Windows 10: Large downloads in any application regularly fail due to SSL errors

Discus and support Large downloads in any application regularly fail due to SSL errors in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; If I try downloading a file over around 50MB it will usually fail at some point due to an SSL error, this might be after 100MB or it might be after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Tetracyclic, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Large downloads in any application regularly fail due to SSL errors

If I try downloading a file over around 50MB it will usually fail at some point due to an SSL error, this might be after 100MB or it might be after 1GB, but it's rare a large download will finish without issue. In applications that output errors, the error is usually some variation of "decryption failed", a hash mismatch or something more general like "the download failed in secure channel support".

If the application supports resuming downloads I can typically keep resuming it until eventually the entire file is downloaded. I don't have any trouble accessing websites in any browser and never have issues downloading small files of a few MB.

The issue happens in Firefox, Chrome, Edge, command-line tools like Invoke-WebRequest or wget (through Conemu) and various application updaters. It's been stumping me for so long I've run out of words to string together in a Google query to find people experiencing similar problems and the error PowerShell spits out is a Googlewhack, most terms are just too generic to lead to anything related to this.

For a demonstration, I executed Invoke-WebRequest {S3 URL} -OutFile test.tar.gz on a 3GB file. Initially, the data is written to the file correctly and the "Number of bytes written:" counter in the console spins up to match the size shown in the file properties. After it had downloaded 354MB it failed, with the following error:

Invoke-WebRequest : The decryption operation failed, see inner exception. At line:1 char:1 + Invoke-WebRequest "https://textinmotion-backup.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: Large downloads in any application regularly fail due to SSL errors :)) [Invoke-WebRequest], IOException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.IOException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeWebRequestCommand

This is very repeatable and will happen essentially every time with a large file, only the point it fails at will change, even on the same file. Running the above command three times resulted in failures at 354MB, 174MB and 45MB.

I'm running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18363 (though this has happened through a couple of large Windows updates).

submitted by /u/Tetracyclic
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Tetracyclic, Aug 25, 2020
  2. chideock Win User

KB4025339 Fails Install 0x80070564

Thanks
    I am trying Eagle 51's suggestions now. Windows Update troubleshooter found a bunch of errors and fixed all but one.The update is trying to download KB4025339 again. I'll see what happens. At step one troubleshooter finishes with one error unresolved "Potential Windows Update Database Error Detected-Not Fixed". Windows update stalled at 0%.

At step 2 same troubleshooter error. The KB finished a new download failed to install.
    Did step 3 KB has downloaded but fails to install.

If Eagle's suggestion doesn't work I'll try EdTittel's suggestion

Tried bothe Eagle & Ed 's suggestions - do not work. Anyone else?

I have noticed that the latest update for my nvidia drivers has failed to update. Wondering about that!

chideock, Aug 25, 2020
  3. Unkn0wn Win User
    Event 1000 Application Error Faulting Application Name: attrib.exe

Hello again,

Also Open SSL is a shared library for games and application development, but since you only got the errors yesterday I would also suggest to repair the game/application you installed at that time (say uninstall and install it again).

So by any chance do you have steam installed? because libcrypto and libssl comes with steam too, The advice would be to reinstall steam and see what happens from there, if the uninstallation removes the ssl library from your pc and reinstalls it it might just fix the problem.

Unkn0wn, Aug 25, 2020
  4. Large downloads in any application regularly fail due to SSL errors

“The backup application could not start due to an internal error: Server execution failed (0x80080005)" Windows 10

Hi,

I'm getting “The backup application could not start due to an internal error: Server execution failed (0x80080005)" after upgrading from Windows 7 pro.

Appreciate if anyone has suggestions on how to fix this error?

Thanks,

LedZeppelin2104, Aug 25, 2020
Thema:

Large downloads in any application regularly fail due to SSL errors

1. Large downloads in any application regularly fail due to SSL errors - Similar Threads - Large downloads application

2. Epic Games Launcher fails to start due to untrusted SSL/TLS certificates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Epic Games Launcher fails to start due to untrusted SSL/TLS certificates: Hi all,I have a weird thing going on with my Epic Games Launcher installation that I think I can attribute to a Windows certificate problem.So the Epic Games Launcher was working fine for a long while, until suddenly it started producing errors about "unable to connect to...
  3. Epic Games Launcher fails to start due to untrusted SSL/TLS certificates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Epic Games Launcher fails to start due to untrusted SSL/TLS certificates: Hi all,I have a weird thing going on with my Epic Games Launcher installation that I think I can attribute to a Windows certificate problem.So the Epic Games Launcher was working fine for a long while, until suddenly it started producing errors about "unable to connect to...
  4. Application crashes due to ntdll.dll error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Application crashes due to ntdll.dll error: Please help me to find why application was crashed ? is it my application issue or .dll file? please support me know why application was crashed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/application-crashes-due-to-ntdlldll-error/176ca3d2-61a2-4ad1-bf0b-525850a28c15
  5. Cannot startup any UWP app due to Application Integrity check failing

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Cannot startup any UWP app due to Application Integrity check failing: Cannot startup any UWP app, except Settings.Tried to `wsreset` or reinstall all the applications using powershell commandline, tried to `sfc /scannow` and dism check health, tried to reset directory permission yet no effect.Here's the logs from...
  6. Application download errors.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Application download errors.: When I try to open up a .zip application by extracting it to my downloads, it greets me with the error messages "This code execution cannot proceed because GlobalPlatform.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program..." and "This code execution cannot proceed because...
  7. Large downloads

Large downloads: Good people, We've just begun using OneDrive or SharePoint to transfer video files and there's a limit of 20GB for any one download. The footage I'm attempting to acquire currently adds up to 85 GB, so we have to spread it out into multiple folder and download each one...
  8. SSL Errors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSL Errors: submitted by /u/RealProgrammerPlays [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fnungy/ssl_errors/
  9. Unable to download or open almost all applications due to win32u.dll error.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to download or open almost all applications due to win32u.dll error.: When I try to open or download specific apps, I get a system error saying: "The code execution cannot proceed because win32u.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem". I have tried uninstalling the program, however this does not resolve the problem and...
  10. invalid ssl error

invalid ssl error: hi, I have this problem where some websites such as epicgames.com, store.steampowered.com and discord.gg do not work and instead show the invalid ssl certificate / insecure connection error. This happens on every browser, including the native epic games and steam clients. I...