Windows 10: Latest processors denied Win 7/8.1 updates

Discus and support Latest processors denied Win 7/8.1 updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Ok, it's not Win 10, but the argument is that this could be a move to promote Win 10 uptake. someone at Microsoft decided to deny Windows 7/8.1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by dalchina, Apr 13, 2017.

1. dalchina New Member

Latest processors denied Win 7/8.1 updates

Ok, it's not Win 10, but the argument is that this could be a move to promote Win 10 uptake.

New Processors Are Now Blocked From Receiving Updates On Old Windows - Slashdot
    Microsoft Locks Ryzen, Kaby Lake Users Out of Updates On Windows 7, 8.1 - Slashdot

:)

dalchina, Apr 13, 2017

2. All folders/files report Access Denied after upgrading to Windows 10

Upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10, but no folder/files restored from Win 8.1

Used Microsoft tool to automatically re-store Win 8.1 files/folders to Win 10.

All folders/files report Access Denied. CMD Prompt -Adminstator inaccessible as is root drive C:\

Help!

TIA

Original Title: Access Denied

stuart18020, Apr 13, 2017
  3. G70115 Win User
    Window 10 download version Question

Thank You.

One of my question was "I believe the first version I download required I have the correct version of Win 7 to download, and I do. Recently, I read that Microsoft has a new method of checking if I am legal to download my using my Win 7 or win 8.1 product
    ID."

I read the procedure by Andre Da Costa and his article said I must have Win 7 or Win 8.1 installed before I can update or run ISO disk? I thought that there was a new version of the Win 10 that will allow you to enter the Product Key of my Win 7 pro or
    Win 8.1 to install from the ISO??? Is this Correct or Not???

You also ask what version of Win I have. I have two systems: 1) Win 7 Pro and the 2) Win 8.1 (I think this is Home).

The 2nd question of getting the latest Update?? My downloading the update or ISO (like today), this should be the latest version??? Is this correct???

How do I check the version of the update that I have download without installing???

Thank You !!!!

G

G70115, Apr 13, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

Same scare like when Skylake was being released, I bet it will be fixed one way or another. Methinks it's to discourage owners of new computers to revert to W7. MS is trying to eradicate W7 altogether so they don't have to support it any more 'cause it costs them money. On the other hand most W10 detractors and W7 lowers oppose mandatory/forced updates so they will probably not miss these ones.
    Although I relegated my W7 to a "spare" OS and for some games, I haven't updated it in years, actually since time I started using W8.1 full time. Still nothing wrong with it.

CountMike, Apr 13, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    When did Microsoft promise to support new hardware that was released years after Windows 7 was anyway?

NavyLCDR, Apr 13, 2017
  7. CountMike New Member
    No they did not but still W7 would work, it's only damn updates MS chose not to supply. Not really end of world as we know it.

CountMike, Apr 13, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

In particular Defender AV definitions which is a legitimate complaint. Potentially I suppose.

I think most people who complain about this just don't like MS or just like to moan.

I've not seen a complaint from someone who actually has bought a new Kaby Lake system (or Ryzen I guess) and truly wants to run W7 and thus has a problem.

Just moaning for the sake of it I reckon.

9. CountMike New Member
    Must be like that because W7 doesn't contain everything to make full use of new processor they payed dearly for, I know I wouldn't and will not intentionally downgrade my new system by using obsolete OS. Wonder what Linux will look like on it.

CountMike, Apr 13, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    I'd put 10 on it myself over Linux as I like to use MS Word/Excel and sometimes play games. Neither are ideal on Linux.

Did you get a Ryzen? You were talking about it a while ago but it was too expensive in your country at the time IIRC...

11. CountMike New Member
    MB and R5 1600x are on order, maybe in 10 days time. If I get MB first and 1600x is delayed, I'll grab 1600 (no x) because they are available now. In mean time I'm looking for RAM, there's still confusion which one works best with Ryzen.

