Windows 10: Large file transfer fails under Win10 but succeeds under Linux

Discus and support Large file transfer fails under Win10 but succeeds under Linux in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My PC has an external drive connected by USB3 that contains a large (2.2TB) file, a full-system backup. I want to transfer that file to a NAS RAID that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AntonyStark1, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Large file transfer fails under Win10 but succeeds under Linux

My PC has an external drive connected by USB3 that contains a large (2.2TB) file, a full-system backup.
    I want to transfer that file to a NAS RAID that is connected by wired Ethernet through an ASUS RT-AC3200.
    I initiate the transfer by opening two File Explorer windows, one for the external drive and one for the directory on the RAID system, grab the file with the mouse pointer and drag it over. All goes well for the first 320 GB.

The transfer rate is around 75 MB/sec. Then it slows, and slows some more, and finally continues at about 30 KB/sec for several hours.
    This is, of course, impossibly slow, with a time to completion measured in months.

The Ethernet driver is Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V. I have already "Disabled" Large Send Offload V2 (IPv4 and IPv6) and Jumbo Packet. The drivers are up-to-date, official Microsoft drivers.

The thing is --- if I reboot the PC under Ubuntu 18.04 --- exactly the same hardware without changing anything else --- and do the same thing (open two windows, drag the file from one to the other)then the file transfer works perfectly. It runs at 75 MB/s for 7 hours, resulting in identical copies at both locations. I therefore conclude this is a Win10 problem.

:)

AntonyStark1, Sep 14, 2019

2. Large file transfer fails under Win10 but succeeds under Linux

Thanks for the suggetion. I tried ROBOCOPY and it did work, but at a net transfer rate that was only about 35 Mb/s.

However, the point here is that there is something wrong with the transfer under Win 10 that is not a problem under Linux and is therefore not a hardware or a firmware settings problem.

This problem extends to trying to do an Acronis backup directly to the RAID system. That fails in the same way as the File Explorer transfer --- it goes just fine for about 320 GB and then slows to the point where the backup fails. The reason I have made
    the complaint in terms of File Explorer is that otherwise Acronis itself would be under suspicion.

AntonyStark1, Sep 25, 2019
  3. Large file transfer fails under Win10 but succeeds under Linux

My PC has an external drive connected by USB3 that contains a large (2.2TB) file, a full-system backup.

I want to transfer that file to a NAS RAID that is connected by wired Ethernet through an ASUS RT-AC3200.

I initiate the transfer by opening two File Explorer windows, one for the external drive and one for the directory on the RAID system, grab the file with the mouse pointer and drag it over. All goes well for the first 320 GB.

The transfer rate is around 75 MB/sec. Then it slows, and slows some more, and finally continues at about 30 KB/sec for several hours.

This is, of course, impossibly slow, with a time to completion measured in months.

The Ethernet driver is Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V. I have already "Disabled" Large Send Offload V2 (IPv4 and IPv6) and Jumbo Packet. The drivers are up-to-date, official Microsoft drivers.

The thing is --- if I reboot the PC under Ubuntu 18.04 --- exactly the same hardware without changing anything else --- and do the same thing (open two windows, drag the file from one to the other)then the file transfer works perfectly. It runs at 75 MB/s
    for 7 hours, resulting in identical copies at both locations. I therefore conclude this is a Win10 problem.

AntonyStark1, Sep 25, 2019
  4. Large file transfer fails under Win10 but succeeds under Linux

Large file transfer fails under Win10 but succeeds under Linux

If the problem is caused by Windows then doing the Acronis backup should work normally, provided that you boot the machine with an Acronis Rescue Disk. You would then be completely independent of Windows, same as under Linux.

If Acronis itself is under suspicion then you should deactivate all three Acronis services through the Services Manager (services.msc).

Frederik Long, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

Large file transfer fails under Win10 but succeeds under Linux

1. Large file transfer fails under Win10 but succeeds under Linux - Similar Threads - Large file transfer

2. Static IP for Linux Under WSL?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Static IP for Linux Under WSL?: Is it possible to set a static ip for linux distrosManjaro in this case running under WSL? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/static-ip-for-linux-under-wsl/230b18c8-0725-49ff-9d61-3d36353275d0
  3. Static IP for Linux Under WSL?

Static IP for Linux Under WSL?: Is it possible to set a static ip for linux distros(Manjaro in this case) running under WSL? 181339
  4. turn off linux hdd under windows

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    turn off linux hdd under windows: Hi, Can I turn off the only linux hdd's at (win 10) boot time? Thanks 172842
  5. This PC File under Desktop

This PC File under Desktop: This PC File holds many downloaded files which I already saved. Should be clearly out and deleting periodically all the files in This PC File? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-pc-file-under-desktop/5ab3b2cd-b28c-4350-8121-04c2b71ba379
  6. .pls stream file (under Win10) Album cover display?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .pls stream file (under Win10) Album cover display?: I can still remember under WinXP, this was possible with the WindowsMediaPlayer, but now I have already tried all versions of VLC, AMP, Winamp and Potplayer and it does not work, such a simple thing but no chance. I want the cover image (contained in the folder png/jpg) to...
  7. Minecraft no longer runs under win10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft no longer runs under win10?: Hi, i recently uploaded my old cucumber from laptop to win10, now Minecraft is not running anymore. It was still working under win7. Even if only until 1.12.2. there is always something about OpenGL not being supported. That's nice, but it worked before that too? Minecraft...
  8. Can I use the same Win10 license to install native AND as a VM under Linux?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I use the same Win10 license to install native AND as a VM under Linux?: My wife uses Windows for everything. I like linux, but need Windows for gaming. I have a copy of Win10 installed natively. I want to experiment with running games on a Win10 virtual machine under Linux. The enterprise evaluation copy I'm using as a VM now has already expired...
  9. First Win10 Startup Fails, Second Startup Succeeds

in Windows 10 Support
    First Win10 Startup Fails, Second Startup Succeeds: After the latest round of Windows 10 updates, my computer does not boot up when I press the computer's On button. Instead, a blue window appears without the dots moving in a circle. So I press and hold the On button to take the computer down, then press it again to restart...
  10. Under the hood of Microsoft's Windows 10 Subsystem for Linux

in Windows 10 News
    Under the hood of Microsoft's Windows 10 Subsystem for Linux: Microsoft is revealing more details about how Bash on Windows 10 works, and the company's 'Drawbridge' pico-process work figures prominently. Bash on Windows 10 was one of the big reveals at Microsoft's recent Build conference. Since then, there's been a lot of speculation...