Windows 10: Last few Windows Updates have knocked out many essential services - Why does this keep...

Discus and support Last few Windows Updates have knocked out many essential services - Why does this keep... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, the last two or three Windows Updates that have been forced on me (Windows 10 Home does not allow you to postpone updates) have stopped... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iammetalslugger, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Last few Windows Updates have knocked out many essential services - Why does this keep...

Hello, the last two or three Windows Updates that have been forced on me (Windows 10 Home does not allow you to postpone updates) have stopped essential services from running, requiring my time to spend troubleshooting to get my laptop working again to normal condition.

This morning 10th July 2019, what appeared to be a fairly small update stopped three services from running: Task Scheduler, Windows Firewall and WiFi service. I have had to start these services manually as further manual reboots after the update had no effect. This begs the question what other services have been stopped that I have not noticed yet?

This has been very annoying and if I was someone who did not have a fair level of IT knowledge (I have worked in IT support) it would a much bigger problem as I would have no idea what was going on....in the case of task scheduler for instance, when that was stopped, it stopped my keyboard from working in the start menu and other areas of Windows, though luckily not in 3rd part apps like Chrome etc.

I am very tempted to upgrade to upgrade to Windows Pro so I can disable updates. Is Microsoft aware of this and why does it keep happening?

:)

iammetalslugger, Jul 10, 2019
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jul 10, 2019
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jul 10, 2019
  4. Last few Windows Updates have knocked out many essential services - Why does this keep...

Securing Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 services HOW TO

I will try changing their settings sometime, the one thing I've noticed about this guide is that it doesn't list the Windows services that NEED to be left as local system, so some people might not be too sure what they're doing and worry about any that aren't listed. Just a suggestion that you might want to include in any future revisions. *Smile Last few Windows Updates have knocked out many essential services - Why does this keep... :)

The non-default ones I have that you have not listed are:

.Net Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727_X86
    Ati HotKey Poller
    ATI Smart
    AVG E-mail Scanner
    AVG7 Alert Manager Server
    AVG7 Update Service
    BlueSoleil Hid Service
    Bluetooth Support Service
    ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard
    iPod Service
    Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader Service
    Service Layer
    Windows Defender Service

The problem is that the only ones of these I actually use are The AVG and Windows Defender services and occasionally the "Service Layer" service (related to Nokia PC Suite) and the "Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader Service" (related to WindowsLive Messenger). Anyway, I'll see how much I can secure those and post back how I get on. I'll try to test it sometime this week just I'm a bit waring of changing the AVG settings because the only way to test if it was still working would be for a virus to be detected... and I' rather I didn't get viruses!

Jimmy 2004, Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

Last few Windows Updates have knocked out many essential services - Why does this keep...

1. Last few Windows Updates have knocked out many essential services - Why does this keep... - Similar Threads - Last few Updates

2. windows update 10/12/2020 knocked out second monitor.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows update 10/12/2020 knocked out second monitor.: I have reinstalled graphics card, uninstalled the windows update, restarted multiple times, switched off and on both monitor and pc, tested the hdmi cable, nothing works. How can I get my monitor back?...
  3. Why did the update knock out my speakers?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why did the update knock out my speakers?: I don't know why Microsoft employees can't roll out an update without messing up some part of my computer. I postpone updates for as long as I can because I know you guys will botch it and cause me hours of work. Now your update knocked out my speakers even though my...
  4. Once again the latest Microsoft Updates have knocked out my audio

Once again the latest Microsoft Updates have knocked out my audio: This is the 2nd time in the last few months that after installing updates from Microsoft I get the message, "No Audio Output Device is Installed." So frustrating. Why can't Microsoft put out an update without screwing something up. No need to respond. They can't....
  5. Last windows update a few days ago

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Last windows update a few days ago: Since the windows 10 update a few days ago, a lot of my Microsoft products do not seem to be working properly. It seems odd to me that they release these updates before they see how they react with programs etc that they manage. Like Microsoft Solitaire. It keeps turning...
  6. windows 10 knocked out multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 knocked out multiple monitors: upgraded from win 7 pro to win 10 pro today. Lost multiple monitors, plus i keep getting a message that nvidia control panel can not be found. I keep getting a message that says that windows can't connect to the graphics driver and has re-verted back to the windows built in...
  7. W10 update knocks out epson printer

W10 update knocks out epson printer: I have just installed the latest W10 update (version 1803) and can no longer print. I have an Epson EPL-6100 laser which is now 15 years old or so but this morning it was still working OK; now it is not. The Bonjour wizard does not help and Windows does not even detect it....
  8. Last nights Win10 update message "Hi", and knock on effect on Google

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Last nights Win10 update message "Hi", and knock on effect on Google: Woke up computer to this message.... "Hi" *Huh "We've updated your PC." *Confused "All your files are exactly where you left them." *Shock "We've got some new features to get excited about. Let's start." Okay at the halfway point I got really worried, was...
  9. Cyber attack Knocks Out Access to Websites

in Windows 10 News
    Cyber attack Knocks Out Access to Websites: Cyber attack Knocks Out Access to Websites So-called denial-of-service attacks can knock sites offline by flooding them with junk data, blocking the way for legitimate users Several websites including Twitter and Tumblr were unreachable during an extended period for many...
  10. Windows update knocks out internet connections

in Windows 10 News
    Windows update knocks out internet connections: [img] Windows update knocks out internet connections - BBC News 72365