CountMike, Apr 13, 2017
  12. lx07 Win User
    Best not install 7 on it then *Wink

I believe (although I wasn't really paying attention) that the non-X OC just as well as the X ones (if that is your thing).

13. CountMike New Member

Certainly will not, one SSD with W7 on it will be staying with this system which will go in another case. I'll most probably will have to do clean install of W10 on new system although it's pretty fresh by my standards, since 15002. Before that it lasted since W7 Sp1 > W 8 > W8.1 and all Insider versions.

CountMike, Apr 13, 2017
  14. lx07 Win User
    I'm quite jealous. I'm a bit too much like Geoge Best when it comes to money to have any to squander on a new CPU at the moment alas.

A quote *Smile

15. CountMike New Member
    This one is older than some kids playing on it so I guess next generation is in order. I never bought whole system, always just upgrading bit by bit. There's nothing more I can do for this one as generation changed. Once I make that hop I can start upgrading again. I think there's at least few screws left on this one from my first 386.

CountMike, Apr 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Latest processors denied Win 7/8.1 updates - Similar Threads - Latest processors denied

2. Update from Win 8 to Win 8.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update from Win 8 to Win 8.1: I have downloaded Win 8.1 and in an attempt to install it on my system currently running on Win 8, it's taking more than 8 hours and it's still stuck at 0% complete.Therefore something is not right.I have a strong internet connection.Please someone help!...
  3. Update from Win 8 to Win 8.1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update from Win 8 to Win 8.1: I have downloaded Win 8.1 and in an attempt to install it on my system currently running on Win 8, it's taking more than 8 hours and it's still stuck at 0% complete.Therefore something is not right.I have a strong internet connection.Please someone help!...
  4. Update from Win 8 to Win 8.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update from Win 8 to Win 8.1: I have downloaded Win 8.1 from Microsoft site and on unzipping to install and upgrade my Win 8, it's taking like forever for the installation to progress past 0% complete.Please what do I do?...
  5. Update from Win 8 to Win 8.1

Update from Win 8 to Win 8.1: I have downloaded Win 8.1 from Microsoft site and on unzipping to install and upgrade my Win 8, it's taking like forever for the installation to progress past 0% complete.Please what do I do?...
  6. Can I Update 1 Processor At A Time?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I Update 1 Processor At A Time?: I'm using an Acer TravelMate with Windows 10 Pro and scared that if there is an imbalance or something in the processors, the notebook might crash and not respond or my notebook might not work. It has 4 processors (Intel Pentium CPU N3700 w/ 1.60 GHz) and I want everything to...
  7. Resetting computer which originally had Win 7 and was updated to Win 1

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Resetting computer which originally had Win 7 and was updated to Win 1: Is it possible to reset a computer which originally had Windows 7 and was upgraded to Windows 10? I want it back to the way it was AFTER the upgrade, just as if it had been a new computer with Win 10 installed. I have backed up all data files (and have all software for...
  8. Latest 7-Zip Update

Latest 7-Zip Update: Latest 7-Zip Version 18.04 beta 25 April 2018 [img] 7-Zip Changelog: http://7-zip.org/history.txt 18.04 beta 2018-04-25 ------------------------- - The speed for LZMA/LZMA2 compressing was increased by 8% for fastest/fast compression levels and by 3% for...
  9. WIN 10 REGISTRY Compared to Win 7/8

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    WIN 10 REGISTRY Compared to Win 7/8: Hi, I have lots of Registry tweaks ( reg files ) from the win7/8 forums collected over the years. When I set up win 8, I noticed many of the win 7 reg settings were similar and worked in win 8, but a few did not, mainly to do with ui iirc. Now I want to use the...
  10. Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?: I have been under the impression that Win 10 may be like an upgrade so you don't have to re-install all your desktop programs. If it is a "refresh" what a pain *Sad If it is an upgrade will it kill Windows Media Center or might it actually survive to run in Win 10? 5917