Windows 10: Large External Hard Drives Not Accessable after reinstall of Windows 10

Discus and support Large External Hard Drives Not Accessable after reinstall of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I did a full and fresh reinstall Reset this PC of Windows 10 on my Lenovo Thinkpad i7 computer. Now all my large 4tb and bigger external hard drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by John Jacobson3, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Large External Hard Drives Not Accessable after reinstall of Windows 10

I did a full and fresh reinstall Reset this PC of Windows 10 on my Lenovo Thinkpad i7 computer. Now all my large 4tb and bigger external hard drives are not accessable. They were all fine prior to the reinstall.I am able to open smaller external drives without issue. One is via Thunderbolt USB3, the other is USB. Within the Disk Manager, I am able to see the Disk Disk 1, but it is not given a Drive Letter, nor can access the files. I also cannot add a letter. See photos below. Any help with this would be most appreciated.

:)

John Jacobson3, Feb 24, 2024

2. Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Feb 24, 2024
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Feb 24, 2024
  4. Large External Hard Drives Not Accessable after reinstall of Windows 10

External Hard Drive

To address your concern, here are the troubleshooting steps that you can try. Follow the steps below:

Uninstall and reinstall the external hard drive program.

• In the Settings app, go to System.
    • Go to Apps & features and locate the external hard drive program.
    • Uninstall the program and go to the manufacturer's website to reinstall the updated version.
    Uninstall and reinstall the Paragon driver software.

• Following the same steps mentioned above, locate the software in Apps & features
      and uninstall it.
    • After uninstalling the software, go to the manufacturer's website to reinstall it.
    To further isolate your concern, we'd also like to verify if the OneDrive app is enabled on your PC.

You can hit us back for additional help.

Kind regards.

Jennifer Cha, Feb 24, 2024
Thema:

Large External Hard Drives Not Accessable after reinstall of Windows 10

1. Large External Hard Drives Not Accessable after reinstall of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Large External Hard

2. External Hard Drive is not accessible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive is not accessible: I am having issues accesing my external hard drive when i connect it to the PC, i thought it was a USB port issue but i have tried another PC to check and it keeps showing "access is denied"...
  3. External Hard Drive is not accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive is not accessible: I am having issues accesing my external hard drive when i connect it to the PC, i thought it was a USB port issue but i have tried another PC to check and it keeps showing "access is denied"...
  4. External Hard Drive is not accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Large External Hard Drives Not Accessable after reinstall of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Large External Hard Drives Not Accessable after reinstall of Windows 10: I did a full and fresh reinstall Reset this PC of Windows 10 on my Lenovo Thinkpad i7 computer. Now all my large 4tb and bigger external hard drives are not accessable. They were all fine prior to the reinstall.I am able to open smaller external drives without issue. One is...
  6. Large External Hard Drives Not Accessable after reinstall of Windows 10

Large External Hard Drives Not Accessable after reinstall of Windows 10: I did a full and fresh reinstall Reset this PC of Windows 10 on my Lenovo Thinkpad i7 computer. Now all my large 4tb and bigger external hard drives are not accessable. They were all fine prior to the reinstall.I am able to open smaller external drives without issue. One is...
  7. Windows 10 external hard drive access denied

Windows 10 external hard drive access denied: I have an external backup hard drive that has suddenly started giving "Access denied" error message when I try to open it. However, if i open a CMD window as administrator, I can fully access the external drive and copy or move files as normal. Right now, my plan is to copy...
  8. External Hard Drive No Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  9. External Hard drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...
  10. External Hard drive not accessible...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive not accessible...: Hi All, External Hard drive not accessible...? I have 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim 200gb cloud Hard Drive. It was working fine on Win 7 earlier, I formatted my desktop and installed win 7 OS since then my exernal hard drive is not initializing. My external hdd was not...