers plugged in, the connection was alright, yet it still didn't...
  7. Audio/Headphone jack not working/No Audio Output Device is installed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. no output jack for sound audio on zenbook laptop?

no output jack for sound audio on zenbook laptop?: ugh...how do you listen to get audio output to pair with bluet tooth and a JBL charge 4, with my zenbook https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-output-jack-for-sound-audio-on-zenbook-laptop/f5b144de-1957-4e99-a0d5-2ae5010bb325
  9. no sound on output jack

no sound on output jack: I get sound out of my internal speakers, but no sound when I plug ear phones into the output jack. I've got a new HP laptop model - 17-BY1053DX with Windows 10. Thanks. 148833
  10. Audio output issues with Headphone jack on Rode Podcaster, Windows 10.

Audio output issues with Headphone jack on Rode Podcaster, Windows 10.: Hi the problem i have is that the headphone jack on my rode podcaster dont play any sound from the computer. this is what i have tired to do to fix it I set it to default in the playback options and dissabld my normal sound card restared pc and still no sound when you right...