Windows 10: Last Time I Tried to Restore from a Windows-Created System Image It Refused to Restore

Discus and support Last Time I Tried to Restore from a Windows-Created System Image It Refused to Restore in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Somebody else built a system with specialized software installed on it. It sends radio broadcasts to a radio transmitter on a fixed schedule.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Degreed Professional, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Last Time I Tried to Restore from a Windows-Created System Image It Refused to Restore

Somebody else built a system with specialized software installed on it. It sends radio broadcasts to a radio transmitter on a fixed schedule. Something got corrupted and I needed to put the system on a firm foundation that the system image represented. In Microsoft's tradition of meaningless error messages I went into an infinite loop trying this and that and eventually gave up. Microsoft would not know a diagnostic message if they fell over one. My favorite latest error message from Microsoft: "Something went wrong. Try again later." My question: When will Microsoft produce the ability to create and restore system images? We could take bets. I found 3rd party software that does the job. Their documentation is terrible. But the software works correctly. The primary concern billion dollar enterprises like Microsoft seem to have is that end users will commit software theft with system images.

:)

Degreed Professional, Aug 15, 2019
  2. trog100 Win User

Back up restore mystery..

i have used s system image restore several times over the past months.. its always worked without problems..

a couple of days ago i f-cked up my win 10 install using CCleaner to get rid of some "windows old" remnants.. just being tidy.. he he..

the machined refused to boot afterwards.. i thought no problem and fished out my repair disk.. when tried to run it i got the message below.. anyway a full win 10 custom install got the bloody thing going again..

today i ran a full system disk image back up.. EFI partition and the complete C drive.. pretty much like i always do..

just to make sure i tried restoring from it.. bugger me i got the same nonsense message.. its the same f-cking computer running a disk image restore done 10 minutes earlier.. he he

lucky i dont need it but at least i now know my back up method dosnt work any more.. as far as i can see everything looks as it should..

i am just running another disk image back just to make sure it aint a fluke..

"The system image restore has failed

Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware.

The system image was created on computer using EFI and this computer is using bios.."

trog

ps.. i just created another system image back up on a freshly formatted usb drive.. i got the same message when tried to restore from it..

i now admit to being completely f-cking baffled.. he he..

trog100, Aug 15, 2019
  3. Windows XP PRO error after restore

System restore is handy when it works like it did for me 2 days ago saving the need to reinstall all of my software as well as windows, id suggest using norton Ghost 12 for an excellent system restore feature.

jocksteeluk, Aug 15, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Last Time I Tried to Restore from a Windows-Created System Image It Refused to Restore

restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To be able to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the following details:

• Are you trying to restore the system image or create a system image?
    • Are you able to see the external drive in File Explorer?
    • Could you please briefly explain the procedure that you are following to initiate a system image restore?

In the meantime, I suggest you to refer the articles on
    How to: Create a system image in Windows 10
    and

How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device
    created by Andre Da Costa.

Please reply with the detailed information, to help you in a better way.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 15, 2019
Thema:

Last Time I Tried to Restore from a Windows-Created System Image It Refused to Restore

1. Last Time I Tried to Restore from a Windows-Created System Image It Refused to Restore - Similar Threads - Last Tried Restore

2. Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?: Hi guys, Bear with me on this little odyssey. It's a bit of a ramble, and more just me moaning than asking an actual question, but if anyone can help me figure out where I was going wrong I can sleep a bit easier. I was working on a project to deploy a custom Windows image...
  3. System Restore from Image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore from Image: After a recent MS update, my system crashed completely, so I did a clean install and am trying to restore from an image. Windows finds the image and goes through a -very- long process after which it says the restore was successful, but when it reboots, it is back to the...
  4. Restoring from system image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring from system image: Hi there, My hard disk(1Tb capacity) recently died and nothing was recoverable. It was replaced by a SSD (500 Gb) capacity. There was about 800Gb available on the old drive so space wasn't a problem. The old drive had a C: and D: partition. I supplied the technicians with...
  5. Restoring from system image

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring from system image: Hi there, My hard disk(1Tb capacity) recently died and nothing was recoverable. It was replaced by a SSD (500 Gb) capacity. There was about 800Gb available on the old drive so space wasn't a problem. The old drive had a C: and D: partition. I supplied the technicians with...
  6. System Restore will not create a restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore will not create a restore point: This has been a recurring problem on my HP Pavilion with Windows 10 64bit. I cannot create a System Restore point and System Protection will not turn on. It just keep searching for drives. The error code given is 0x81000203. I have also tried installing Macrium Reflect as a...
  7. Trying to restore from an external image.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Trying to restore from an external image.: so i just got a new bigger nvme for my razer 15 inch and i made an image of the old drive, but when i use my windows install media on a usb to restore, it says i have to make a windows indtalation disc or system repair disk and then boot from it, but i already have. This...
  8. System Image not Restoring.

System Image not Restoring.: Hi guys, so i reset my Toshiba laptop to its original factory settings and it came with windows 10 home. Then i had to clean install the windows on my laptop again because i was having some trouble with the touchpad drivers, so i wiped C. drive fully and installed window 10...
  9. Restore System Image

Restore System Image: I familiar with restoring a back up image from an external USB HD. My question is, what is the correct procedure for restoring a system image from an incremental or differential back up image. Would I restore the first saved image and then the last incremental or differential...
  10. Can't Restore from System Image

Can't Restore from System Image: I created a system image on a Seagate external hard drive using Windows 10 Home, and I created a restore disc for booting with an external BUFFALO DVD drive connected to a USB port. I went into the UEFI and set my BUFFALO drive as the first drive to be used for booting at...