Windows 10: Large files which are taking up disk space

Discus and support Large files which are taking up disk space in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Why is it that Windows is taking up 55GB+ of space which should not be taken up? These files aren't executable and didn't get notified that they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Lewis Dawson, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Large files which are taking up disk space

Hi,

Why is it that Windows is taking up 55GB+ of space which should not be taken up? These files aren't executable and didn't get notified that they were sitting there by windows.

Also, can anyone recommend any apps that allow you delete files whilst ignoring the fact that they are in-use?

Thanks.

Large files which are taking up disk space 0db09d5b-09e0-4e02-b780-a7584ac0ad52?upload=true.png

:)

Lewis Dawson, Dec 22, 2019
  2. Linney Win User

Windows 10 copy file to portable disk take double space

I don't really follow what you are saying. How is this Portable Disk formatted? Is it FAT, FAT32, or NTFS. Is your hard drive NTFS?

Maybe it is something along these lines but I'm not a hardware man so can't say for sure?

Microsoft support policy for 4K sector hard drives in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510009

An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Format Disks is available

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982018

"Disk space taken up by a file is rounded up, as a file takes a whole number of filesystem clusters. E.g. if your file's size is 3000 bytes, and filesystem cluster size is 4K, then the file will take 4K exactly. If your two filesystems use different cluster
    size, then amount of disk space wasted in this manner will be different."

Windows 7 disk properties dialog reports more used space than total size of files on the disk

Windows 7 disk properties dialog reports more used space than total size of files on the disk

Why Can’t I Copy a Large File Despite Having Larger Free Space?

http://www.cknow.com/cms/articles/why-cant-i-copy-a-large-file-despite-having-larger-free-space.html

This is only for non Windows 10 machines.

Diagnose and repair Windows File and Folder Problems automatically

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_file_and_folder_diag/

Linney, Dec 22, 2019
  3. hard disk space

Hello,

Taking into consideration that the free space is shrinking fast, it is possible that your system is creating restore points. To
    delete restore points except for the recent one, simply follow the steps below:

• From the Cortana search box, type Disk Cleanup and click on the first result.
    • Once the Disk Cleanup window appears, select the
      More Options
      tab.
    • Under the System Restore and Shadow Copies column, click on the
      Clean up... button.

Once done with the steps, see if your disk space has expanded.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Dec 22, 2019
  4. Large files which are taking up disk space

Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

Large files which are taking up disk space

1. Large files which are taking up disk space - Similar Threads - Large files are

2. Mysterious files taking up large space in drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mysterious files taking up large space in drive: Hi, I recently found out that one of my drives nearly ran out of storage. I was very surprised because I was very sure that I did not intentionally put many files in the drive. Windows11 tells me that there are 587GB of "Other" files first snapshot below, but when I clicked...
  3. Mysterious files taking up large space in drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mysterious files taking up large space in drive: Hi, I recently found out that one of my drives nearly ran out of storage. I was very surprised because I was very sure that I did not intentionally put many files in the drive. Windows11 tells me that there are 587GB of "Other" files first snapshot below, but when I clicked...
  4. "OTHER USERS" taking up Disk Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "OTHER USERS" taking up Disk Space: On my Win10 machine, I have a 300 GB partition that holds my OS and apps. 185 GB is being used by "OTHER USERS" which I dont understand since I AM the only user on my machine. I've seen other people posting on this problem. I did use SYSPREP to make the drive so I didn't lose...
  5. "Other Large Folders Taking Up Space In C Drive

"Other Large Folders Taking Up Space In C Drive: I noticed that I only had 8.8GB left on my C Drive. I use Other Drives to store all of my download and such but the occasional file gets into the C Drive which I delete. When I went into the settings to see what was taking up all of the space it says "Other" is taking up...
  6. DCFWinService taking up large cpu space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DCFWinService taking up large cpu space: DCFWinService was taking up around 30% of my CPU Intel Core i3 8130U and this started happening ever since I downloaded Windows 10 October 2020 20h2. I would try end the task but after a while it would just pop back up. I also tried upgrading to the newer build 19042.906...
  7. Large window disks space.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Large window disks space.: Does anyone know why is my windows folder takes up 44 GB? Even winSXS folder takes up 8.6 GB? I've already tried disk clean up, defragment, window update troubleshoot but nothing much change....
  8. "Users" folder taking up large amounts of disk space!

"Users" folder taking up large amounts of disk space!: I have a 512GB SSD and I went to delete some file as I have ~40GB left and realized that the "Users" folder was taking up over 300GB of disk space! I went through the folder and nothing using that much space showed up... How do I fix this? I really need space as I am a video...
  9. Multiple users taking up disk space

Multiple users taking up disk space: Hello, The company I am at uses shared laptops, after a few months, the storage space will fill up due to each individual user profile. I know how to clean it up and free up all the space. What I am asking, is there a policy or setting in Windows 10 that I as an admin can...
  10. Other people under storage take up large space

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Other people under storage take up large space: On the 20h1 builds in the fast lane, under settings-system-storage the "Other people" category takes up a large amount of disk space and increasing at a rapid rate. I have only one account (administrator) on this PC. You can turn all sync options off - nothing happens. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file size compared to disk space taken up