Windows 10: large slowdown on fresh install

Discus and support large slowdown on fresh install in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I took a gaming pc off a family member as they got a new one, everything worked fine on it however I did a fresh copy of windows 10 just to have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by silverz, Jun 30, 2020.

1. silverz Win User

large slowdown on fresh install

I took a gaming pc off a family member as they got a new one, everything worked fine on it however I did a fresh copy of windows 10 just to have a clean machine. Installation went trouble free from a usb stick however the completely fresh copy of windows (full format of hard drive, no repair/quick format etc) is extremely slow and giving various errors trying to install basic things such as nvidia drivers, steam etc.
    I've personally reinstalled this same machine several times in the past and had no issues.

To give examples - and I've literally done nothing but set up a login to windows and rebooted - after logging in clicking to view folders in file explorer it's a good 1 minute wait for the window to open, right clicking takes around 20 seconds to bring up the right click menu, installation of the nvidia drivers throws up errors and won't pass the installation stage and the start menu won't open at all.
    Everything is installed to an old but working ssd, it;s not the most modern device (i3 3220, 8 gig ram, gtx 960, win 10 pro) but before the fresh windows install everything was snappy and responsive. Now even clicking menu items is a 20 second wait.

Other than just trying again with another install, is there anything obvious that's causing this?

:)

silverz, Jun 30, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

Windows 10 slowdown

Hi Aman,

There are some factors that may cause the computer to slowdown, corrupt Windows system files, is one of the factor that can slow down the computer and cause other problems.

To isolate the issue, we would like to ask some information:

• Did you get any error messages?
    • Have you done any changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We will wait for your response.

Remon Ont, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Fresh USB Windows 10 Install - Failing

I am trying to install a fresh copy (reformatted the hard disk) of windows 10 using a USB

• Created an installation media on a USB flash drive (Win 10 pro) from this page Download Windows 10
    • Changed the boot order on the other PC so that it boots using USB
    • Selected custom install
    • Installing Windows goes through the following steps successfully: Copying Windows Files, Getting Files ready for installation, Installing features, Installing updates and before the last step (Finishing up), it restarts
    • Then it goes back to the start of the installation steps

I am stuck and have read numerous posts but don't know what to do to install a fresh copy of Win 10.

deepakkaushik, Jun 30, 2020
  4. large slowdown on fresh install

W10 slowdown

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to Run Maintenance Task.

The Run maintenance task checks issues that might slow down your computers, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.

Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows + X on the keyboard.
    • Select Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Run maintenance task under System and Security.

Step 2:
    Run Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.

Please follow the steps.

• Press Windows Key + R, type Control Panel.
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search bar, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound, click on Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the steps from the wizard to run the Troubleshooter.

If the issue still persist I suggest you to Update the Windows 10 Drivers and check if it help.

Please refer to the below article “How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10”by Mr. Andre Da Costa to update the drivers:

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

large slowdown on fresh install

1. large slowdown on fresh install - Similar Threads - large slowdown fresh

2. pc slowdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    pc slowdown: How should I go on discoverimg what are the cause of the slowdown of my pc. Such as double clicking shortcuts or opening page. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-slowdown/5d244e12-e2e8-4218-bb49-eaa32bd59c75
  3. pc slowdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc slowdown: How should I go on discoverimg what are the cause of the slowdown of my pc. Such as double clicking shortcuts or opening page. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-slowdown/5d244e12-e2e8-4218-bb49-eaa32bd59c75
  4. pc slowdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Slowdown laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slowdown laptop: Hello.I have a Z510 Lenovo laptop with Windows 10. Many times, after a short time of working with a laptop, its speed slows down drastically. After this slowdown, when I restart or turn off the laptop, I face another issue. The problem is that it takes a long time to shut...
  6. Slowdown laptop

Slowdown laptop: Hello.I have a Z510 Lenovo laptop with Windows 10. Many times, after a short time of working with a laptop, its speed slows down drastically. After this slowdown, when I restart or turn off the laptop, I face another issue. The problem is that it takes a long time to shut...
  7. PC slowdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC slowdown: How should I go about detecting and correcting the causes of a slowdown in a PC's response to things like double-clicks on a desktop shortcut https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-slowdown/d4d8d854-3b2b-474a-98b0-31b10b0e03ca
  8. PC slowdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC slowdown: How should I go about detecting and correcting the causes of a slowdown in a PC's response to things like double-clicks on a desktop shortcut https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-slowdown/d4d8d854-3b2b-474a-98b0-31b10b0e03ca
  9. PC slowdown

10. Windows Slowdown

Windows Slowdown: When I go to shutdown at night my PC sometimes runs very slowly and I notice that the "action" light on my PC indicates that some process is going on. In order to shut down I then press the switch on my PC and it restarts. I then go through the shut down process in the normal...