Windows 10: Last two builds to 14942 - Start Button/Menu freezing/non-responsive

Discus and support Last two builds to 14942 - Start Button/Menu freezing/non-responsive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For the last two builds through 14942 (I'm on the fast ring), I've been having problems where the start button/start menu would freeze or become... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LarryinNJ, Oct 11, 2016.

1. LarryinNJ Win User

Last two builds to 14942 - Start Button/Menu freezing/non-responsive

For the last two builds through 14942 (I'm on the fast ring), I've been having problems where the start button/start menu would freeze or become non-responsive. I've run virus/malware scans (with paid ESET and Malwarebytes) with no threats shown. I will click the start button and either nothing will happen, or the background will come up blank for 30 or so seconds until the buttons/tiles fill in. I then click on the tiles and nothing happens, or the programs open 30-60 seconds later.Odd problem - haven't seen anything like this ever.

:)

LarryinNJ, Oct 11, 2016

2. Windows 10 - Start button freezes

after last update I cant open start menu at all

JeffreyRoman, Oct 11, 2016
  3. taskbar and start button non responsive

Okay I have read through several post on this matter and still have no solution to my problem. I have a clean install (windows 7 x64 OEM) and upgrade to Windows 10 fully updated. Prior to installing any other programs on the system the issue of the taskbar
    and start buttons becoming none responsive accord and it requires a reboot to get them to start working again. Only programs run on the computer were Microsoft edge and the Xbox app. I have turned off Cortana as reading forums someone said this was where
    the problem was but still have the issue. Does anyone know what needs to be done or if Microsoft has put out a fix for this problem? Everything points to this being a problem with Windows 10 programing. I have researched all know hardware/ drivers issues
    with Windows 10 and have no solution to this problem. After turning off Cortana the problem did seem to happen less often however since the most recent windows update it is happening more and more often.

Mannyholbrook, Oct 11, 2016
Thema:

Last two builds to 14942 - Start Button/Menu freezing/non-responsive

1. Last two builds to 14942 - Start Button/Menu freezing/non-responsive - Similar Threads - Last builds 14942

2. Blank icons + non-responsiveness after start-up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blank icons + non-responsiveness after start-up: In relation to another post, I had a similar problem. I then cleaned up my desktop and removed several icons linking to programs that I no longer need on my desktop now that the start menu provides that function. Voila! The freezes with blank icons stopped happening. I...
  3. Slow or non responsive computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow or non responsive computer: Click on a link and nothing happens. App like Scatter hold up poker doesn't boot, or very slowly boots. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-or-non-responsive-computer/a61738d5-2bac-4f66-b097-8a079a42e49d
  4. Start Menu Freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu Freeze: I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro. No incompatibilities were reported during that process and W10 worked fine on my primary user account. Several days after the install, I went to set up my wife's infrequently used second user. I got there...
  5. Start menu button size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu button size: How do I change the size of the menu buttons in the start menu? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-button-size/9aea2aec-bd37-4def-845b-0b01d1631434
  6. New SSD - partition query and non-response/freezing problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New SSD - partition query and non-response/freezing problems: Hello there. I'm new and not a computer expert. I recently upgraded my Lenovo laptop (B50-80) by adding more memory 4GB to 16GB, and a new SSD (old was 128GB - new is 525GB from Crucial) - so that I can run some music programmes more efficiently. The memory installation...
  7. "Hey Cortana" non responsive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Hey Cortana" non responsive: Hi, I have set up Cortana and she is working well except for the "Hey Cortana". When I say it nothing happens. isn't she supposed to wake up and activate? When I first installed Windows 10 this function worked, albeit not 100% successful. But now it doesn't work at all. All...
  8. Start menu button not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu button not working: Hello guys , i am runing windows 10 PRO x64, from time to time , i can't find a pattern , the start menu button decides not to work at all, i click it , nothing happens , i hit windows key on my keyboard , nothing happens. The solution is windows explorer process restart. Can...
  9. Random Freezing (non-responsive) that requires PSU switch reset

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Random Freezing (non-responsive) that requires PSU switch reset: I have been troubleshooting this problem for months and I cannot figure out what's going on. Problem: The computer randomly freezes and becomes unresponsive. It also makes or horrific sound (like loud glitching static). Every time this happens, I have to flip the...
  10. Start Menu Not Responsive to Changes

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Not Responsive to Changes: Last night, I upgraded my Windows 8.1 laptop to Windows 10. Since upgrading, the start menu is not functioning properly. While attempting to customize the menu by rearranging tiles and unpinning unwanted tiles, I realized that when I right click and unpin a tile, the tile...