Windows 10: Large IMAP4 accounts bring Windows 10 Mail App to a standstill.

Discus and support Large IMAP4 accounts bring Windows 10 Mail App to a standstill. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello dear Community, I have a question for you if anyone else has observed this behavior. I installed Windows 10 (1903) and use the Windows 10 Mail... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Thomas Pollinger, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Large IMAP4 accounts bring Windows 10 Mail App to a standstill.

Hello dear Community,

I have a question for you if anyone else has observed this behavior.
    I installed Windows 10 (1903) and use the Windows 10 Mail App. Added three accounts:
    • Outlook.com
    • iCloud.com
    • Private IMAP4
    Two of the accounts (Outlook.com and private IMAP4) have very few emails in their mailboxes (less than 100 in total, across all folders).

The iCloud account, on the other hand, has several 10,000 mails distributed across many folders.

If I now activate the "Download email from any period" function for the account. Then the mail app Sync dies completely. You can no longer send mails, or the sending is not guaranteed and the sync is inconsistent.

However, if you set the function on the iCloud account to "Download email from last 3 months" or smaller. Then suddenly the sending of e-mail via this account works again. Also the sync is fast and the folders are consistent again (but only for the selected period). As far as I can tell at the moment.

I think it worked with Windows 10 (1809). But I'm not sure anymore.

Can it be that the Windows 10 Mail App with very large IMAP4 accounts has a real problem?

Many greetings
    Thomas

:)

Thomas Pollinger, Jun 19, 2019

2. Large IMAP4 accounts bring Windows 10 Mail App to a standstill.

Hello dear Community,

I have a question for you if anyone else has observed this behavior.
    I installed Windows 10 (1903) and use the Windows 10 Mail App. Added three accounts:
    • Outlook.com
    • iCloud.com
    • Private IMAP4
    Two of the accounts (Outlook.com and private IMAP4) have very few emails in their mailboxes (less than 100 in total, across all folders).

The iCloud account, on the other hand, has several 10,000 mails distributed across many folders.

If I now activate the "Download email from any period" function for the account. Then the mail app Sync dies completely. You can no longer send mails, or the sending is not guaranteed and the sync is inconsistent.

However, if you set the function on the iCloud account to "Download email from last 3 months" or smaller. Then suddenly the sending of e-mail via this account works again. Also the sync is fast and the folders are consistent again (but only for the selected
    period). As far as I can tell at the moment.

I think it worked with Windows 10 (1809). But I'm not sure anymore.

Can it be that the Windows 10 Mail App with very large IMAP4 accounts has a real problem?

Many greetings

Thomas

Thomas Pollinger, Jun 26, 2019
  3. Large IMAP4 accounts bring Windows 10 Mail App to a standstill.

Hi, Andre,

thanks for the quick feedback. The behavior is only within the Windows 10 Mail App. The same accounts e.g. under iOS Mail work fine. But also the access directly via WebApp works.

Also each further account, which is not so large, functions immediately and constantly.

A sync with the very large account takes, if it works, almost an hour.

I also tried Outlook 365 (trial version) and even there it worked the way I tested it.

I have two Windows 10 (1903) laptops. On both laptops it's the same behavior with the same accounts.

I can also try Thunderbird. However, I would like to use the Windows 10 Mail App, because it worked before the update (over 6 months).

What would be the next steps?

Many greetings

Thomas

Thomas Pollinger, Jun 26, 2019
  4. Large IMAP4 accounts bring Windows 10 Mail App to a standstill.

Large IMAP4 accounts bring Windows 10 Mail App to a standstill.

Hi Thomas

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

This might be a current limitation of the Mail app at this time handling large accounts.

Could you confirm if this happens in Mozilla Thunderbird?

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

I would also recommend you file a bug report; send me the short link so I can vote on it and bring it to the attention of the Windows engineers.

https://windows10.help/blogs/entry/54-how-to-su...

Information in the above link is sourced from a trusted Microsoft MVP blog.

Andre for Directly, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

Large IMAP4 accounts bring Windows 10 Mail App to a standstill.

1. Large IMAP4 accounts bring Windows 10 Mail App to a standstill. - Similar Threads - Large IMAP4 accounts

2. Bring back the Mail app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bring back the Mail app: So, this past week the 'New Outlook' replaced the Mail App forthwith. "What happens?", I hear you ask.The main application repeatedly crashes on all my systems, just like it did six months ago, when the preview first launched. When you click the Mail app shortcut, it also...
  3. Bring back the Mail app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bring back the Mail app: So, this past week the 'New Outlook' replaced the Mail App forthwith. "What happens?", I hear you ask.The main application repeatedly crashes on all my systems, just like it did six months ago, when the preview first launched. When you click the Mail app shortcut, it also...
  4. Emails With Large Attachment Stuck in Outbox Windows Mail App

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Emails With Large Attachment Stuck in Outbox Windows Mail App: A user is trying to send an email with attachment 11MB and the email is stuck sending in Outbox. And it won't send out any emails with or without attachment after we removed the that email from outbox until we delete/add account again.We tried resetting and reinstalling the...
  5. SBCglobal account in Windows 10 Mail app

SBCglobal account in Windows 10 Mail app: Iam getting a me4ssage that says “We couldn't access this account. SBCglobal. You might need to update your password or give the accountpermission to sync to this device.” How do I give the account permissionto sync to this device...
  6. mail search brings up icloud mail instead of windows 10 mail

in Cortana
    mail search brings up icloud mail instead of windows 10 mail: Entering "mail" into the search window bottom left corner windows 10 my GF's laptop brings up the icloud mail app which immediately asks to create an account. my GF and I do not use icloud mail and and want windows 10 mail to be found. we use icloud for its "find my...
  7. Deleting a mail account in Windows 10 Mail App

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Deleting a mail account in Windows 10 Mail App: I have installed several mail accounts in Windows 10 mail like IMAP, icloud and Google mails. Suddenly they were not able to syncronise and seemed to have stopped working. I wanted to delete all the accounts and reconfigure them again, however I were not able to delete the...
  8. mail app accounts

mail app accounts: I can't reestablish my gmail link in the mail app. 3 days ago my email accounts disappeared in the windows 10 mail app. I had a power outage, so that is probably the culprit. I have reset the mail app, but when I attempt to relink to my gmail account it fails. The message in...
  9. Microsoft is finally bringing stylus support to the Mail app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is finally bringing stylus support to the Mail app in Windows 10: Microsoft is today rolling out a new update for Windows 10’s Mail app for the Windows Insiders in the Fast Ring with major improvements. The update is bringing new inking capabilities that’ll let you write an email with a stylus. Microsoft appears to be A/B testing the...
  10. Rename Account in Windows 10 Mail app

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rename Account in Windows 10 Mail app: How to: Rename Account in Windows 10 Mail app How to Rename Account in Windows 10 Mail app The Mail and Calendar apps included with Windows 10 help you stay up to date on your email, manage your schedule and stay in touch with people you care about the most. Designed...