Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself

Discus and support Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. I have been using external HDDs with computers for many years. I have 500GB, 1TB and 2TB ones (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Transcend etc) and all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by seymoria, Jun 3, 2018.

1. seymoria Win User

Hi all.

I have been using external HDDs with computers for many years. I have 500GB, 1TB and 2TB ones (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Transcend etc) and all work perfectly.

Recently, I purchased a 4TB drive (Transcend). This one has a strange problem. It worked fine for a couple of weeks when I started filling it with data and is now 90% full.

But now when I connect it, it automatically ejects itself and then re-connects. This happens with annoying frequency, almost every 5 minutes. Thus the drive is practically unusable.

I am using a brand new HP Envy Laptop with Windows 10. All my other drives work perfectly on it except the 4TB one. Moreover, this 4TB drive has been tested on other laptops and seems to work perfectly on other computers.

What could be the problem?? I am thinking about 4TB incompatibility with my HP laptop. But this seems a far fetched supposition. Thank you for help.

:)

seymoria, Jun 3, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Eject options inconsistent between USB stick and USB external drive - Windows 10

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Have you tried connecting different external drive?

• Do you face the same issue with different external drive?

As a work around , I suggest you to connect different external drive to your system and check whether will you get the option to Eject from File explorer or not.

And also try connecting same external drive to different system and check if the issue persist.

Reply with necessary information so that can assist you better.

Arun B J, Jun 4, 2018
  3. Ibrahim Abu Talib Win User
    USB Storage Devices auto ejects itself

Just recently, any storage devices that I connect through the USB ports will auto ejects itself after a period of time. usually after 2 hours. I've tried External hard disk, brand WD and Samsung and also, thumbrives. all will auto eject itself. However,
    If I connect the devices through a USB hub, it will not auto eject. Unfortunately, I cannot connect WD HD to the USB hub as the speed will become slow. So, the hub is not a good solution for my problem.

An additional note, the light on the devices still shine even though it had been auto ejected. and also, this just started to happen recently after I upgraded to windows 10. I'm not sure if it is the cause. thank you.

Ibrahim Abu Talib, Jun 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself - Similar Threads - Large Size External

2. Convert IDE enclosure to take a sata 3.5 HDD.

in Windows 10 Support
    Convert IDE enclosure to take a sata 3.5 HDD.: Hi, Not sure that this is the correct thread for this question ..... but here goes. I have a 3.5inch Sata HDD which I would like to use, and assumed that I would require a Sata type enclosure in order to use it. I have an empty IDE enclosure and have heard it can be...
  3. when I try to connect my notebook on my private network I need network credentials . I dont...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    when I try to connect my notebook on my private network I need network credentials . I dont...: when I try to connect my notebook on my private network I need network credentials . I dont know what they are. How can I log in on my notebook?...
  4. Surface 3 Pro keeps resetting network connection

Surface 3 Pro keeps resetting network connection: For the past 2-3 weeks, my Surface 3 Pro has been dropping my hotspot connection in favor of a hidden network that isn't mine and I don't want to use. Any ideas on how to keep this from happening? Thanks!...
  5. Automatic Connection To Wi-Fi

Automatic Connection To Wi-Fi: When my PC wakes up, the Wi-Fi connects automatically even though “Connect automatically when in range” is off. This happens even if the PC was disconnected from the Wi-Fi before it went into sleep mode. How can the automatic connection be stopped?...
  6. corrupt hdd

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    corrupt hdd: my computer has a corrupt boot sector and will not boot from a iso or anything else. It says there is not enought room on the hdd to move and correct the data so I have re-formated the drive and want to reinstall my software and windows 10 pro as it was before the...
  7. my local network of 3 computers will only connect with 2 computers of the connected devices

my local network of 3 computers will only connect with 2 computers of the connected devices: My local network of 3 computers will only connect with 2 computers. How do I correct this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/my-local-network-of-3-computers-will-only-connect/89d94055-2f65-4f77-99a2-f1769fa951fd
  8. Cumulative updates are being repeatedly being installed and the systemis restared.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cumulative updates are being repeatedly being installed and the systemis restared.: For the last month approx., each cumulative update is being installed each night apparently successfully. The system is being restarted every evening after the update is applied I am using windows 10, build 17134.112 I am showing the update history below. How do I stop...
  9. External drive when connected to pc and I change the Letter "A part may not work prperly"...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive when connected to pc and I change the Letter "A part may not work prperly"...: Hi, In Windows 10 computer when I connect external drive via USB 2 it assign a letter "E". When I want to change "E" to "H" it says "A part may not work properly" I wonder why? As some important back up is in external drive I did not proceed and asking question with...
  10. why wont my airpods connect to bluetooth

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    why wont my airpods connect to bluetooth: why wont my airpods connect to the bluetooth is it because they are apple and not microsoft please someone help i need them for school...