Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself

Discus and support Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; Hi all. I have been using external HDDs with computers for many years. I have 500GB, 1TB and 2TB ones (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Transcend etc) and all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by seymoria, Jun 3, 2018.

1. seymoria Win User

Hi all.

I have been using external HDDs with computers for many years. I have 500GB, 1TB and 2TB ones (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Transcend etc) and all work perfectly.

Recently, I purchased a 4TB drive (Transcend). This one has a strange problem. It worked fine for a couple of weeks when I started filling it with data and is now 90% full.

But now when I connect it, it automatically ejects itself and then re-connects. This happens with annoying frequency, almost every 5 minutes. Thus the drive is practically unusable.

I am using a brand new HP Envy Laptop with Windows 10. All my other drives work perfectly on it except the 4TB one. Moreover, this 4TB drive has been tested on other laptops and seems to work perfectly on other computers.

What could be the problem?? I am thinking about 4TB incompatibility with my HP laptop. But this seems a far fetched supposition. Thank you for help.

:)

seymoria, Jun 3, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Eject options inconsistent between USB stick and USB external drive - Windows 10

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Have you tried connecting different external drive?

• Do you face the same issue with different external drive?

As a work around , I suggest you to connect different external drive to your system and check whether will you get the option to Eject from File explorer or not.

And also try connecting same external drive to different system and check if the issue persist.

Reply with necessary information so that can assist you better.

Arun B J, Jun 4, 2018
  3. Ibrahim Abu Talib Win User
    USB Storage Devices auto ejects itself

Just recently, any storage devices that I connect through the USB ports will auto ejects itself after a period of time. usually after 2 hours. I've tried External hard disk, brand WD and Samsung and also, thumbrives. all will auto eject itself. However,
    If I connect the devices through a USB hub, it will not auto eject. Unfortunately, I cannot connect WD HD to the USB hub as the speed will become slow. So, the hub is not a good solution for my problem.

An additional note, the light on the devices still shine even though it had been auto ejected. and also, this just started to happen recently after I upgraded to windows 10. I'm not sure if it is the cause. thank you.

Ibrahim Abu Talib, Jun 4, 2018
Thema:

Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself - Similar Threads - Large Size External

1. Large Size External HDD repeatedly reconnects by itself

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Large Size External HDD repeatedly reconnects by itself: Hi all. I have been using external HDDs with computers for many years. I have 500GB, 1TB and 2TB ones (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Transcend etc) and all work perfectly. Recently, I purchased a 4TB drive (Transcend). This one has a strange problem. It worked fine for a couple of...
  2. PC hangs/freezes while splitting a large video

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC hangs/freezes while splitting a large video: I am trying to split a large MPEG2 video (around 14 GB) and computer hangs within few minute. I checked that processor starts getting very hot. PC is AMD and Windows 10. Is it a PC issue or Windows 10 issue. Earlier I had Win 7 but never got chance to split a Big Video on...
  3. Ubuntu Large Taskbar Button Icon Broken on Windows 10 update 1803

in Windows 10 Support
    Ubuntu Large Taskbar Button Icon Broken on Windows 10 update 1803: To All, This morning, when I booted my PC, the Ubuntu large taskbar button icon became broken. I am running Windows 10 update 1803. Instead of showing the former nice orange and white icon, it shows an ugly looking, corrupted icon. When I turn on "Use small taskbar buttons"...
  4. System Tray Icons Showing Small Even When Taskbar Set To Large

in Windows 10 Support
    System Tray Icons Showing Small Even When Taskbar Set To Large: In Windows 10, I have my taskbar set to large. My taskbar shortcuts show up correctly, but my system tray icons show up small. [img] I have already tried rebooting, moving my taskbar to the left side and back to the bottom and rebuilding my icon cache. None have worked....
  5. Default View 'Large icons'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default View 'Large icons': W10, Office 2016. Although I close my docs and folders in 'Large icons', they often open in List view, which I never want; I almost always want Large icon view. I have been down the recommended File Explorer/any folder////apply to folders etc. route, but this hasn't changed...
  6. Taskbar buttons using small and large size at same time.

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar buttons using small and large size at same time.: Welp, I can't seem to fix this one out of nowhere my taskbar icons are as show in the picture are using the small setting for most and the correct big setting for like two now. Swapping the setting does nothing besides making them all small as intended then going back it...
  7. No Size Difference between Large and Extra Large Thumbnails

in Windows 10 Support
    No Size Difference between Large and Extra Large Thumbnails: I used to be able to Control scroll with the mouse wheel to expand the thumbnail (icon) size to "Extra Large Icons". Now large and extra large produces the same size thumbnail, but with extra large there is more space between each. How can fix this so the thumbnail actually...