Windows 10: Large file transfers between drives freezes midway - Win10 x64

Discus and support Large file transfers between drives freezes midway - Win10 x64 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello. If a moderator prefers to move this thread to another subforum please feel free. The issue is with transferring large files from my main HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by eric9000k, Nov 17, 2017.

1. eric9000k Win User

Large file transfers between drives freezes midway - Win10 x64

Hello.
    If a moderator prefers to move this thread to another subforum please feel free.

The issue is with transferring large files from my main HDD to my removable HDD, the transfer STOPS and Windows freezes (usually recoverable by clicking cancel and waiting for the task to terminate).
    Sometimes files appear in the destination with no contents.

I have found other threads on the issue dating back to Win 8 etc. This has to do with the CRC (cyclic redundancy check) error in the torrent client I believe. Many posters in the other threads have advised people it's a sign of a bad disk but many others dispute this and say it's a problem with Windows in general.

What I've tried:

• Force Start (when torrent has CRC error) -- allowing the client to complete the download but not to seed
    • Check Disk (no errors of course on either drive ...?) *initializing this utility through C:>Properties>Tools
    • TeraCopy (appears to work somewhat but files still give partial errors)
    • Configuring the torrent client to download directly to the removable HD (might try this again more thoroughly)

What I haven't tried:

• Third party check disk client
    • Initializing a check disk at boot with cmd (If this is to be tried please give me the correct procedure)
    • Transferring the files in Safe Mode (^^as above)
    • Installing the torrent client on the removable HDD (not sure if/how this will work)
    • Re-formatting everything and starting over
    • Killing it with fire

Other comments:

• After using "Force Start" the download completes and media files appear to be playable in VLC
    • Windows is finding no errors with the drives using the basic CheckDisk Utility
    • Appears that only files with the CRC error in uTorrent are having this issue
    • I only run my torrent client when my VPN is running (NordVPN paid subscription)
    • The removable HDD is connected via USB 3.0 on a direct line

As I don't particularly enjoy "Remove and Delete .torrent + Data" on 20+ GB files every other day..*Think...I would sincerely appreciate some assistance with troubleshooting. Thank you in advance.

_Eric_

:)

eric9000k, Nov 17, 2017
  2. cjpirozzi Win User

Windows 10 Freezes during Large File Transfers between drives

My computer recently started crashing when I would be transfering large amounts of data to cloud storage. My system consists of 3 internal drives, 500gb Samsung 850 ssd which is my OS drive, I have a 6gb WD Red drive for videos, movies, & pictures, and
    a 2gb seagate drive for music & documents. I was backing up music, videos, pictures, etc to my OneDrive account, about 500gb of data, at about 100gb into the transfer it stopped and my computer locked up, only fix was to reboot. I then tried to backup my
    files to an external drive and the same result. After several days of moving files and computer crashes I was finally able to get all the files backed up to both the cloud and the external. Once I got the files I wanted off the computer I formtted both the
    WD & Seagate Drives and scanned them for errors, everthing came back OK. I then did a windows reset, not a full reinstall of Windows 10, but the Windows reset which just erases all apps, files, and personal data. After getting Windows set back up I tried
    moving my files back to the computer, within minutes the files stopped transferring and the computer locked up again. I tried moving files to just the WD from the external, crash. Moving to the Seagate from the cloud, crash. Moving from the ssd to the WD,
    crash. Moving from the ssd to the seagate, crash.

I finally read somewhere I should run the "Microsoft Safety Scanner" so I downloaded and ran it. It crashed 2 minutes into the scan.

I'm at a total loss as to what to do. Has anyone ever encountered an issue like this and is there a fix?

I would do a complete format of my ssd and reinstall windows 10 but when I upgraded from Windows 8 to 10 it was such a hassle. I was on the phone with microsoft for hours trying to get my product key working, I spoke to several levels of support and read
    them so many numbers from my PC that it was mind numbing. I'm not against a full reinstall, I actually really want to do it, but I know i"m looking at a day on the phone with Microsoft if that's the route I'm going to take.

