Windows 10: Large memory usage, but few processes running

Discus and support Large memory usage, but few processes running in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm running Win 10 with 4GB RAM. Windows gets updated automatically. In Task Manager, the Performance tab shows CPU usage of 7% but memory usage of 85%... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Summer203, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Summer203 Win User

Large memory usage, but few processes running

I'm running Win 10 with 4GB RAM. Windows gets updated automatically. In Task Manager, the Performance tab shows CPU usage of 7% but memory usage of 85% (3.3/3.9 GB). The only apps I have running are Outlook (desktop version), Task Manager and Windows Explorer, which collectively use about 107 MB. Of the background processes, the largest one is Bitdefender Security Service, using 147 MB. That's a total of 254 MB - far from the 3.3 GB shown in the Performance tab.

There are a lot of other processes running using up a few MB each, in many cases less than 1 MB, but I don't think they total 3 GB. What could be using up so much RAM and slowing down my computer to a crawl?

Thank you.

:)

Summer203, Jun 27, 2019
  2. GBCrosby Win User

System and compressed memory high disk usage during file copy

Thank you Amarjeet_Paul.

I spent many more hours than I had hoped this past week reading and trying others' suggestions from this community on how to reduce high RAM usage due to ntoskrnl.exe. The "System and compressed memory" process remained the top consumer of RAM, using 500-900MB,
    among all other processes running. I deemed it to be the likely culprit in making my computer use frustratingly sluggish. After completing your
    third step, steps 1. & 2. provided no improvement in my case, the "System and compressed memory" process RAM usage has plummeted from the top of the Task Manager Process list to the bottom, running at a remarkable 0.1MB! That's a whole lot less than
    1% of the targeted process' gluttony. You're hired! Ps. I'll be keeping an eye on the process' use as I get back to normal operations, and be back if it floats to high in the list. Or if the registry fix you suggested has compromised use in any way. Please
    explain in simple terms what the insertion of your registry modification is doing.

Thanks again.

Geoff

GBCrosby, Jun 27, 2019
  3. Process Memory Usage shown in Task Manager

Hi Sid,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with CPU usage by the processes on your device. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

These issues might occur due to applications or services running at the startup on the computer. Bad sectors on the hard drive or outdated and incompatible drivers might also cause such issues.

I suggest you to refer to the below post check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, I recommend you to try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Amarjeet Paul
    and check if it helps.

System and compressed memory high disk usage during file
    copy

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 27, 2019
  4. alphajoe Win User

Large amount of Paged Pool memory usage over time

I have been fighting with this for some time and I can't figure out what it is. Over time, my Paged Pool memory usage keeps climbing until eventually I have to reboot to clear it out. It is a tough problem to search for because most people seem to have a problem with non-paged pool memory and all of those problems get included in the search results.

I have 32GB of RAM and once the paged pool reaches around 18GB or so it starts to bog down and get sluggish. And when I say 18GB, I mean 18GB with nothing open. I have my typical tray stuff, which I have tried killing, but nothing releases the RAM. I have let it climb all the way to 32GB before, but then the computer becomes useless and took about a half hour or so to shut down.

When I run Rammap it shows that paged pool is huge, and in the process list there is a process called MemCompression that has an extremely large amount of RAM in use. Not the full size of the paged pool, but definitely really big.

There are several threads talking about using Poolmon to track down processes using lots of paged or non-paged pool memory, but the process on mine that is extremely large has a tag of Se, which is tough to search for in the strings because virtually every file has Se in it somewhere.

Right now I just rebooted again, so the usage is back to "normal" (if you consider 11GB memory in use normal for just having Chrome open) and my paged pool is around 2GB or so. It will increase again by this evening, so I will get some screen grabs of the Rammap and the process list. Any other screens I can grab that might help?

alphajoe, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Large memory usage, but few processes running - Similar Threads - Large memory usage

2. High memory usage not on processes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High memory usage not on processes.: My system is Windows 11 22H2Windows uses a lot of RAM and doesn't show up on the task bar.memory in this screenshot was said to be but the user is only using 2 gigsmeaning around 4 gigs are not used by me, which is quite weird and suspiciousI tried safe mode and the RAM said...
  3. High memory usage not on processes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High memory usage not on processes.: My system is Windows 11 22H2Windows uses a lot of RAM and doesn't show up on the task bar.memory in this screenshot was said to be but the user is only using 2 gigsmeaning around 4 gigs are not used by me, which is quite weird and suspiciousI tried safe mode and the RAM said...
  4. High memory usage without processes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High memory usage without processes: [ATTACH] Hello For a long time I observed Windows 10 is using too much memory. I am checking current processes and total count is not even close to current usage. I reinstalled my OS many times, have latest updates, latest BIOS, but still same issue persist for a long...
  5. My windows CPU and Memory usage for a few days.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My windows CPU and Memory usage for a few days.: My Windows CPU usage and Memory usage were pretty high for a few days. I cleared my ram, updated my Windows, cleared my temp, %temp% and prefetch folder, as always. But it's not solving and it is slowing my computer. Windows 10 Insider Preview Enterprise 20241 256 GB SDD...
  6. Extreme large memory usage by PrinterFilterPipeLineSvc.exe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extreme large memory usage by PrinterFilterPipeLineSvc.exe: Hi My son has a brand new HP laptop. When he opens a large pdf 340 pages Windows sometimes is getting into problems with the allocated memory and crashes. We find in the logbooks next event: [ATTACH] This shows that there was a problem with the virtual memory. Sorry in...
  7. windows 10 standby list large memory usage

windows 10 standby list large memory usage: The standby list grows from about 1Gb at system boot until after about an hour no more memory is available and the system crashes It has 8GB of RAM, the pagefile has minimum size of 4Gb, max 12Gb. The problem has existed for aout 5 weeks WIndows 10 Pro 1909 is installed,...
  8. The memory usage of the Task Manager and the "process explorer" is different.

The memory usage of the Task Manager and the "process explorer" is different.: The memory usage of the Task Manager and the "process explorer" is different. Please tell me which program is correct. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-memory-usage-of-the-task-manager-and-the/ad23bd55-73a5-4260-9f81-75168e1a9126
  9. High CPU and memory usage on few programs open.

High CPU and memory usage on few programs open.: I recently bought a surface laptop 2 on Christmas and ever since I got it, my laptop has been constantly freezing and have received a few BSoDs as well. I checked my task manager to see what was going on and noticed that the "system" process has an average of 10-13% of CPU...
  10. Large amount of Paged Pool memory usage over time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Large amount of Paged Pool memory usage over time: I have been fighting with this for some time and I can't figure out what it is. Over time, my Paged Pool memory usage keeps climbing until eventually I have to reboot to clear it out. It is a tough problem to search for because most people seem to have a problem with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitdefender pagedpool