Windows 10: Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself

Discus and support Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. I have been using external HDDs with computers for many years. I have 500GB, 1TB and 2TB ones (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Transcend etc) and all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by seymoria, Jun 3, 2018.

1. seymoria Win User

Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself

Hi all.

I have been using external HDDs with computers for many years. I have 500GB, 1TB and 2TB ones (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Transcend etc) and all work perfectly.

Recently, I purchased a 4TB drive (Transcend). This one has a strange problem. It worked fine for a couple of weeks when I started filling it with data and is now 90% full.

But now when I connect it, it automatically ejects itself and then re-connects. This happens with annoying frequency, almost every 5 minutes. Thus the drive is practically unusable.

I am using a brand new HP Envy Laptop with Windows 10. All my other drives work perfectly on it except the 4TB one. Moreover, this 4TB drive has been tested on other laptops and seems to work perfectly on other computers.

What could be the problem?? I am thinking about 4TB incompatibility with my HP laptop. But this seems a far fetched supposition. Thank you for help.

:)

seymoria, Jun 3, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Eject options inconsistent between USB stick and USB external drive - Windows 10

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Have you tried connecting different external drive?

• Do you face the same issue with different external drive?

As a work around , I suggest you to connect different external drive to your system and check whether will you get the option to Eject from File explorer or not.

And also try connecting same external drive to different system and check if the issue persist.

Reply with necessary information so that can assist you better.

Arun B J, Jun 4, 2018
  3. USB Storage Devices auto ejects itself

Just recently, any storage devices that I connect through the USB ports will auto ejects itself after a period of time. usually after 2 hours. I've tried External hard disk, brand WD and Samsung and also, thumbrives. all will auto eject itself. However,
    If I connect the devices through a USB hub, it will not auto eject. Unfortunately, I cannot connect WD HD to the USB hub as the speed will become slow. So, the hub is not a good solution for my problem.

An additional note, the light on the devices still shine even though it had been auto ejected. and also, this just started to happen recently after I upgraded to windows 10. I'm not sure if it is the cause. thank you.

Ibrahim Abu Talib, Jun 4, 2018
Thema:

Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself

1. Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself - Similar Threads - Large Size External

2. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't safely eject an external HDD: I used an external HDD to download a game Forza Horizon 5 and now I can't safely eject it I get the "Device in use prompt". Before whenever I turned off the laptop or ejected the HDD the power light turned off but now even when I shut down the laptop the power light stays on....
  3. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't safely eject an external HDD: I used an external HDD to download a game Forza Horizon 5 and now I can't safely eject it I get the "Device in use prompt". Before whenever I turned off the laptop or ejected the HDD the power light turned off but now even when I shut down the laptop the power light stays on....
  4. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. No eject for Seagate external HDD

No eject for Seagate external HDD: There is no eject in the right click menu of my Seagate Expansion. As it's a USB HDD should it not have eject in the right click menu? I have no way to eject this drive. Safely remove hardware from the Task bar always gives me "this device is currently in use". The Seagate...
  6. No eject for Seagate external HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No eject for Seagate external HDD: There is no eject in the right click menu of my Seagate Expansion. As it's a USB HDD should it not have eject in the right click menu? I have no way to eject this drive. Safely remove hardware from the Task bar always gives me "this device is currently in use". The Seagate...
  7. Unable to "safely eject" external HDD

Unable to "safely eject" external HDD: I've been experiencing this for a while now. Whenever i try to safely remove my Seagate External hard drive, an error pops up which says its being used by some programs when i am not actually using it. I tried to find out what was causing the problem and i found two warnings...
  8. Problem ejecting external HDD

Problem ejecting external HDD: Hello MS Community, I had a brand new Toshiba 500gb HDD that I put in a case I bought online to use as an external HDD. When I shutdown all files/programs related to said HDD and try to eject I get error message saying the "device is currently in use" even though...
  9. External USB connected HDD will not Eject due to being in use

External USB connected HDD will not Eject due to being in use: Having recently found this to be an issue I looked for an answer. All the answers I found involved assuming that there was an underlying issue with Windows or drivers. I had noticed that at times the device could be ejected and therefore was unlikely to be related to the...
  10. Large Size External HDD repeatedly reconnects by itself

Large Size External HDD repeatedly reconnects by itself: Hi all. I have been using external HDDs with computers for many years. I have 500GB, 1TB and 2TB ones (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Transcend etc) and all work perfectly. Recently, I purchased a 4TB drive (Transcend). This one has a strange problem. It worked fine for a couple of...