Thanks for all your help and support

Charlie P

cjpirozzi, Nov 17, 2017
  3. Why do large data transfers between external drives just fall asleep.

windows 10 seems to be a mixed bag.

copying normal files seems faster than windows 7 or 8 but I get huge issues when backing up large data.

windows just goes to sleep or hangs about 3 minutes into the transfer, and you have to reboot to unlock the processes.

trying to transfer gigs of data between external drives and large terabyte internal drives.

win 7 did the job, just very slow.

I'm in graphics so we have 5 terabyte of storage and create a 100 gig a month.

I see there was a fix for this issue in 7 and 8 called Windows6.1-KB976972-x64, but is there a fix yet for win 10??

StrattonTodd, Nov 17, 2017
  4. tracit99 Win User

Once you have the file(s) on your computer, temporarily disconnect from the Internet and disable real time protection from whatever antivirus you are using. Then try transferring the file(s).

tracit99, Nov 17, 2017
Thema:

1. Large file transfers between drives freezes midway - Win10 x64 - Similar Threads - Large file transfers

2. File transfer of large files or large numbers of files speed drops or stops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File transfer of large files or large numbers of files speed drops or stops: A similar question had been locked in 2019 with no clear answer. I ran into this in August, 2022. I came to the conclusion that the problem was I was trying to copy between brand new drives that were attached to the same USB 3.0 Hub. I moved one of the drives so it was...
  3. File transfer of large files or large numbers of files speed drops or stops

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File transfer of large files or large numbers of files speed drops or stops: A similar question had been locked in 2019 with no clear answer. I ran into this in August, 2022. I came to the conclusion that the problem was I was trying to copy between brand new drives that were attached to the same USB 3.0 Hub. I moved one of the drives so it was...
  4. Language midway between boot and desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Language midway between boot and desktop: In some place between after my laptop boots, my login screen tarts to show stuff in Russian instead of english. I changed the typical windows language to English and changed the administrative language too but it didnt seem to change anything. What should i do? submitted by...
  5. Transfer large files between computers on different networks

Transfer large files between computers on different networks: I want to transfer from larger files from my pc to someone elses PC in an entirely different house and network. These files are too big to email, what is the fastest/cheapest way to do something like this? submitted by /u/foxmag86 [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows 10 Transfer files between drives

Windows 10 Transfer files between drives: I have 2 external drives attached to my Windows 10 computer. Drive A is 8TB, drive B is 4TB. Drive B is running low on space (Drive A has plenty) and I want to transfer/move files from a similar folder on B to A. There are a lot of Sub folders and files in both locations....
  7. Print failure midway through large job - OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Print failure midway through large job - OneDrive?: Friend has Win10, Corel WordPerfect and OneDrive. When printing large document 83pages it printed the first 20 or so normally, but then stopped and acted like it was trying to print to OneDrive. Is there a setting I have to look for, or do we have a file size conflict?...
  8. Large file transfer fails under Win10 but succeeds under Linux

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Large file transfer fails under Win10 but succeeds under Linux: My PC has an external drive connected by USB3 that contains a large (2.2TB) file, a full-system backup. I want to transfer that file to a NAS RAID that is connected by wired Ethernet through an ASUS RT-AC3200. I initiate the transfer by opening two File Explorer windows, one...
  9. Transfer files between encrypted and non-encrypted drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Transfer files between encrypted and non-encrypted drives?: Not sure where to post this, but... I’m currently awaiting a TPM module for my PC. Will use it in conjunction with BitLocker. Question, if I encrypt my drive, as long as I’m logged in to the encrypted PC, I assume I can still transfer files and folders between encrypted...
  10. some specific large mkv files' transferring freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    some specific large mkv files' transferring freezes: Hi. I am currently trying to transfer files to my new 4tb WD external HD. Ran into a problem where some specific large mkv files transferring freezed. don't know what causes it. I did try to copy and paste the same file on the original location, same thing happened, so I know...