Windows 10: Large data transfer over USB 3 stalls.

Discus and support Large data transfer over USB 3 stalls. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently bought a... "Rosewill USB to SATA USB 3.0 to Hard Drive Adapter Cable Converter for 2.5 3.5 Inch Hard Drive Disk HDD and SSD Support UASP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sqrly, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Sqrly Win User

Large data transfer over USB 3 stalls.

I recently bought a...

"Rosewill USB to SATA USB 3.0 to Hard Drive Adapter Cable Converter for 2.5 3.5 Inch Hard Drive Disk HDD and SSD Support UASP SATA III with 12V 2A Power Adapter"

... because I have a lot of old SATAII hard drives and I like to back up old files on them, games, pics, my Star Trek TV collection, etc etc.

I'm using one of the (blue) USB 3 slots in the back that's built right into my MSI Intel Z87-GD65 Mobo.

If I try to copy over a large amount of data in one shot the transfer ends up stalling part way through.

(media files, 1-2gb in size in excess of 50gb total lets say (because honestly I'm not sure what the threshold is))

The transfer rate drops down to bytes/s. I can pause it and then cancel the transfer. If I do several smaller seperate sequential transfers, everything works fine.

I just recently had the same issue using a ...

"SanDisk 128GB Extreme Go USB 3.1 Flash Drive, Speed Up to 200MB/s (SDCZ800-128G-G46)"

... in the same USB 3 port.

When it stalled, I had to pause then cancel the transfer. Eject the device then remove and plug it back in. Then the transfer rate would be fine again.

Does anyone know why this happens or how to permanently fix it?

Large data transfer over USB 3 stalls. [​IMG]

:)

Sqrly, Jan 20, 2021

2. Transferring a large amount of data

Thank you for your input. This transfer of a large amount of data is a one-off for me and it is highly likely that I won't ever do it again. I certainly don't think that it is worth the outlay to convert to USB 3.0.

If I can just get confirmation as to the best way to carry out the transfer and, that my Seagate SSD is suitable to use as the home for my data to be used on a daily basis, then I will be happy.

Bluenose1940, Jan 20, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Jan 20, 2021
  4. Large data transfer over USB 3 stalls.

Transferring a large amount of data

The 200 GB of data/files/folders is currently on an internal Western Digital Hard Drive and the SSD is a 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive connected to the pc by way of a USB cable (USB 2 I believe)

Is this SSD suitable for transferring the data to and, is it OK to be used on a regular daily basis for accessing said data.

Thank you folks for offering to help with this.

Bluenose1940, Jan 20, 2021
Thema:

Large data transfer over USB 3 stalls.

1. Large data transfer over USB 3 stalls. - Similar Threads - Large data transfer

2. Large file uploads are stalling in W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Large file uploads are stalling in W10: Happens in 2 apps for sure:- Using any browser, uploading a largish file even just a few Mb goes very slowly or stalls completely perhaps being cancelled on the receiving end for being too slow?. Such as uploading STL files to a 3d printing house, or attaching a large file to...
  3. Large file uploads are stalling in W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Large file uploads are stalling in W10: Happens in 2 apps for sure:- Using any browser, uploading a largish file even just a few Mb goes very slowly or stalls completely perhaps being cancelled on the receiving end for being too slow?. Such as uploading STL files to a 3d printing house, or attaching a large file to...
  4. Large file uploads are stalling in W10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Interruption of data transfer of large folder to hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Interruption of data transfer of large folder to hard drive: I have a 1 year old Western Digital 12TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive that I use to back up all my critical data. Had a planned backup for a 400GB folder today and plugged the hard drive in. I copied and transferred the folder over and left to let it so it's thing.However I...
  6. Interruption of data transfer of large folder to hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Interruption of data transfer of large folder to hard drive: I have a 1 year old Western Digital 12TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive that I use to back up all my critical data. Had a planned backup for a 400GB folder today and plugged the hard drive in. I copied and transferred the folder over and left to let it so it's thing.However I...
  7. Interruption of data transfer of large folder to hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. android transfering data to windows by usb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    android transfering data to windows by usb: trying to download all Samsung cloud data on my pc, please walls me through the steps bc i definitely dont unsderwtrqand https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/android-transfering-data-to-windows-by-usb/07f6f51f-15cd-4c71-a985-db77ecf64958
  9. Transferring a large amount of data

in Windows 10 Support
    Transferring a large amount of data: I need to transfer 200GB of data from an HDD to an SSD. I am using Windows 10 Professional. Can anyone advise me of the best and speediest way to do this please. Many thanks. 138112
  10. Over large view

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Over large view: Hello, please i really need your help. My Asus pc has not given me problem until i upgrade to windows 10. After upgrading i start facing different issue one of it is over stretched view. After restart i encounter a much more very serious one. Which is over large view at the...